Axle Retaining Ring (C-clip) with Warn Hubs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Today I removed the factory Auto Locking hubs on my 1981 K-10.

I installed a Warn Spindle Nut kit #29988 on each side.
On one side, I installed the Warn supplied Axle Retaining Ring (C-Clip) which goes in a goove on the splined axle, up next to the Warn Spindle Nut, inboard of the hublock
On the other side I DID NOT install a Axle Retaining Ring on the splined axle.

After the Spindle Kid was installed, I mounted Warn Premium Manual Hubs #20990.
Tested 4x4, each front corner works fine and smooth.

Question - Is the Axle Retaining Ring (C-Clip) installed on the splined axle shaft necessary? Is it harmful? Does it matter if it is there or not? (this truck is used in light duty 4x4 mode)

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
According to Warn's installation instructions-"NOTE: Some early model solid front axle may not accept axle retaining rings (77 ½-79 Ford’s, 81-84 and some 85 Chevy/GMC’s). Use them if they can be installed correctly (outboard of the hub body) but their use is not mandatory and no durability loss will be suffered."

That being said, if you can get one on you should try your best to have the other side match.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If the groovey is there, I always install them. I think it helps keep the axle from traveling quite so much, Yeah what SS said, make them match.

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Many thanks for the expert opinions. Out of an overabundance of caution, I went ahead and pulled the Warn hub and added the "C-Clip" to the other side. (would like to strangle the engineer that came of with the retaining ring design for the Warn hubs, one almost impossible task getting that retaining ring off)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1