Any such thing as a good Service Manual?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Speaking of a book one holds in their hand and turns actual paper pages.
Would appreciate any known info on one and maybe where one can be found.

Thanks

Shakey

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
My preference is a factory service manual and a Haynes manual. If a factory manual is unattainable I can get by with just Haynes and some internet searching.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
I hate Haynes manuals, they try to speak English, but they use funny words that nobody knows the meaning of .....
For me, factory shop manual is the ONLY way to go.
Plus, the factory manual covers things that no other manual will, and often (as is my case) it even has the wiring diagrams.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Ebay and swap meets.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Any manual is better than no manual. Some of the factory manuals are available in the reference library on this site. But prior to having access to factory manuals I had a Chilton which I found to be acceptable. I later picked up a Haynes manual. I found a lot of the procedural stuff to be lacking, but there was more reference information like torque specs and wiring diagrams. Between the two I felt like I had a fairly complete library.

Also, while I would be the last person to suggest that you don't need a manual, these trucks are from the end of the era when you could figure most things out by looking at them. It's not a matter of life or death to have a specific manual.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Also, while I would be the last person to suggest that you don't need a manual, these trucks are from the end of the era when you could figure most things out by looking at them. It's not a matter of life or death to have a specific manual.

Yes sir, I do agree that these trucks are pretty much common sense, something about them I truly enjoy! Have a rear end to go through (be my first) and there is an execelent write up here on that. Also looking at building some engines, machining and all ( may need more machines??) so looking for specific specs and tolerances.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Yes sir, I do agree that these trucks are pretty much common sense, something about them I truly enjoy! Have a rear end to go through (be my first) and there is an execelent write up here on that. Also looking at building some engines, machining and all ( may need more machines??) so looking for specific specs and tolerances.

The factory manual for the rears is excellent, as long as you're using factory tools and parts.

Personally I've always wondered if there wasn't a separate manual for machining that had much more specific information than bore sizes, like center spacing and reference points to use for deck alignment etc.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
The factory manual for the rears is excellent, as long as you're using factory tools and parts.

Personally I've always wondered if there wasn't a separate manual for machining that had much more specific information than bore sizes, like center spacing and reference points to use for deck alignment etc.

I certiantly do not know?? I would think a good manual would have them as well, because with out them how could one check to see if the engine is with in tolerance? Have a Haynes manual, and all the info on the interweb, but seems you just have to pick the one you believe? Read the Haynes, and then 4 different web sites and one has 5 different figures???

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
I certiantly do not know?? I would think a good manual would have them as well, because with out them how could one check to see if the engine is with in tolerance? Have a Haynes manual, and all the info on the interweb, but seems you just have to pick the one you believe? Read the Haynes, and then 4 different web sites and one has 5 different figures???

Just go with the philosophy "There's only one way it can go together and work right" and 90% of the time, it'll be good enough.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Speaking of a book one holds in their hand and turns actual paper pages.
Would appreciate any known info on one and maybe where one can be found.

Thanks

Shakey
I found a nice gently used factory service manual on eBay. $25

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Just go with the philosophy "There's only one way it can go together and work right" and 90% of the time, it'll be good enough.

normally that is correct. Though, when dealing with end plays and heat expansion etc... and building a hot rod engine that you want to last, good enough isn't always good enough.....

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size

Thanks and yes sir..... ebay on my box has changed to some sort of app format, or has changed all together, and is a struggle for me to navagate now. Guess, I better quit whining and get to learning how to navagate the damn thing!!

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size

Thanks and yes sir..... ebay on my box has changed to some sort of app format, or has changed all together, and is a struggle for me to navagate now. Guess, I better quit whining and get to learning how to navagate the damn thing!!

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
And when you get to be my age, and all those tidbits of automotive information once stored in the brane start to leak out and dissipate into the ozone, the good shop manual is priceless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68