battery post mystery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Check this out guys: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/r...=1274511&keyword=+battery +group +size +chart

Group 24 is probably the closest in terms of size to the group 78 that the truck originally came with. When my GRP 78 battery is done, I plan to go to a group 27. In most battery lines the 24 and 27 batteries have very similar CCA ratings, but the 27 typically has a higher reserve compacity, which basically means you can drain it for longer before it's dead.

My rule of thumb has always been to run the largest battery I can fit under the hood, so my Dodge truck has a GRP 27, it calls for a 24, my Jeep calls for a 34, and I've put a 27 in it, ect.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Check this out guys: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/r/advice/car-maintenance/battery-size-chart?ds_rl=1274511&keyword=+battery +group +size +chart

Group 24 is probably the closest in terms of size to the group 78 that the truck originally came with. When my GRP 78 battery is done, I plan to go to a group 27. In most battery lines the 24 and 27 batteries have very similar CCA ratings, but the 27 typically has a higher reserve compacity, which basically means you can drain it for longer before it's dead.

My rule of thumb has always been to run the largest battery I can fit under the hood, so my Dodge truck has a GRP 27, it calls for a 24, my Jeep calls for a 34, and I've put a 27 in it, ect.
I may have though 22. There is a 2_ battery that is barely larger than a 51 in the length, width, but it is shorter than a 51

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@AuroraGirl,

I think you may be right on that group number. You know more about that stuff than I do. I went out and looked at the battery that came out of my old Honda and it's a 51-R. The battery I just bought fit the truck exactly. It was like I had to try to get my old man's mind to imagine the size of my battery and standing there in the store try to imagine the battery I was looking at being the same size of the one in the truck. I didn't take it with me to Advance Auto because I had to go to the pharmacy to get some meds and go to a couple of other places, and it was when I got in the truck to go was when it wouldn't start so I just grabbed my son's car and left. I decided to go ahead and go to Advance to buy the new battery on the fly. I had already looked at a new battery over there some time ago when I found out Advance carried Die Hard battery's.

I've been using Die Hard's since 1972! And they have never let me down. They have always lasted longer than they're guaranteed for and I've only had one go bad before the end of the guarantee period in all that time. The Die Hard that was in my truck was really okay and I didn't need a new battery. I tested the one that was in my truck when I got back to the house with the new one by taking that positive terminal off, cleaning it, and putting it back on. Everything came right back, lights, starting, everything. But it was about to come to the end of it's guarantee period, by a couple of days, and I didn't want to take a chance of getting stranded somewhere with a dead battery.

You know these days things aren't made as good as they used to be. I had to take that into account. In case that problem happened again and that time it damaged the battery that was old to begin with, and I'd end up having to get a new battery anyway. And I was already looking at buying a new battery so I pulled the trigger. Now I'll deal with the cable's and I'll have new stuff to power everything.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@SirRobyn0,

Yes, that's exactly my belief. I've always bought the largest battery that was for my vehicle, plus. So I would have that extra capacity in case I had a slow starter or something like that. I didn't want a weak battery that if it just had one more pull the car would have started. No, screw that. I can always change a starter out but if you're somewhere and your battery is dead you're out of luck. And I don't ever carry jumper cables with me. I live in the South and if any of you know what that means that's why I don't. I don't want to spend all my time jumping every person who doesn't take care of their electrical system to mess mine up jumping some POS.
I never did pay any attention to what group my battery was in until here recently.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@Raider L Where do you even get a diehard battery any more?

I remember when they were pretty common, but no more Sears left in my area, in fact I don't think there are any even left on this side of the mountains, I'd have to drive to eastern wa to find the only open Sears in the state, at least that I'm aware of.

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
@Raider L Where do you even get a diehard battery any more?

I remember when they were pretty common, but no more Sears left in my area, in fact I don't think there are any even left on this side of the mountains, I'd have to drive to eastern wa to find the only open Sears in the state, at least that I'm aware of.
Advance Auto Parts bought the DieHard name from Sears, so you can find them there if you happen to have that chain in your area.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Advance Auto Parts bought the DieHard name from Sears, so you can find them there if you happen to have that chain in your area.
what he said. Infact, Advanced auto dropped having INTERSTATE BATTERIES to stock Diehard... ngl they seem cheap. prob bought the name and applied it to johnson controls clearance shelf bargain binners to be the same as the store brands they just happen to have a store brand name that anyone has ever cared about

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Oh ok, there are a handful of advance stores around, but way more Carquests which was bought by advance a few years ago. CarQ use to have their own battery line, but I just checked and they carry diehard as well now.

I'll have to keep that in mind if someone at the shop requests one. Myself I'm pretty sold on Interstate batteries, A/C delco and world source (I think that last one is only available wholesale though). I know the older A/C delco batteries, in particular the seal top batteries were not good at all, but the modern, ones with removable caps are really pretty good. They call them the gold professional line. What's even better is 42 month free replacement, as in not prorated. That's 3 1/2 years of free replacement. Interstate while a good battery their prices have gotten out of control in the last 5 years or so. Any while I believe paying a little extra for a better product is worth while, I do not believe in paying extra for the same old battery and the same old prorated warranty. On my personal vehicles I'm down to having only one with an interstate still in it.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
what he said. Infact, Advanced auto dropped having INTERSTATE BATTERIES to stock Diehard... ngl they seem cheap. prob bought the name and applied it to johnson controls clearance shelf bargain binners to be the same as the store brands they just happen to have a store brand name that anyone has ever cared about
I just looked it up and Johnson Controls is listed as the manufacture for Diehard.....

Didn't they make excide batteries to during the excide debacle?

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
I just looked it up and Johnson Controls is listed as the manufacture for Diehard.....

Didn't they make excide batteries to during the excide debacle?
Exide is actually their own company, and not affiliated with Johnson Controls to the best of my knowledge. Exide makes paperweights that look like car batteries, and I remember them seemingly making every store brand battery during the 1990's and earlier.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Exide is actually their own company, and not affiliated with Johnson Controls to the best of my knowledge. Exide makes paperweights that look like car batteries, and I remember them seemingly making every store brand battery during the 1990's and earlier.
Ok I just went and looked that up to and you are correct, not sure why I thought otherwise. I just remember in the 90's seeing and replacing a LOT of dead and often leaking excide batteries. So much so we'd call the clean up of the mess left behind "another excide debacle".

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@SirRobyn0,

Yep, yep. It's to bad to because many years ago Sears did the best repair work in town. Everyone there seem pretty professional, of course every place had good and bad but in general they were all pretty good, and basically affordable, especially back in the day.

I'll tell you, there were so many good places to get your car worked on by people who cared and affordable prices, i.e. Sears, Montgomery ward, J.C. Penney even had a car shops that were as good as Sears and cheaper. And car part stores everywhere. Pep Boys was the last to go here in town, and they were down to only one store in the city across the river. We're kinda of a twin city here, and Pep Boys just closed their last store earlier this year.
No Sears, no Pep Boys, no Radio Shack, no car part stores, except franchise stores, left where you could get all the performance parts right off the shelf, except O'Reilly has some MSD and some Accel, no place to get your car worked on barely. We do have a few shops left but they've gotten so expensive. It's almost down to having to take you car to the dealer to get work done and just go ahead and bring your right leg and your left arm in when you come.

I'm just glad I grew up in a time in America where all that was common place and people were making plenty of money in the auto parts and car repair businesses and they were everywhere. These kids today will not ever know what it used to be like and that's to bad. Even though there were some cars that were POS's but it was still fun to run around town getting parts and beer. And everybody knew at least one person who worked on cars for a living and all the places where that was going on.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
they also have a love-love relationship with cracked cases, acid outside of them, brittle platic, bulging, all the possibly corrosions. labels fade bad too

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
they also have a love-love relationship with cracked cases, acid outside of them, brittle platic, bulging, all the possibly corrosions. labels fade bad too
Yum.

These almost sound like a credible Christmas present for my ex...

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yum.

These almost sound like a credible Christmas present for my ex...

You must be registered for see images attach

this interstate is prob doing beter than those exide

You must be registered for see images attach

this decepticon is also prob doin better

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef