Anyone running wipers bigger than 16" oem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
camar, does it park properly?
Honestly I think they are a tad high in park. Just haven't taken to the time to take them off and make them lower. Thought I'd share a quick fix if your changing ur blades cuz of my issue lol.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
robyni idont use rubber blades, I only use silicone. except the cheap pair i threw on my aurora when I took mine with me to new car.
the issue I say is specificallyto older vheicles. because The windshield wasnt a curvy, long, and didnt lay so swept back. The arms werent made to push down over the strength of the wipers springs, then also hold it, while with enough pressure for a 2 inch more on both blades, then with a design that likely would have trouble on the swing back or moving a lot of water/snow than a small sprinkle etc.

Its definitely made worse by those things :) You mentioned. My arms are new on my truck but cheap dorman quality

The ones on f150 are old original.
You must be registered for see images attach

im not about to say that these arms would be junk

F4TZ17526A​

but im about to say that my original are eh... but i dont know who touched them. they were both off at some point, and they were bent. very clearly. I dont know why. Both twist and pull off
The new ones are a supersceded design over the one on my truck despite the year being ... before.. someone may have pulled the arms at a yard, that makes sense.

Anyway. new ones are likely OK or decent . And they fit a square. J hook built in. And the windshield is similar to placement
I can side by side a photo of the arm next to an OE it would take 5 min, but you would have it sitting closer to windshield than ford, so it would be pressure city i think. Adjustment could be made, and it also moves th blade away at bit more but then it was at rest lower than square, so you would be able to fit more blade? not sure

afterall ford sells this

That is very nice of Ford to sell you the lube for the f@cking your getting. Lol

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
robyni idont use rubber blades, I only use silicone. except the cheap pair i threw on my aurora when I took mine with me to new car.
the issue I say is specificallyto older vheicles. because The windshield wasnt a curvy, long, and didnt lay so swept back. The arms werent made to push down over the strength of the wipers springs, then also hold it, while with enough pressure for a 2 inch more on both blades, then with a design that likely would have trouble on the swing back or moving a lot of water/snow than a small sprinkle etc.

Its definitely made worse by those things :) You mentioned. My arms are new on my truck but cheap dorman quality

The ones on f150 are old original.

im not about to say that these arms would be junk

F4TZ17526A​

but im about to say that my original are eh... but i dont know who touched them. they were both off at some point, and they were bent. very clearly. I dont know why. Both twist and pull off
The new ones are a supersceded design over the one on my truck despite the year being ... before.. someone may have pulled the arms at a yard, that makes sense.

Anyway. new ones are likely OK or decent . And they fit a square. J hook built in. And the windshield is similar to placement
I can side by side a photo of the arm next to an OE it would take 5 min, but you would have it sitting closer to windshield than ford, so it would be pressure city i think. Adjustment could be made, and it also moves th blade away at bit more but then it was at rest lower than square, so you would be able to fit more blade? not sure

afterall ford sells this
Well I'll fully admit to having never tried silicone blades. Maybe that'll be the next step for me. Maybe the silicone beam blades are stiffer? that doesn't make sense except that the manufacture may make them stiffer. All I can say is at the shop we have installed 100's if not close to a thousand bosch CA beam blades across all makes and models new and old and I can not think of a single time that the blades won't lay flat, except on one rig where the standard blades didn't lay flat on one side due to bad spring in the arm. All I can say is from what I've seen.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Well I'll fully admit to having never tried silicone blades. Maybe that'll be the next step for me. Maybe the silicone beam blades are stiffer? that doesn't make sense except that the manufacture may make them stiffer. All I can say is at the shop we have installed 100's if not close to a thousand bosch CA beam blades across all makes and models new and old and I can not think of a single time that the blades won't lay flat, except on one rig where the standard blades didn't lay flat on one side due to bad spring in the arm. All I can say is from what I've seen.
they are advertised to crush ice. if i had one in visible open area id show you, the one 18 on the f150 would literally stand off the center BUT the arm is junk so its eh. I dont THINK silicone is different excpt for high usage you see more performance. 4 years in the one set, with this being a time for change. But that is from the wiper not sitting square on the car from bent

Catrik

Reaction score
First Name
Tommi
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
42580 dorman is not a "tip up" wiper per se. it has a small metal tab that you can lock them lifted away from the windshield(usually keeps them from freezing to it,allows you to clear glass without hitting them, doesnt promote an ice chunk as bad, etc.

your 86 will have the best wiper motor of the two of us, but you really dont want to push them they arent that strong. my 1990 olds 88 is able to be slowed by heavy rain with stock wipers, its a car even lol.There are a couple concerns with 18s. 1) your wiper motor is not made to move snow accumulation its made to wipe. newer cars spoil us./
18s will present the wipers a LOT of extra blade on the glass.... but do you see through a 1 inch larger both ways wipe area? a defroster on high will take care of the outside not wipe
You need to get a wiper of the best construction to be efficient and glide. You want a hybrid or aero because the shape of the cover usually allows wind + air rushing over the windshield to plant the blade and also skoot it along. But this means returns may be unasssisted but it wouldnt be super bad. You dont want the beam that have the strong curl, nope, not that. You want like the PIAA quiet/aero frame
ive also used the michellin silicone high end aero ones
they are OK. Thats all I can say. in 18 or 16 they will be better than 26 like my gma jeep

see the profile of the wiper?
The Dorman 42580 I got from Rockauto are a tip up and will stay about 90 degrees off the glass. The tab you are talking about is meant for ease of install/uninstall of the arm.

But they are a garbage replacement for 1986 K10.

They are too long, 17" wipers will hit the top seal and leaves a huge unwiped area below.
The stud where the arm mounts is wrong size. At a first glance it might look like it wipes good but tipping the arms up, they just freely rotate and fall off. I bet they would spin with even slight resistance from snow too. I would not recommended them at all.

The blade in all pictures is Trico Ice 17". They seem to fit very securely on the stock pin type arms.

Attachments

• photo_2021-10-13_13-59-12.jpg
    photo_2021-10-13_13-59-12.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 74
  • photo_2021-10-13_13-59-16.jpg
    photo_2021-10-13_13-59-16.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 65
  • photo_2021-10-13_13-59-19.jpg
    photo_2021-10-13_13-59-19.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 61

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The Dorman 42580 I got from Rockauto are a tip up and will stay about 90 degrees off the glass. The tab you are talking about is meant for ease of install/uninstall of the arm.

But they are a garbage replacement for 1986 K10.

They are too long, 17" wipers will hit the top seal and leaves a huge unwiped area below.
The stud where the arm mounts is wrong size. At a first glance it might look like it wipes good but tipping the arms up, they just freely rotate and fall off. I bet they would spin with even slight resistance from snow too. I would not recommended them at all.

The blade in all pictures is Trico Ice 17". They seem to fit very securely on the stock pin type arms.
Do you mean the splines are not large enough, or are yours worn on the stub/stud on the truck? If the distance difference is mininmal, NOT Medium strength(so low strength) or that sleeve retainer thread locker would maybe keep it snug? Or if someone didnt mind a little modification, possibly putting a Hard Pin or fastener through the center if they could shore up the slack.. but they would need a hard hardness so it doesnt fatigue break and also be certain there isnt room for it to rock and wear out the stud and careful to have a small clearance for this pin or fastener... etc... i wouldnt do it to a new wiper transmission and setup for sure. Sometimes those studs get rounded from loose or high torque on frozen stuck arms etc etc.. The reason I say all this is carefully reducing the size of those arms with a vice, one could almost shorten and roll a new J hook that is just a tad shorter to bring it closer to length, then if the arm quality from dorman is the issue and not the arm design, then find the OEM application and replicate work on a new or good used one of those. I presume a jeep of some kind, maybe?

also that tab I thought was for locking the arm off the glass and then also removal since it doesnt let the arm pop up off because it rides in the machined in part under the splines so it just doesnt pull off, it would retain it that way, doing double duty basically. I dont know why it would lock the arm upward position if it wasnt also meant for that i guess?Pushing on wouldnt be hard without it doing that, unless maybe when new the springs would fight pushing on???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshuOne