Bad ground or wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdmartin1990

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey guys, my 86 k10 has a wiring issue. Anybody with any advice? Most likely area? Or is it a search until its found?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
what kind of wiring issue? Help us help you.. doesn't start? has no lights? gauges don't work? Radio is dead? give us the issue and we'll get you in a direction..

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I usually start by cutting all the wires out and starting over.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Blinker fluid is low. Use some eye drops and it will solve the problem.

sdmartin1990

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Firstly, the radio was going in and out. At the same time, headlights and blinkers worked. Headlights would not go bright and one would cut off when I hit high beam. And blinkers did worked at this time.

I replaced battery then this started happening.

Then was replacing tail light lenses. Replaced all bulbs with new. Now when brakes are pressed all exterior lights come on except the passenger side brake light.

Also, blinkers dont work with headlights on. It seems like a total mess. I am wishing it's only a bad ground.

I hope all that makes sense.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I would check your grounds on the light circuits. There are a couple of them. One on the front core support. One under the bed by the taillights. Make sure they are clean (no rust or corrosion) and tight.

I'm sure there are more... but that's what I know off the top of my head.

sdmartin1990

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thank you dvdswan. Sounds like I gave some work to do Saturday.

sdmartin1990

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thank you Arkansas_V8. I was thinking starting at battery checking fuses. And I will look at that while I am there

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
sounds like shes possessed. Maybe you need to preform an exorcism. on a more serious note. make sure you are using the correct bulb and check your grounds. A test light works well for that. connect the test light to a good ground touch it to the suspected bad ground circut it lights the ground is bad

sdmartin1990

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thank C10MixMaster, I will do that too.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I'd say to start with checking/cleaning grounds first.. There are a couple to go to first. there should be ground wires going from the core support down to the frame, check the engine to frame ground usually located on RH rear side of head to firewall. there a ground under the bed for the rear harness. (it's location might vary) There's also one up under the dash above the hood latch parking brake release. It's kind of a bear to see and get to, but you'll know it because it has I believe 6 prongs on it. Also, the bulkhead connector at the fire wall (on the engine side) is a good place for some headaches to start and end. Try taking it apart and checking for corrosion and make sure the pins are clean. That's where everything from the inside of the truck meets everything for the outside of the truck. I've seen those have corrosion and moisture in them and they can be a source for stray voltage and bad ground or power getting across pins and back feeding onto other circuits. Since you have a couple different issues going on, checking and cleaning the grounds and taking apart the bulkhead connector and inspecting and cleaning it will be good places to start. Just be careful on the bulkhead connector, there's a couple different connectors all tied into one. Also, I've had issues with headlights like you describe being right at the connector on the back of the headlight bulbs. They are often dry rotted and brittle so be careful taking them apart, but i'd look there first for the headlight stuff. sometimes a dab of antiseize will help with connection issues. just take it one step at a time and eliminate what you can.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk