Another Lift Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CivecamNC

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
I have looked through a bunch of posts and thought I had my lift height figured out but now I am not sure. The front top of axle to frame is 12 to 12.5 inches which I think means 4 inch. The back is 16 inches top of axle to frame which I thought meant 6 inches. Fender lip is 43 inches front and back. Truck is an 86 K1500 with 76 3/4 ton axles. Tires are 285/75/17. It just fits inside my 7 foot garage door by an inch or two. Top of bed at the rear wheel is just over 60 inches. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Welcome the the site Jeremy. Lift numbers refer to how much height gained over stock... and it's approximate. Overall height just under 7' I would guess is about 4" lift.
Toss us some pics...

CivecamNC

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Welcome the the site Jeremy. Lift numbers refer to how much height gained over stock... and it's approximate. Overall height just under 7' I would guess is about 4" lift.
Toss us some pics...

Thanks for the welcome. I assumed it was 4 inch but in a different thread it said factory for the rear is 10 inches. That is throwing me off. I did upload some pics to the original post.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Thanks for the welcome. I assumed it was 4 inch but in a different thread it said factory for the rear is 10 inches. That is throwing me off. I did upload some pics to the original post.
You're welcome Civer..
You can't really be too sure about rear height as there were many options over the years around weight capacity... like the Heavy Half or Big Ten models, they had hauling capacity over the stock trucks. It seems to me that more weight capacity usually gives a taller ride height. A block added on the rear springs is also a hint of lift, but there were factory trucks with blocks too.

Nice clean truck, I see some rust but it looks straight. What's your plan with this truck?

You'll have fun here, don't be afraid to ask questions but also get to know the search feature.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I'd say you have a 4" lift. I have some measurements when I put a 4" lift on mine and the rear was actually closer to 5". I had 42" to fender front and 42.5" to fender rear.

These measurements were with my old tires: 285/75R16's which would be about 1" shorter than your tires. And tires from brand to brand can be different.

Nice looking stance to your truck- welcome.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Here's some measurements from my K15 before I sold it. I installed a 4" lift on it and had the stock 1/2 ton 6 leaf rear springs with a 4" block. As you can see, I installed 3/4 axles. Due to the fact that tires can vary in size, I use this measurement. This way, only the body mount is the variable. The measurement from axle center line to the horizontal body line is 32" front and back.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Here's some measurements from my K15 before I sold it. I installed a 4" lift on it and had the stock 1/2 ton 6 leaf rear springs with a 4" block. As you can see, I installed 3/4 axles. Due to the fact that tires can vary in size, I use this measurement. This way, only the body mount is the variable. The measurement from axle center line to the horizontal body line is 32" front and back.

You take any excuse to post of pic of your lovely truck....
thanks, never gets old!

K201979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hippie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350ci
Welcome! Looks like an excuse to show my beauty too:Big Laugh: Id say you have 4". Thats what mine is except 315/70/17 rubber. Considering the differance in tires id say the stance is close. I can measure mine tomoro if u need me to. Just let me kno what you want measured. I like it, looks good!

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
You take any excuse to post of pic of your lovely truck....
thanks, never gets old!

Thanks for the complement. That truck just needed paint to be done, but then I found my K30 and it had to go. Hopefully this spring I'll actually have some progress on the paint and body on my K30 and I can start showing that off more.

CivecamNC

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Sorry I was not responding earlier. We are having snow and ice down here in Charlotte and everyone is freaking out. Being from Iowa I think it is ridiculous that a few inches of snow shuts everything down.

Thanks everyone for the help. The measurements everyone put up are pretty close to what I have so I am going with it is a 4 inch lift.

CivecamNC

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
You're welcome Civer..
You can't really be too sure about rear height as there were many options over the years around weight capacity... like the Heavy Half or Big Ten models, they had hauling capacity over the stock trucks. It seems to me that more weight capacity usually gives a taller ride height. A block added on the rear springs is also a hint of lift, but there were factory trucks with blocks too.

Nice clean truck, I see some rust but it looks straight. What's your plan with this truck?

You'll have fun here, don't be afraid to ask questions but also get to know the search feature.

It looks clean from 20 feet but up close it has quite a bit of rust. I use it for looking at potential building sites and ongoing construction projects for my job. Plan is to eventually fix it but for now just using it. I bought it about 4 years ago while we lived in Iowa. The person that had it did some very backwoods fixing on it so I had to go through most of it. Electrical splices behind the dash were made with house wiring and twist connectors. The rear brake line was cut behind a body support so I could not see it. The fuel return line was cut next to the motor mount so I could not see it either. Filled it with fuel and started driving, the fuel was spilling next to the exhaust, Not Good. I ended up putting in an ls and 4l60e from a 2002 truck. I redid all of the electrical and wired up the fuel injection and computer. I did some maintenance to the axles just to get by for a while. Disc brakes on the 14 bolt and new brake lines and new bearings. I am getting ready to put a/c on it now since it is hot as balls down here. I will also be putting in either a locker or limited slip in the rear. I do a lot of highway miles on the way to sites so I am leaning towards lsd but would really like the locker for the sites I go to.

CivecamNC

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size

I just measured it and I have 33 in the front and about 34 in the back. Nice looking truck too.

CivecamNC

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Welcome! Looks like an excuse to show my beauty too:Big Laugh: Id say you have 4". Thats what mine is except 315/70/17 rubber. Considering the differance in tires id say the stance is close. I can measure mine tomoro if u need me to. Just let me kno what you want measured. I like it, looks good!

Love the truck. Thanks for the offer but it looks like everyone is telling me it is a 4 inch lift. Just seemed taller for some reason. I can get some better pocs of it tomorrow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJinAZ