Warn 4x4 hubs on top of hub caps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike83

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado v10
Engine Size
I just got my new rims on yesterday. Forgot to give the tire shop the hubcaps, the rear just snap in place but on the front I have to remove the Warn hub to get the cap on first. Is this correct? Or should the cap just go over the top without removing the hub? The hub cap sits in-between the Warn cap and the components but seems to fit well, all the Allen screws line up and go on easy. I’m just not sure if it is supposed to be that simple or I’m I missing something? New to 4x4’s this is my first classic / square. Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 82

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
That doesn't sound right at all. The Warn hubs should be the same diameter as the OE hubs. If your hub caps are factory original, they should have a little room. They should not fit perfectly flush around the hub like your pic shows. Are those aftermarket hub caps?

You cannot have a situation where you would have to disassemble the front hubs to change a flat tire. That would be ridiculous. If you have to, sand out the center opening on the hub cap.

mike83

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado v10
Engine Size
I thought they we OE hub caps but I guess not. So I guess I’ll have to take it off and sand out the center to get them to slide over the hubs..thanks

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Those wheel centers/covers need to be clearanced. There is no room between the hub and cover.

Strickland

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
First, please post some pics of that on the truck!
I’ve got a set of 20” Detroits on order for 35s and would like to see the setup on your truck!
Second, not that it matters as the front axles and hubs are the same from 1/2 to 3/4 ton and DSW will mount the clips for either the smaller 1/2 ton hubcaps or larger 3/4-1ton caps just the same.
But you have a 1/2 ton in your sig and 3/4 ton hubcaps. All good! I’m hoping that is a better look than the smaller hubcaps on 20s.
Do you have 6 lug or 8 lug axles?
I’ll go slip a 3/4 ton hubcap over the stock hubs on my K 20 and let you know the clearance. I never thought to check, as your hubcaps have to be OEM as no one makes repops of the late 60s/70s/80s poverty caps.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@mike83 Where’d you get those hubcaps? It’s tough to find them especially the 6 spoke 4wd caps in like new condition.

mike83

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado v10
Engine Size
@gritdog it’s a 1/4 ton SWB with 1 ton axles. I need the lager hub caps to clear the 8lug axles. The five spoke hubs are much smaller a mistake that DSW helped me figure out. Thanks I would definitely appreciate you checking your clearance before I start widening mine out. I found the caps on eBay and polished them up pretty decent with a Dremel. But they are far from perfect.

Rims are 20x9 4BS DSW steel wheels in flat white
Tires nitro ridge graps 35 x12

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 98

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Looks awesome! I got 3.5 BS, hoping that extra 1/2” sticking out don’t look too bad. Yours looks just right.
I cheaped out on the trim rings. For now anyway. Love the look though.
Now to get them. Should only be another couple weeks maybe….
I’ll check the clearance when I’m home.
But per the info you provided and the pics, if you have 1 ton axle up front (kinda looks like a D60 cover in the one pic) then that is the problem. The hubs are larger dia and longer than the 10 bolt/ D44 in the 1/2 and 3/4 tons.
There are hubcaps specific to the D60 1 ton squares and the knock out is larger diameter and also the “cone” around the hub is longer or deeper That’s why your hub sticks out so far from the hubcap.

I may be interested in those front hubcaps if you want to get rid of them though. They look better shape than the ones I’ve picked up so far.

Last edited:

mike83

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado v10
Engine Size
@Grit dog i measured earlier your 3.5 the hub cap will be right at the rim they shouldn’t stick out. I have 1 1/4” to the edge. Yes it’s a Dana 60. I didn’t realize they required different hubcaps. Find those was a pain in ass. I also already had stickers made to cover the gold.
Man if you can help me find the right hubs maybe we can talk about a trade.
It had 38’s when I bought it but they rubbed. The wife didn’t like it as is “monster truck” so we got 35’s gonna remove a leaf or so from the 6” lift bring it down a bit. Gotta make sure she like’s it…helps the budget!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yup that’s it. Need 1 ton hub caps. Or they look just fine like that imo. If you can clearance them neatly.
Pic didn’t really work because I still have the old aluminum wheels on it. But you’ve figured out why they’re tight now.
Just keep on the lookout. If anyone has any probably someone on this forum…
There’s a place that sells these online but the really nice ones are probably $100+ ea.
I lucked out and a buddy found a pair of front ones at a garage sale for cheap. They’re not as nice as yours but will clean up pretty good. They’re not dented anyways.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Grit dog i measured earlier your 3.5 the hub cap will be right at the rim they shouldn’t stick out. I have 1 1/4” to the edge. Yes it’s a Dana 60. I didn’t realize they required different hubcaps. Find those was a pain in ass. I also already had stickers made to cover the gold.
Man if you can help me find the right hubs maybe we can talk about a trade.
It had 38’s when I bought it but they rubbed. The wife didn’t like it as is “monster truck” so we got 35’s gonna remove a leaf or so from the 6” lift bring it down a bit. Gotta make sure she like’s it…helps the budget!
Buy her a step stool. Easier than removing springs!
That truck looks bad ass as is!

mike83

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado v10
Engine Size
@Grit dog thanks man I appreciate it. Only coming down about 1-2” not much…tweaks to make it mine. I only paid about 115 for the set…time and Dremel / polish yours will come out clean too. I think I have a way to cleanup the sanded edge with black to make the from match the back…might also use a busted pair to make a cap.
Thanks for your help

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbass91120