Auto-to-Manual Butcher Job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
You must be registered for see images attach

wow you've got a ton of clutch housings there ma'am. and even a 25 sierra grande badge casually sitting there haha. i see alot of the large housing springs, but any smaller undercarriage ones?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I have a CUCV, a 1984 M1009 Blazer.
Mine originally came from a base in California, but went to my local Nat. Guard base before being sold at auction.
Stands for Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle.
The M1009 was the Blazer, but it really wasn't a "K5" anymore, because they beefed up the springs and other components, so it's really a K10 blazer. The M1008 and M1028, are single rear wheel K30s (one with bed, one chassis model) also beefed up to 5 quarter ton status. The M1031 are dually K30s.
All came stock with the 378ci - 6.2 J-code Detroit Diesel, a TH400 transmission, and NP205 transfer case. No manuals.
They were made from I believe late 83 to 87 when they stopped production of squares. Chevy then started making the CUCV 2 from 88 to 98, which was based on the next gen chevy truck. Didnt have the blazer back until 92 when they came out. Had the same driveline as previous CUCVs until 95 when Chevy dropped the 6.2 and upgraded to the 6.5 duramax Turbo diesel.
Before 83, they used dodge W200/W300 called M880 and M890s, that had a mopar 318 and 727 auto.
In 88, they also started production of the first M998 HMMWV (aka Humvee), which had the same 6.2/TH400/NP205 driveline. In 95 they also got the upgrade, and got the 6.5 turbo diesel and Allison trans.
But bases everywhere would buy civilian vehicles as take home trucks and run around for army reserves and big wigs.
Your Jimmy was probably bought because of the need for the K5 size truck, and because the guys in the Motorpool were familiar with squarebodys and had plenty of parts trucks.
Just showing off my bit of trivia I know about CUCVs and other Military trucks, sorry.
Don't ask about military Willys, we'll be here all day, lol.

Good info... except for the part about HMMWV's having NP205's. Every one I ever bothered to look at the tag on had a NP241, although the very early ones might have had a 208. There was just no reason to have a NP205, as the only ones they put them in where vehicles that needed a PTO.. which a HMMWV has no room or reason to need.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Good info... except for the part about HMMWV's having NP205's. Every one I ever bothered to look at the tag on had a NP241, although the very early ones might have had a 208. There was just no reason to have a NP205, as the only ones they put them in where vehicles that needed a PTO.. which a HMMWV has no room or reason to need.
I think there weren PTO needs in purpose used trucks ljke pumps or winches maybe a driveshaft if equipment was towed

iimagine the military would rather have a pto powered winch on a truck than a electric because the engine and t case can spin for a long time and only use disel but the juice needed for a winch is gonna need the diesel to be running the engine and the batterys pulled low to operate which lowers life and next thing uou know you need more diesel for the truck towing the broken down one back to base which used diesel a battery and juice for the truck that could havenust used diesel

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I think there weren PTO needs in purpose used trucks ljke pumps or winches maybe a driveshaft if equipment was towed

iimagine the military would rather have a pto powered winch on a truck than a electric because the engine and t case can spin for a long time and only use disel but the juice needed for a winch is gonna need the diesel to be running the engine and the batterys pulled low to operate which lowers life and next thing uou know you need more diesel for the truck towing the broken down one back to base which used diesel a battery and juice for the truck that could havenust used diesel

Yeah, that's not how the military operates. They don't care about how much diesel they burn... the M1 can burn up to 6 GALLONS of diesel just to start up, and the HMMWV can have up to a dual 200 amp alternator setup on it.

That being said, hydraulic is far more reliable and resistant to the tons of abuse and lack of maintenance that military vehicles tend to see. There is a milemarker hydraulic winch kit for the M998 that was optional, but it ran on the hydroboost PS system. There really isn't any room in the center tunnel to run a PTO or hydraulic lines from the T-case.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8

Yeah, your right. Didnt mean to put 205 in there. The NP241 are the same ones they had in the 90s Chevys of the time, the 205 had already been dropped.
Never worked on a Humvee personally, just going off what I've researched and learned from buddy of mine that was in same time as those. Always wanted to get one.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yeah, that's not how the military operates. They don't care about how much diesel they burn... the M1 can burn up to 6 GALLONS of diesel just to start up, and the HMMWV can have up to a dual 200 amp alternator setup on it.

That being said, hydraulic is far more reliable and resistant to the tons of abuse and lack of maintenance that military vehicles tend to see. There is a milemarker hydraulic winch kit for the M998 that was optional, but it ran on the hydroboost PS system. There really isn't any room in the center tunnel to run a PTO or hydraulic lines from the T-case.
That was the point I was getting at. They don’t want to add steps into the process when they could burn more diesel and accomplish it more mechanical ways that are reliable

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
That was the point I was getting at. They don’t want to add steps into the process when they could burn more diesel and accomplish it more mechanical ways that are reliable

That being said... In almost 7 years and lots of HMMWV's, I never saw one that had a cable on it and/or worked. If they got one stuck, they would try to pull it out with another HMMWV and a tow rope. If they couldn't get it out that way, they would call the recovery team that had a wrecker or an M88. The wrecker has a ~25 ton(I think) hydraulic winch and the M88 has a 70 ton hydraulic winch(that you have to pull out with its own dedicated 3 ton winch) that uses 250ft of 1 5/8" cable.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Right now i'm missing the smaller springs that go from the clutch fork to frame. 2 i believe

I was at a my junkyard yesterday, and there was a 85 c30. All messed up, looked like it got rolled. Engine was junk but was in there, and it had a SM465.
I was like, "hey, I can get that guys little springs off this truck".
So I finished helping my friend pull an axle off another truck and get it loaded, I came back to where the truck was with my tool bag, and it was gone. I'm like "where'd that white chevy go?" One of the guys at the yard said "it's over there on the back of that truck". I look, its flat as a pancake with 2 more cars in top of it.
I'm like, "damn, I needed something off that truck

I was so close, sorry man.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I did not read all of this but I've done several auto to manual, and manual to auto swaps in my life. I would recommend rerouting the neutral safety switch to a clutch switch that way nobody accidentally cranks or starts it in gear. It happens maybe you won't but someone else could have an accident. Example someone else borrowed 1 of mine hit the starter in gear and ran into a parked motorcycle before they realized what was going on. I was pissed,passed, really looking back ,it was my fault.

Last edited:

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I did not read all of this but I've done several auto to manual, and manual to auto swaps in my life. I would recommend rerouting the neutral safety switch to a clutch switch that way nobody accidentally cranks or starts it in gear. It happens maybe you won't but someone else could have an accident. Example someone else borrowed 1 of mine hit the starter in gear and ran into a parked motorcycle before they realized what was going on. I was pissed,passed, really looking back ,it was my fault.
That's funny because I personally like to disable the neutral safety switch on all of my standards. I find it damn handy to be able to crank a non-running vehicle around a driveway/parking lot/intersection/onto a trailer/whatever the heck I need to do using the starter if need be. You can also use it to "pop start" a nearly dead vehicle at very slow speeds. Rare, but why would I short myself that option? If I'm so stupid I'm gonna crank the thing all the way into a parked car, well then damn dude I suck. If you roll the key forward and the engine makes a half a rotation and feel the entire vehicle jerk, anyone who's not a complete retard is gonna freeze and let go of that key instantly (or at least stomp the clutch/brake/both) before the vehicle has the chance to move more than a couple inches. And if the guy is really that ******* stupid, man I'm not in the business of protecting morons. I also don't hang out with morons so I wouldn't even have to worry about the extremely rare instance when I do loan a vehicle out lol.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Damn dude it was my teenage step daughter and if anyone had been in the way they'd have got messed up.She was sitting in the passenger seat and hit the starter to start the car for her mom who was walking around the back.So it's not just the moron you're protecting.Again she didn't know better and my fault for not making some kind of safety.

Last edited:

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
I was at a my junkyard yesterday, and there was a 85 c30. All messed up, looked like it got rolled. Engine was junk but was in there, and it had a SM465.
I was like, "hey, I can get that guys little springs off this truck".
So I finished helping my friend pull an axle off another truck and get it loaded, I came back to where the truck was with my tool bag, and it was gone. I'm like "where'd that white chevy go?" One of the guys at the yard said "it's over there on the back of that truck". I look, its flat as a pancake with 2 more cars in top of it.
I'm like, "damn, I needed something off that truck

I was so close, sorry man.

SON OF A B**CH DUDE! isn't that something though? thanks for having the thought my friend

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
That's just it, NO ONE will be driving this truck but me. no one has put such effort and money into that truck that i have. not to mention my 80, in two years ownership, my dad drove it twice and my brother twice. me hundreds haha

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
First thing I did when I got the battery hooked up in the right order on the squafe(my grandpa had the positive post next to the fender.. and the battery wasn’t very defined, and both cables were black so anyway, I went to go turn the key and it bucks, because the pedal was just stuck off the switch from rust and not being lubricated so the whiplash I got from being unprepared was fun

Should have seen the first time I drove it , didn’t stall it despite the truck running like piss and the first time I drove stick on a vehicle. And it wasn’t stiff and not lubed up. I did great. Till I hit the brake pedal lol. Guess it makes sense why it stalled. But it was funny.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I know this is 1 in a million. I actually was doing this Google search to try to bring up the vw rabbits back in the 80s that didnt have a clutch switch,owners would park them outside in the rain and where the radio Antanae wire came in was just above the fuse box.Theyd drip water cause a short and crank through people's garage doors. Was surprised how many vehicles have been reported with phantom cranking read some they're funny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey