BC’s boat/dumpster fire thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Ok here we go again. I know, beating a dead horse. But anyway, I’m still thinking about dragging this thing home. If I do that, and if I decide to put the effort in, would anyone here be willing to guide me on doing the fiberglass work to at least fix the front deck? And to help me diagnose the outboard situation? This thing keeps calling me, every time I look for boats. Because it’s already here.

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ok here we go again. I know, beating a dead horse. But anyway, I’m still thinking about dragging this thing home. If I do that, and if I decide to put the effort in, would anyone here be willing to guide me on doing the fiberglass work to at leas fix the front deck? And to help me diagnose the outboard situation? This thing keeps calling me, every time I look for boats. Because it’s already here.
Buddy, noone knows what someone elses business is like and shouldn't, but I thoroughly don't understand why you'd have any interest.
Anyway, if you can pass up trying to get it seaworthy, don't even bother with a trailer or the hull work until you get the engine 100%. Yard that thing off of there, make a transom to mount it to with the outdrive in a barrel and get the engine going first. If the engine is no good, then the boat is worth -$0 .

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
There has to be something better to buy or fix up.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I used to work in a shop that made custom motorcycle bodies and fairings out of fiberglass. Trust me, you don't want anything to do with it. It smells, the fumes are toxic, it makes you scratch like a dog with fleas, it ruins clothes, and if you mix the catalyst wrong the boat will spontaneously combust into a big fireball. Just move along and don't look back.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Ok ok the advice given here is not wasted, I promise. My intent is to get the trailer, stop by on the way back and grab the boat and then get it home. Asses from there. If the floor is rotted, I likely won’t go any farther. If the only fiberglass work needed is the front deck, then I’ll move on to the engine. If it’s trash, I have two more outboards. If none of them are salvageable, then I’ll sell the good parts, scrap the hull, and keep the trailer. If nothing else maybe I can make money hauling boats for other misguided souls.

If nothing else, I get a free boat trailer, and I’ll have satisfied my curiosity about whether or not it can be saved.

Last edited:

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Buddy, noone knows what someone elses business is like and shouldn't, but I thoroughly don't understand why you'd have any interest.
Anyway, if you can pass up trying to get it seaworthy, don't even bother with a trailer or the hull work until you get the engine 100%. Yard that thing off of there, make a transom to mount it to with the outdrive in a barrel and get the engine going first. If the engine is no good, then the boat is worth -$0 .
It’s hard to explain. But when I see something sitting, boat, truck, ATV, whatever, I can’t help but think about it in its glory days, when someone hauled/drove it home all shiny and new. And I want to bring it home and save it, like a lost puppy.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It’s hard to explain. But when I see something sitting, boat, truck, ATV, whatever, I can’t help but think about it in its glory days, when someone hauled/drove it home all shiny and new. And I want to bring it home and save it, like a lost puppy.
I'm with ya, I know that same feeling.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
And I didn’t mean any ill will by my post. Just an outsiders view based on dollars and sense. JMO.
Good luck with it. We all like good projects or we likely wouldn’t be on this forum.
That’s the best part of this place. Vast majority are “built not bought” type of people!

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Dollars and sense, I have none of either lol. No ill will taken, I know it’s not everyone’s thing to take on a dumpster fire. But, the planets definitely seem to be lining up. My dads friend just gave me another boat motor, and my mom found a nice Coleman cooler in the road that’s she’s giving me for my boat lol.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
If boats or old cars and trucks made financial sense we'd all be driving Teslas.

Good luck with the project and I'll be happy to jump in wherever I can. I've spent plenty of time scratching the fiberglass itch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL