BC’s boat/dumpster fire thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Ok, here is the current boat situation at my house. Went ahead on the bass boat above and brought it home for $400, with all paperwork. It’s at my dads house now, will probably go get it next weekend. All it needs is seats, which I can get from the old fish and ski boat. I also have the troller motor, fish finder, and rod holders that I’ll put on it. I haven’t seen it yet, but dad says the floor is solid and it’s in good shape other than the carpet is ratty.

I’ve also scored a free Jon boat, trailer, and 10 hp Johnson tiller motor. It’s rough, but it’s free so it’s for me. I’ll do something with it, at least clean it up and repaint the trailer. And, I’m still going to get the fish and ski, part it out and scrap the hull. I’ll keep that trailer and rent it out. One way or another I’ll be on the water this summer coming.
You must be registered for see images attach

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
mf, wheres the brown girl sitting?

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
mf, wheres the brown girl sitting?
It’s sitting in front of my shop, collecting pine needles unfortunately. I cranke it every couple of weeks, but it’s developed a whining sound under the hood and I just haven’t tried to diagnose it. The steering was also wonky the last time I moved it, so the power steering pump may be on its way out.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I got the bass boat home last night. My dad was coming up about halfway to my house to visit with some friends at kings mountain state park, so we drove down and met him to pick it up. The tires were rotten, and even though I took my time, we blew a trailer tire out about 10 miles from home. Changing a driver side tire in the dark on the side of a major 4 lane highway is hairy. Put the older spare on and limped it home at 50 mph. Luckily, Walmart sells the size I need for less than $50 each so that won’t be too bad. Pulled it out in the sun just now, and started pulling the old nasty carpet out so it can dry out some. Blew most of the old leaves and junk out, started taking stock of what I’ve gotten myself into. Doesn’t look too bad so far. I have to get out later and figure out what to do to get it inside my shop. Going to have to do some rearranging.

Last edited:

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size

Here’s a few pictures after getting most of the carpet torn out. No soft spots! Ok first question, the last picture shows what the paint originally looked like. The picture above it shows how it currently looks. So I noticed last night when the dew fell on it, it looked rejuvenated, so what process can I use to bring it back to life? It originally had red carpet, but I’m thinking with the red metal flake that it’ll look good with black carpet.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Is the decking fiberglass or composite? Unfortunately a lot of builders will just carpet over bare plywood. If you're lucky they'll paint it with resin.

For the finish I would try compounding and polishing. If the oxidation is really deep you may have to wet sand. I would probably avoid black carpet. It will get painfully hot in the sunlight.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Is the decking fiberglass or composite? Unfortunately a lot of builders will just carpet over bare plywood. If you're lucky they'll paint it with resin.

For the finish I would try compounding and polishing. If the oxidation is really deep you may have to wet sand. I would probably avoid black carpet. It will get painfully hot in the sunlight.
It’s fiberglass thankfully. I think it’s going to be ok. Thats a good point about the black carpet, but I feel like res carpet and red paint is too much red.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
It’s fiberglass thankfully. I think it’s going to be ok. Thats a good point about the black carpet, but I feel like res carpet and red paint is too much red.

Grey goes with red too. I guess a lot of people find it too bland, but I think it's a good combination. You don't want to go too light either, because dirt, so grey is a workable compromise.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Grey goes with red too. I guess a lot of people find it too bland, but I think it's a good combination. You don't want to go too light either, because dirt, so grey is a workable compromise.
That would be a nice color. I was thinking maybe tan, but it would show dirt. I got a little too aggressive when I was working the old carpet off, ended up removing a layer of skin too. Man it’s sore today.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Ouch.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Finally pulled the battery out of my square so I could mess with the boat. The motor looks great under the cowling, like it was just ran last week. All the linkages are hooked up and move freely, choke throttle and all. The bilge pump and aerator work, I don’t have nav lights yet and there’s a switch there that says fuel that I’m still figuring out what it does. So in every nook and cranny I find, all I can see is fiberglass. Where can I look to get some eyes on the stringers? Or is there a chance that it’s built entirely of fiberglass? Like I’ve said before, this is my first rodeo.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The powers that be tell me a glass boat rots from the inside out.And a bad floor and of course any area water gets in under the floors will cause rot.And a bad transom can cost a small fortune to repair.
I've seen many boats abandoned on private property and most were free, and every single one was where it needed to be....abandoned.lol. Not a single one would save Gilligan.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes