Ball Joints: self vs shop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
so I know i can get the AC Delco ball joints for 127 shipped from Rockauto for all 4, I could rent a press (or just buy a harbor freight one), anything else I would need for tools?

or I could pay a local shop 500.00 and be done with it. 300 in labor rest is parts. they said if i bring my own parts labor goes up 30-40%

is it worth it to do these myself?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I rented the ball joint pres tool kit. That along with what you mention should do it

Sent from the dust in front of you!

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
do i need the special "spanner socket" i keep reading about but can't seem to find a picture or a price on?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I'm not sure mine is a 2wd

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Well that doesn't help, anyone else know?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Telling us what vehicle you have first would definitely go a very long way.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Doesn't it say under my user name or is everyone using mobile?

Anyway 85 k1500

I lifted front end up, tie rod ends are shot 1/8"+ play. Wheel wobbles front to back and top to bottom. I'm questioning wheel bearings. I didn't see any play in the knuckle, but between metal plate behind wheel and the knuckle.

Sorry terms are possibly wrong

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes you are going to need that 4 point socket to remove the hub to get at any of the parts. Its not a hard break down but it is time consuming.

One of those tools is worth its weight in gold.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I'm getting ready to do the same thing to my truck, but I'm going with Moog ball joints.
I've been looking into it for some time now. Your gonna need a spanner socket to remove the inner adjusting sleeve on the top ball joints. I have read that a lot of people don't even mess with it, just use the old one with the new ball joints. I'm not gonna do that, I figure do it right with new everything. I went to oreilys auto looking for that spanner socket, and the didn't have one, nor rent one. I have found some online though.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yea I use mobile all the time. It doesn't show your Sig. Unless you create one in the tapatalk app. I wish you the best with this project :)

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
At this point i think i am going to redo the steering and wheel bearings, if i still have play then i will do the ball joints
Depending on cost i might do the ball joints too.

Anyone have a link to the socket?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Doesn't it say under my user name or is everyone using mobile?

Anyway 85 k1500

I lifted front end up, tie rod ends are shot 1/8"+ play. Wheel wobbles front to back and top to bottom. I'm questioning wheel bearings. I didn't see any play in the knuckle, but between metal plate behind wheel and the knuckle.

Sorry terms are possibly wrong

If there is movement from between the metal cover/dust shield and the knuckle then it is not wheel bearings. The wheel bearings may also be an issue. But that dust shield is directly bolted to the knuckle so if the dust shield is moving then there is play in the knuckle ball joints.

Moog seems to be the better choice IMO

Tie rod ends are easy to do your self the knuckle ball joints not so much. If a competent shop will do all 4 knuckle ball joints for $500 I would say that's a good deal.

Why would labor go up if you bring your own parts ? That seems sketchy

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
They make money on parts, So essentially they will make the same no matter where the parts come from.

Wheel play could also be the hub itself. From my reading and watching videos the spindle nuts could just be loose, with this truck i wouldn't be suprised.

I think for sure i will be redoing all of the ball joints/moveable connections on the steering, just need to find proper names

bdiamond

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
The harbor freight press isn't worth the trip there even if they gave it to you. The parts store presses are usually pretty heavy duty. If you want to buy one just pay the deposit and keep it.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
They make money on parts, So essentially they will make the same no matter where the parts come from.

Wheel play could also be the hub itself. From my reading and watching videos the spindle nuts could just be loose, with this truck i wouldn't be suprised.

I think for sure i will be redoing all of the ball joints/moveable connections on the steering, just need to find proper names

Maybe but I have never seen the spindle come loose. I have seen knuckle joints destroyed and the spindle stayed put.

I could see like 10-15% but not 30-40 especially when you consider that 30-40% of $200 is 1/3 less then 30-40% of $300. I just get pissed off at businesses trying to hide that they are simply taking your money like they think they are tricking you! Its supposed to be 10% to cover cost of paper work associated labor.

I guess the thing is that I think$500 is a low ball quote to get you in the door and then your gonna end up paying $1000 or more by the time its all said and done.

I have yet to find a shop that's not run by con artists!

There is a local place here called the Gear Center and so far they are the only guys that seem half way honest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1