1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto-to-Manual Butcher Job

Discussion in 'Manual Transmission & Clutch' started by Powerhouse Ranch, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Powerhouse Ranch

Powerhouse Ranch 3G Connoisseur Supporting Member

First Name:
    Luke
    Truck Year:
    1980 & 1988
    Truck Model:
    C25 & V1500
    Engine Size:
    454 & 350
    AuroraGirl likes this.
  2. Bextreme04

Bextreme04 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Eric
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K25
    Engine Size:
    350-4bbl
    Good info... except for the part about HMMWV's having NP205's. Every one I ever bothered to look at the tag on had a NP241, although the very early ones might have had a 208. There was just no reason to have a NP205, as the only ones they put them in where vehicles that needed a PTO.. which a HMMWV has no room or reason to need.

3. AuroraGirl

AuroraGirl Full Access Member

First Name:
    Taylor
    Truck Year:
    1978, 1980
    Truck Model:
    K10, K25
    Engine Size:
    400(?), 350
    I think there weren PTO needs in purpose used trucks ljke pumps or winches maybe a driveshaft if equipment was towed

iimagine the military would rather have a pto powered winch on a truck than a electric because the engine and t case can spin for a long time and only use disel but the juice needed for a winch is gonna need the diesel to be running the engine and the batterys pulled low to operate which lowers life and next thing uou know you need more diesel for the truck towing the broken down one back to base which used diesel a battery and juice for the truck that could havenust used diesel

4. Bextreme04

First Name:
    Eric
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K25
    Engine Size:
    350-4bbl
    Yeah, that's not how the military operates. They don't care about how much diesel they burn... the M1 can burn up to 6 GALLONS of diesel just to start up, and the HMMWV can have up to a dual 200 amp alternator setup on it.

That being said, hydraulic is far more reliable and resistant to the tons of abuse and lack of maintenance that military vehicles tend to see. There is a milemarker hydraulic winch kit for the M998 that was optional, but it ran on the hydroboost PS system. There really isn't any room in the center tunnel to run a PTO or hydraulic lines from the T-case.

5. AyWoSch Motors

AyWoSch Motors Full Access Member

First Name:
    Ayden
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K1500 Sierra Classic
    Engine Size:
    305ci V8
    Yeah, your right. Didnt mean to put 205 in there. The NP241 are the same ones they had in the 90s Chevys of the time, the 205 had already been dropped.
    Never worked on a Humvee personally, just going off what I've researched and learned from buddy of mine that was in same time as those. Always wanted to get one.

AuroraGirl likes this.
  6. AuroraGirl

AuroraGirl Full Access Member

First Name:
    Taylor
    Truck Year:
    1978, 1980
    Truck Model:
    K10, K25
    Engine Size:
    400(?), 350
    That was the point I was getting at. They don’t want to add steps into the process when they could burn more diesel and accomplish it more mechanical ways that are reliable

7. Bextreme04

First Name:
    Eric
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K25
    Engine Size:
    350-4bbl
    That being said... In almost 7 years and lots of HMMWV's, I never saw one that had a cable on it and/or worked. If they got one stuck, they would try to pull it out with another HMMWV and a tow rope. If they couldn't get it out that way, they would call the recovery team that had a wrecker or an M88. The wrecker has a ~25 ton(I think) hydraulic winch and the M88 has a 70 ton hydraulic winch(that you have to pull out with its own dedicated 3 ton winch) that uses 250ft of 1 5/8" cable.

AyWoSch Motors and AuroraGirl like this.