Anyone running a Martin Turbo kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
Well now that you've all had your say, please allow me to throw in my 40 years (to the month) of dealing with this brand of kit, and many others like it .

First of all, is your engine internally in good condition ? If it's tired, or has "old stock valve springs", the turbo will just shorten it's miserable life .

Next, please show a photo of the "intake bypass" as I THINK you are referring to the little washers/start up bypass inside the carb base .

Please read off, or photo the "ID plate" on the turbo, so we can figure out what size and housings it has, and this will allow us to figure out how and when this this will make boost .

Also please carefully inspect the "exhaust housing", looking into the exhaust outlet . You are looking for a "drilled hole", anywhere in that area . This was often done instead of using a waste gate, to control max boost .

You can run a regular "big HEI", it will need weigh or spring changes, and an aftermarket adjustable vacuum advance will also help you dial in the spark timing .

I used a "650 spread bore Holley" on my 454 motor, and I don't think Holley makes a smaller one . Vacuum secondaries would be OK on a small block .

The primary power valve must be "indexed" to an outside vacuum hose, I'll show you how to do it, if you wish to proceed .

With a few "specs" about your engine, vehicle, gear ratios, turbo size, carb size, I can get you PDC (pretty damned close) to timing, and A/F ratios right here on this site .

You do not want to use a "square bore carb", nor a "metering rod carb", but only a spread bore Holley .

Water injection is your friend for towing with the turbo .

My deal (in the photo) ran 221,000 miles on the STOCK MOTOR, and then since the motor I built for it in 1990, the body and turbo have gone 497,000 miles .

I'm working on EFI and intercooler, with a turbo upgrade, when I have the time .

The "draw thru" systems do work, you just need to know how they work best on your motor .
You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
The camera isn't wanting to pick it well but it says boost guard 9 on that round thing that will be under the carb.

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
The eng
Well now that you've all had your say, please allow me to throw in my 40 years (to the month) of dealing with this brand of kit, and many others like it .

First of all, is your engine internally in good condition ? If it's tired, or has "old stock valve springs", the turbo will just shorten it's miserable life .

Next, please show a photo of the "intake bypass" as I THINK you are referring to the little washers/start up bypass inside the carb base .

Please read off, or photo the "ID plate" on the turbo, so we can figure out what size and housings it has, and this will allow us to figure out how and when this this will make boost .

Also please carefully inspect the "exhaust housing", looking into the exhaust outlet . You are looking for a "drilled hole", anywhere in that area . This was often done instead of using a waste gate, to control max boost .

You can run a regular "big HEI", it will need weigh or spring changes, and an aftermarket adjustable vacuum advance will also help you dial in the spark timing .

I used a "650 spread bore Holley" on my 454 motor, and I don't think Holley makes a smaller one . Vacuum secondaries would be OK on a small block .

The primary power valve must be "indexed" to an outside vacuum hose, I'll show you how to do it, if you wish to proceed .

With a few "specs" about your engine, vehicle, gear ratios, turbo size, carb size, I can get you PDC (pretty damned close) to timing, and A/F ratios right here on this site .

You do not want to use a "square bore carb", nor a "metering rod carb", but only a spread bore Holley .

Water injection is your friend for towing with the turbo .

My deal (in the photo) ran 221,000 miles on the STOCK MOTOR, and then since the motor I built for it in 1990, the body and turbo have gone 497,000 miles .

I'm working on EFI and intercooler, with a turbo upgrade, when I have the time .

The "draw thru" systems do work, you just need to know how they work best on your motor .

The 305 im putting it on has new valve springs, 1:6 roller tip rockers and a larger cam. It was done by the previous owner so for all I know the cam is stock but I'm sure of the springs and rockers. As for the bottom end I'd call it ok with around 100,000 on it. The engine burns a little over a half quart of oil every 3000 and never smokes. I'm building a 350 for it so if the 305 doesn't last long it's not a big deal. I was gonna run with the 650 Edelbrock (Weber) which is has metering rods. I have a spread bore 650 Holley I'm rebuilding so I'll just use it. Did you see the vacuum advance that came in the kit. I figured it would retard timing when boost comes in somehow. It has 2 nipples on it. The truck has a 700r4 and 3.42 gears. I figured that boost guard thing under the carb was my waist gate.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sure glad to see the 350 is in the plans. I was going to say, what a shame to waste all this time and energy on a WeeOFive. But, it's a good idea since you have a 350 in the works. It'll be great to test and tune, get educated and feel out the system on the WeeOFive. When you get it all good and figured out, then turn that bitch up and blow that WeeOFive to bits and blow chunks out of it all over the place. Then put the 350 in it with all the things you learned playing with it on the WeeOFive.

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
Sure glad to see the 350 is in the plans. I was going to say, what a shame to waste all this time and energy on a WeeOFive. But, it's a good idea since you have a 350 in the works. It'll be great to test and tune, get educated and feel out the system on the WeeOFive. When you get it all good and figured out, then turn that bitch up and blow that WeeOFive to bits and blow chunks out of it all over the place. Then put the 350 in it with all the things you learned playing with it on the WeeOFive.
My exact plan!!! I figured at least this 30nothin is in good working order and it would be a shame to just throw it outback before exploding it. Lol

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
Plus with this kit it shouldn't be a terrible install. I'm thinking it will be on in a day and
That's pretty cool, I've never had a draw through other than my 81 Trans Am, which basically, just worked and I never had to mess with lol.

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the welcome. I'm new to forums all together and slowly seeing how it works. I was using Facebook for this kinda stuff but what a joke that is. Every group is just full of ignorance and know it alls that will throw you for a loop if you listen to them. Glad to be a part of this forum.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Plus with this kit it shouldn't be a terrible install. I'm thinking it will be on in a day and

Thanks for the welcome. I'm new to forums all together and slowly seeing how it works. I was using Facebook for this kinda stuff but what a joke that is. Every group is just full of ignorance and know it alls that will throw you for a loop if you listen to them. Glad to be a part of this forum.

I find it much more difficult to track technical discussions, like your turbo kit here, on social media. It get's buried beneath a bunch of nonsense in short order, then you forget all about it. I can reference this thread for years, or forever potentially.

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
Yeah well, we usually throw a little fun in with the seriousness around here. It isn't only me, they made me this way.
Im all for it! It's the serious dull squares that I dont care much for. See what I did with the word square? Lol see I can joke but not sure if it's funny.

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
I just had some kid on Facebook tell me to throw away everything but the exhaust manifold. I blame the parents.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I just had some kid on Facebook tell me to throw away everything but the exhaust manifold. I blame the parents.

He's the same kind of kid who doesn't think you can go fast without spending piles of money lol. I'm no0t in most Squarebody Facebook groups for that reason.

You seem to have reasonable expectations of it, it'll be cool, a neat conversation piece, and will make your truck faster, and definitely a standout. It won't make 1,000 hp with ease and get 25 mpg... It will be simple to tune and simple to run. I dig it.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
. Seen this that's sweet