battery post mystery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grumpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Regarding all electrical issues, including ALL trouble codes!

After 35 years, I still find it unbelievable the sheer volume of techs/mechanics who refuse to perform the basics when diagnosing any problems regardless of whether they are starting issues, lamps or most common today: engine codes and drivability problems.
When we look in any service manual, service bulletin or review OEM instructions online, the very first verification is proper battery supply and GROUND. With the advent of A/D Convertors (analog to digital signal) the processes may not function at peak efficiency, though they may still work (sort of,) not all data is processed correctly.
Since we first started producing vehicles, everyone's focus has always been on the battery positive feed and the condition of the ground cables is normally overlooked. In short, you can never have enough ground cables on a vehicle. And they have to be in good condition.

I have seen people insist the starter, battery, alternator have all been faulty.... even to the point where they claim "it just goes through starters every ten months" (!!!!!) when the actual problem is CABLES.

Modern vehicles will generate all manner of drivability issues if ground wires are damaged or wiring is rubbing - signals will begin to become intermittent or low, causing the ECM to generate a code which may make a poor choice to replace expensive, and non-returnable sensors. The laptop DOES NOT tell you everything, it just spews whatever information it receives.

Basics first. They are always the less expensive, quicker and easier route.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@AuroraGirl I wanna talk conversation style so I'm going to quote what you said and respond in italics.

"is 78 when the Cadillac bodys downsized?" Would have to be 78 or 79, but honestly I do not know for sure.

"But cadillac always special. My buick I do believe comes in under 4000 but with a 455 and th400 and some things it could be passing 4000 but not much, I think. But its a downsized on the C body which i believe is basically a B body with a wider frame width, small wheel end changes, but otherwise pretty much same design. Which the Fleetwood was the D platform, basically the same, yes?" AFAIK that is correct.

"and the reason I kinda dig on the cadillac commercial chassis is because the impala/caprice, roadmasters could be had with LT1 and and some nice gearing and I would bet you the Commercial chassiss could have that lol!" I completely agree. During the 90's Cadillac seemed slow to adapt stuff like FI in the full sized rear wheel drive, when the road master and caprice were already running them. A lot of caprice's went to police departments, and there are caprice hearses out there, what I don't know is if those were built on a dedicated chassis, or if they were simply built on the HD version meant for PD.

"Is the late era CC for cadillac a RWD Or would those 2000s ones be fwd with 4.6 north stars and 4t80e the Northstar and the 4t80e were definitely the only transverse setup that could take the weights tho and be decent on the uppidty" The last rear wheel drive Cadillac rolled out I think in 96, so anything after that would have been FWD.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
A couple years ago when they no longer had their contract with... I forget who.. they went and had Interstate which was actually a big deal like cool thats actually pretty convenient and the bulk pricing meant it was rather a good option. but as soon as sears went up in smoke they pounced on diehard and dumped interstate and that is where it sits now. I think it is johnson controls, they have the same appearance. east penn makes farm and fleet batteries at this time(if anyone was curious), I would guess napa are probably also east penn. If I recall correctly, everstart and interstate are made by exide. I just googled, it appears interstate is being made in large part by johnson controls and east penn and exide. I didnt investigate further but I guess that means huh. If that is true, my guess is the case design and possibly label may differ or they are doing regions of the country OR they are doing lines of the batteries. JOhnson controls is here in wisconsin, east penn is in pennsylvania. idk where exide is but It would make sense if region then to me.

Also optima is johnson controls. Duralast is johnson controls last I checked. I believe oreillies brand is either exide or east penn.

AC Delco is either a 4th party or johnson controls from my quick google search.

Important thing to note is that even tho they may have similar sources, they can still very much differ in quality, density, longevity, etc and that probably has to do with either a different quality standard or just made to specs. these big companies and their large agreements could be 300 pages of specs on batteries down to one page for name rights you never know
I think excide is in Mexico and even I think that Johnson might have a Mexico factory. Yes they can vary. But there is few companies is my point and like I said pounds of lead is the main thing so heavies battery in a given size is what you want for best price.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You must be registered for see images attach

This this is HEAVY

But really nice one. just almost 60 pounds on its own and when your arms are out from your core and youre holding it higher up than down low, doesnt feeel like its only 50 some pounds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK