BC’s boat/dumpster fire thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
First of all, take your time. No rush.
Second, with a white lower unit and mid-section I am thinking Johnson. So yes. You probably have a small Johnson.
It might be small, but it’ll get the job done…..

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
First of all, take your time. No rush.
Second, with a white lower unit and mid-section I am thinking Johnson. So yes. You probably have a small Johnson.
Well, you were right. Small Johnson lol. It comes with new wood for the seats, it just hasn’t been put in.
You must be registered for see images attach

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size

This one is way closer to being turn key ready to go fishing than what I have now. Bonus points that it’s titled lol.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Went the other direction. “ borrowed” dad’s 18’ pontoon that’s been sitting for a couple years. Just about got it cleaned up. Going to get it running again and put her in the water.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I was able to get the pontoon cleaned up and running. All it seemed to need was some fresh gas and some run time. Dad would take it to the lake, run it about 5 minutes to get to his fishing spot and park it. After he’s finished, he’d drive it 5 minutes back to the truck and load it up and let it sit for 6 months. We ran a tank of gas through it in one weekend, mostly at 3/4 - full throttle for an hour or so at a time. It’s running great other than a small stumble off idle.

I did have to put new wood under one seat, and do some repairs to the driver seat due to the wood getting soft. The radio no longer works so I’m working on putting one in along with replacing the rotten speakers. I also found out the hard way that leaving the top up in a rainstorm was a bad idea. The water didn’t drain, it just collected and cause the aluminum frame to collapse. I got creative and got that mostly straightened out.

Dad ended up buying that small aluminum boat from his pastor. He got it cleaned out and it’s really a solid little boat. The 15 hp Johnson is a 2015 model. Hasn’t run a couple years, but I have no doubt it’ll fire up. I’m going to buy it off him to use as a small fishing boat.

I’ve got the feeling that by the end of the summer, the new will wear off of the pontoon and my family will get tired of it. And my wife will be tired of it sitting in the yard. So it’ll go back to my dad’s I’m sure.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
The saga continues…..

Well my son decided that he wanted to play football and baseball this fall, and since I work every other weekend, all the pontoon has done is sit in the yard. Dad wanted it back under a shed, so he took it back to his house. But, it went back with a new radio, running great and all cleaned up for him. And, he brought the aluminum boat up for me to get running and sell for a profit.

But, the more I mess with it, the more I like it. I’ve got it listed for sale right now, but as y’all know springtime is the best time to sell a boat, what with tax returns coming in and the warm weather coming back. So, I’m tempted to keep the little guy for a few months and try it out on my off days.

I put one new seat in, and found that the other one was cut too short so I’ll have to cut another piece, and then cut a triangular piece to go up front. I put some fresh gas in the tank this morning, and after about 5 pulls the Johnson fired up like it wanted to go out. All I have left to do really is put a battery in to see if the navigation lights work. It’s really what I wanted to begin with, a cheap simple boat to take the kids out on. I had pretty much given up on a boat, but this one seems like it would be easy to maintain.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128