Anyone running a Martin Turbo kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That's a pretty neat setup. You will probably be the only kid on the block with that outfit. What carb are you going to run with it?

This is not the right msb to seek a lot of technical engine mechanics advice or help from in my experience.
Prolly best to keep looking.

Well, it's a truck forum after all, not an engine building forum. But there are some very knowledgeable engine builders here.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
No argument here Cubo. I prolly should have softened that up a bit.

I don't intend to give the wrong impression OP.

All I really mean is that I sometimes need to seek other sources for the information I need regarding engines. This forum is ****. :boobs:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Eventually I will do a blow through setup with a modern ball bearing turbo and intercooler but at least now I have that exhaust manifold that you can bolt a turbo to.
Ohhh NO !!! A blow through set up?!?!? :think: Around here a "blow through" is when @89Suburban used cheap toilet paper and had a finger blow through and he got a poopy finger.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah I pretty much have it figured out. I was just hoping someone in here had one and could maybe tell me the output of this setup.
Don't be afraid to post up what you do find out and how and what you do with it. You'll be the one to pop the Martin Turbo cherry here and then we will have it for the next person that finds a score like that.

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
That's a pretty neat setup. You will probably be the only kid on the block with that outfit. What carb are you going to run with it?

Well, it's a truck forum after all, not an engine building forum. But there are some very knowledgeable engine builders here.
I'll be using an Edelbrock at first but if it doesn't want to act right I'll go with a Holley I have. Just need to rebuild the Holley.

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
At $200 you still got a deal even if the turbo needs to be rebuilt. A friend of mine has $500 in the hot and cold pipes of his 6.0 ls turbo setup.
The price was the main reason I jumped on it. I actually offered him 100 but he wasn't having that. Lol

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
Don't be afraid to post up what you do find out and how and what you do with it. You'll be the one to pop the Martin Turbo cherry here and then we will have it for the next person that finds a score like that.
I certainly will post some more info during the install.

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
I can see the younger guys at the car meets I go to now. They will be scratching their head. Turbo with a carb is very very rare where I live let alone a draw through turbo. Everyone I have talked to is like you can't do that you have to have a purge valve and this and that and it will run lean under boost. They just don't understand the setup and won't listen when I tell them either. They gonna learn when a full size passes em!

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
it would seem to me with the limited exposure I have to draw through turbos and predator carbs this would be a good combination. If I am wrong someone please speak up.

AzGeo

Reaction score
Well now that you've all had your say, please allow me to throw in my 40 years (to the month) of dealing with this brand of kit, and many others like it .

First of all, is your engine internally in good condition ? If it's tired, or has "old stock valve springs", the turbo will just shorten it's miserable life .

Next, please show a photo of the "intake bypass" as I THINK you are referring to the little washers/start up bypass inside the carb base .

Please read off, or photo the "ID plate" on the turbo, so we can figure out what size and housings it has, and this will allow us to figure out how and when this this will make boost .

Also please carefully inspect the "exhaust housing", looking into the exhaust outlet . You are looking for a "drilled hole", anywhere in that area . This was often done instead of using a waste gate, to control max boost .

You can run a regular "big HEI", it will need weigh or spring changes, and an aftermarket adjustable vacuum advance will also help you dial in the spark timing .

I used a "650 spread bore Holley" on my 454 motor, and I don't think Holley makes a smaller one . Vacuum secondaries would be OK on a small block .

The primary power valve must be "indexed" to an outside vacuum hose, I'll show you how to do it, if you wish to proceed .

With a few "specs" about your engine, vehicle, gear ratios, turbo size, carb size, I can get you PDC (pretty damned close) to timing, and A/F ratios right here on this site .

You do not want to use a "square bore carb", nor a "metering rod carb", but only a spread bore Holley .

Water injection is your friend for towing with the turbo .

My deal (in the photo) ran 221,000 miles on the STOCK MOTOR, and then since the motor I built for it in 1990, the body and turbo have gone 497,000 miles .

I'm working on EFI and intercooler, with a turbo upgrade, when I have the time .

The "draw thru" systems do work, you just need to know how they work best on your motor .
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size

Vortec 454 intake?

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
That's pretty cool, I've never had a draw through other than my 81 Trans Am, which basically, just worked and I never had to mess with lol.

Welcome to the forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD