Warn 4x4 hubs on top of hub caps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
@Grit dog thanks man I appreciate it. Only coming down about 1-2” not much…tweaks to make it mine. I only paid about 115 for the set…time and Dremel / polish yours will come out clean too. I think I have a way to cleanup the sanded edge with black to make the from match the back…might also use a busted pair to make a cap.
Thanks for your help
You have to set up the height and stance to make YOU happy. We all have our own opinions on these things. @Grit dog has one of the coolest trucks on this forum and I love every pic he posts but his truck is a bit too high for what I wanted/needed. I think your truck looks great in those pics but I would struggle with it sitting that high. But I am Old and Mrs. Redfish is short...so climbing into a really tall truck isn't fun anymore.

I am between you and Baton Rouge, I would like to see that Truck in person one day.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I was just giving ole boy a hard time!
But appreciate the compliment. Same goes for your rig!
I’m more excited to see that wheel setup!
Cause love it or hate it, in a couple weeks the ole Freedom Wagon will be sporting the same look!
And if I/we don’t like it I hope there’s enough that do so I can get my moneys back out of the rims!

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I was just giving ole boy a hard time!
But appreciate the compliment. Same goes for your rig!
I’m more excited to see that wheel setup!
Cause love it or hate it, in a couple weeks the ole Freedom Wagon will be sporting the same look!
And if I/we don’t like it I hope there’s enough that do so I can get my moneys back out of the rims!
I kind of think no matter what you are going to still have a Super Cool look. And a 4wd 3/4 ton is just so d***ed useful.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I kind of think no matter what you are going to still have a Super Cool look. And a 4wd 3/4 ton is just so d***ed useful.
Ours isn’t useful. Kid wouldn’t even haul stuff to the Goodwill in it last week. Didn’t want to scratch the bed!
Lol
You must be registered for see images attach

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well he spent more than a few hours making the bed “un scratched” and I feel the same way to be fair.
We got 2 other pickups and a beater suv in the driveway so no need to scratch the newest paint!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@mike83
I wanted to share, on these DSW wheels, the hubcaps seem to fit with a different “offset” than OE type rims….I think.
The hubcaps sit “outward” further than stock. I posted a couple pics in the What did you do to you Square thread, of the new wheels.
Stock, a K20 hub would be protruding about an inch? past the hubcap. It sits inside the hubcap by a 1/4” or so.
What I’m saying is those 3/4 ton hubcaps with 1 ton hubs may be closer to the original look than if you put the deeper 1 ton hubcaps on it.

HOTFOOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc k3500 srw
Engine Size
@Grit dog is right one tons have bigger hub caps. These are on my 80 k3500.

Attachments

• 53F0AF7D-F5E2-4DAE-AA23-3D721EB5A7A3.jpeg
    53F0AF7D-F5E2-4DAE-AA23-3D721EB5A7A3.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 45
  • DC711880-9E5F-4F03-A15A-3A6670DD103E.jpeg
    DC711880-9E5F-4F03-A15A-3A6670DD103E.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 39

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^And the actual hubs on the D60 protrude through the hubcap a bit, correct? Assuming OE type rims. Hubs are longer, hubcap is deeper.
On these DSW rims I didn’t notice until installing the hubcaps that the face of the rim at the lugs is inset about an inch from the body of the rim.
If wanting a “stock look” I’m surmising the 1 ton front hubcaps on the OPs wheels would look similar to this.

Not the best pic but the hub locker face sits inboard of the end of the hubcap by about 1/4”, whereas the OPs truck with longer hubs protrude thru the hubcap much more similarly to if the truck had the right hubcaps on OE wheels.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@mike83
Another consideration when thinking about lowering your truck a bit is front tire clearance to the rear lips on the bottom of the fenders.
It was close but didn’t bottom out with the old worn down 315 75 16s on 4” bs 16x8 wheels. Normal on road driving.
I knew what I ordered was going to be tighter but no obvious choices to keep the tire size similar and rims that I wanted.
Being your truck is 6” lift with 1 ton axles on a half ton truck, it may not be exactly 2” different effective difference than my truck with 4” lift.
But I got a rubbing issue at about 3/4 lock on the steering if the suspension compresses much at all while turning.
Just think about how much you can lose in lift and how much functionality is left for your intended use.
I’m mulling options now myself. Not wanting to go 6” lift all around for several reasons. Time, $, won’t fit in the attached garage and IMO the stance and height look just right as is.
I’m batting around either a 1” zero rate or just an axle relocation plate.
Stance plays as much of a role as function in my case since the truck maintains an OE rake front to back now which if actually leveled, looks like it’s dragging @ss due to the GM fender well height differences.
To add to it, the front wheels “look” centered in the wheel wells in stock axle location, moving the axle forward an inch may upset that look where many use that offset purely for function. And it’s a bit more work than a zero rate as you have to offset the sway bar and readjust the drag link as well.
The zero rate would be more plug n play but adds that extra inch to the stance thing.
First world problems….

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
And in hindsight I should have taken care of this issue when I restored the body. Both back fender corners were a little boogered up from rubbing. The truck had been on 35s for probably 15+ years before I got it.
With my lack of time and want to get the truck finished, I straightened and fixed the bottom fender corners back to where they were originally.
In reality I had the perfect opportunity to trim and re-bend those lower corners and it would have been clean and virtually unnoticeable.

JodysCars

Reaction score
First Name
Jody
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@gritdog it’s a 1/4 ton SWB with 1 ton axles. I need the lager hub caps to clear the 8lug axles. The five spoke hubs are much smaller a mistake that DSW helped me figure out. Thanks I would definitely appreciate you checking your clearance before I start widening mine out. I found the caps on eBay and polished them up pretty decent with a Dremel. But they are far from perfect.

Rims are 20x9 4BS DSW steel wheels in flat white
Tires nitro ridge graps 35 x12
Nice setup!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That doesn't sound right at all. The Warn hubs should be the same diameter as the OE hubs. If your hub caps are factory original, they should have a little room. They should not fit perfectly flush around the hub like your pic shows. Are those aftermarket hub caps?

You cannot have a situation where you would have to disassemble the front hubs to change a flat tire. That would be ridiculous. If you have to, sand out the center opening on the hub cap.
I don’t thinK I’ve ever seen after market ones.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoblind