Auto-to-Manual Butcher Job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
So the famed Jimmy has yet another debacle. So in the past someone thought it would be cool to switch from the automatic trans to a manual, guess it's not the worst idea. Anyway when i got it the clutch pedal was never doing anything and you could grab the thing and shake it! So i really looked at it today and noticed a few obvious things, and then some things i didn't know too much about, as the po ALSO didn't know obviously because it ain't there! So pictured below isn't my truck but it is the setup i have to provide a visual. My main problems are in cab, i know a big spring hooks the pedal to something somewhere and i'm not too sure as to where or where to get one. And the clutch springs down by the tranny, where would they hook to on a 4x4 frame? Thanks guys

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Like does anyone have a photo of a complete clutch pedal setup looking from the top of the dash in?. . .etc

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
AND while i'm at it, whats the best way to have ignition switch/neutral switch for this conversion, still has automatic column in and the po's rigging is a total abomination, preventing me from starting it to this day.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
AND while i'm at it, whats the best way to have ignition switch/neutral switch for this conversion, still has automatic column in and the po's rigging is a total abomination, preventing me from starting it to this day.

I'd say eliminate the neutral safety all together, and rewire the ignition switch. Just bypass it all.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
I have the dash in my blazer completely apart if you want me to take some pictures for you. (Its a factory manual)

I'd say eliminate the neutral safety all together, and rewire the ignition switch. Just bypass it all.

That would be awesome my friend. I'd obviously like to get it as close to factory as possible (it's missing alot) and also bypassing that would be a good idea. Thanks

And assuming your Blazer is 4wd, where do your clutch springs under the truck hook to? Pictures of that would be great also

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Thats inside.
So this is looking through the dash, about where the oil gauge would be, looking down. (Sorry everything is crusty and dirty)

And that's at floor level looking up at the firewall.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Yup, i'm missing that heavy spring and it's brackets along with the clutch rod boot. Don't think something like that is going to be easy to find without whole assembles. . . Thanks for the photos

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
And heres some pics outside.
I have the fender off right now, so heres a view looking at the floor from the outside, where the rod interacts with the frame rail.

And here are some pics from underneath. My headers are kinda in the way, but hope that helps.

The spring is much longer on one side, and seems to be connected the one of the bolts on the motor mount.
Everything from the bell housing back is original, but it had a big block swap years ago. I think the base of the motor mount where that is attached is original, but I cant be sure. Looks correct, because of the angle that it sits at is right.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Yup, i'm missing that heavy spring and it's brackets along with the clutch rod boot. Don't think something like that is going to be easy to find without whole assembles. . . Thanks for the photos

Yeah, that's gonna be hard.
I'd say junkyards are gonna be your best bet. And if they have a torch, you could maybe just have the guy cut out that whole section, so you could bring the whole thing home in one piece. Easier to swap over that way.
And maybe theres some sort of Auto to Manual swap kit for sale out there on the old interwebs.
You could always convert it to a hydraulic clutch too, then you could just custom rig the pedal, just to depress the cylinder.
My 86 is a factory hydraulic clutch if you want some pics of that too.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Heres a factory hydraulic set up on my 86

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Heres a factory hydraulic set up on my 86

Thanks for everything. and yeah looking at it i figured the motor mount would be the only logical place for it to go. i've also seen trucks with two springs, yours is factory with one?

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Thanks for everything. and yeah looking at it i figured the motor mount would be the only logical place for it to go. i've also seen trucks with two springs, yours is factory with one?

You're welcome, hope it helps you.
As far as I know, yes, its only ever had one. The previous owner may have changed that during the engine swap, but I highly dought that.
Good luck.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Isn't it that manual trans. trucks don't have a neutral safety switch on the column? I guess because you're either out of gear or not. With an auto it would be in some gear if it wasn't for the switch. Although I have started a manual truck and it lurched forward until I got my foot on the clutch peddle! It scared me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota