BC’s boat/dumpster fire thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well, I finally got around to working on the boat. Put in a new fuel line, plugs and impeller. I wasn’t able to get it to fire off but I didn’t really mess with it a whole lot. I’m thinking about selling it honestly. The new has kind of worn off, and the reality has set in of what it will cost to maintain it every year. I know in my heart that I’ll never use it enough to justify the amount of money I’ll spend. I also really want an AK, so the boat may get sacrificed.

But you gotta have something to keep you occupied so you aren't swapping bumpers all the time :rofl:

Just kidding, of course. Sort of :)

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Well I’ve been messing with this boat some more, and I’m getting aggravated. It won’t even pretend to start, even on starting fluid. I don’t think I have spark, but I can’t confirm because of very short plug wires. What normally goes wrong on an outboard to not have spark? Is there an easy way to bypass the kill switch just to rule out a bad switch?

Last edited:

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
The bass boat is gone, I couldn’t get it to start. Guy that got it let me know after he got it home that it turned out to be a neutral switch on the linkages back at the motor. Oh well, it’s gone. I ended up with two more free trailers, and a 14’ John boat like I originally wanted anyway. The rust color trailer is what the John will go on for now. It’s a bit too wide, but I can adjust the bunks to make it work. Needs new bunks, lights, tires and some paint. But it’ll give me something to work on. The white shorlandr trailer is pretty well built, not sure what I’m going to do with that one yet. Might make a cooker, might try to get into the boat moving business.

I’ve got a 10 HP Johnson for it, if it’s not too heavy. Also, does anyone know what kind of carpet you put on boat trailer bunks?
You must be registered for see images attach

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
This is the big shorlandr trailer. Open to suggestions as to what to do with it.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I'll sell you mine for 5K. Her name is Darth Vader. Recently installed a '92 Evinrude.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I hacked a old boat trailer and set a bandsaw mill in it. Just saying....

Attachments

• IMG_20220320_180947_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20220320_180947_hdr.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 50

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'll sell you mine for 5K. Her name is Darth Vader. Recently installed a '92 Evinrude.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Are you feeling ok? Or just moving on to another boat?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This is the big shorlandr trailer. Open to suggestions as to what to do with it.

But the more rusty trailer doesn’t have bunks, it has rollers, so how do you propose to adjust bunks?
And any indoor outdoor carpeting will work for bunks, or bunk carpet. Although don’t need anything special in your case.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Looks like more than a $5k setup from what I see…

Thanks. I just added new LED's on the front and a new Deck Hand Winch. Got a new cover coming for it, new prop and down imaging sonar.

But the more rusty trailer doesn’t have bunks, it has rollers, so how do you propose to adjust bunks?
And any indoor outdoor carpeting will work for bunks, or bunk carpet. Although don’t need anything special in your case.

I use these. Better than bunks and rollers IMHO. I bet I had my set for 5-6 years and hundreds of launches. I can slide it right off the trailer with good shove with bow line attached. Drives on and self centers just as easy. I do have aluminum hull though.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
If you zoom in and look to each side of the rollers, you’ll see the bunk brackets are there. The bunks were rotten, I already tore them off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg