Amplified Subwoofer in one

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Ive heard of simalure ones being good, but i havnt heard much good about Boss stuff.

GunMan9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Which ones have you heard are good? If you dont mind me asking

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
I heard the one that lmc lists sounds decent

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
please do not get either. boss stuff is cheap cheap cheap. are you just looking for inexpensive bass?

GunMan9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Yes. I figured these would be a good route since they already have a built in amplifier.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
please do not get either. boss stuff is cheap cheap cheap. are you just looking for inexpensive bass?

I had a pair of Boss 6x9's once, paid $35 for them at some stereo show. I'll tell you what, they sounded freaking amazing! Not just "good considering the cost" but rather "just plain fantastic". However, it was about a decade ago and I've never had anything else from that company to see how it was.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Even if cheap, to get a 1400 Watt Amp, and a 10amp Sub all in one, for $150 you can't expect much, but might get surprised too. I like the idea being that we don't get much room in our standard cab trucks. I'd imagine it boils down to what type of system you want. At this price I'd only be expecting some middle of the road cheap deep base and then had 2 nice quality door speakers and have some nice sound. I woudln't be expecting to win a decibal contest or shatter glass. :shrug:

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
Even if cheap, to get a 1400 Watt Amp, and a 10amp Sub all in one, for $150 you can't expect much, but might get surprised too. I like the idea being that we don't get much room in our standard cab trucks. I'd imagine it boils down to what type of system you want. At this price I'd only be expecting some middle of the road cheap deep base and then had 2 nice quality door speakers and have some nice sound. I woudln't be expecting to win a decibal contest or shatter glass. :shrug:

id bet money that the included amp is NOT 1400 watts, even if they advertise it. boss is cheap and tricky. i bet their claim is 1400 peak. that is a meaningless claim. id bet money it can only put out a few hundred watts on a bench test. ive heard so many bad things and how cheap some of their stuff is. if all you are looking for is super cheap bass, you can do much better for about the same price. im not gonna argue about what sounds good or not cuz this is not an audio forum, but ill atleast say be wary of that sub.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
for 200$ you can get a really good sub setup. one that i'd be jealous of too. an alpine swr-8 ported with a cheap amp. youd have to make a box yourself but its worth it. and itd sound good. even if somehow that boss thing put out 1400 watts, the sub itself for sure wouldnt be able to handle it. i dont know of very many subs (and thats without an included amp too) for 150 that could handle 1400 watts rms. just my .02.

GunMan9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ya I understand and all good points. Well I'm probably the only 26 year old in the world that listens to country music only lol so I'm not looking at getting my truck vibrated off the road lol just want a little bass that's all. I did see a Pyle set up but not sure if it will fit behind the seat

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
DOn't get me started on 1400 watt claims being BS.. The real measure of just how many WATTS it can drive is, what size fuse doe is have, what gauge wire do they reccomend.

Volts * Amps = Watts. Think about whether a 30 amp fuse on a 12 volt system would be able to flow 1400 watts. (in case you don't wanna do the math, max output wattage is 360, not accounting for any resistance loss) Also, consider the gauge of wire you'd need to flow 1400watts @ 12 volts. The battery can usually flow 800 cranking amps to the starter, and look at the wire thickness there. That is about half the wattage flowing than the claim of this amp. It is as real as math, nothing hand wavy about it.

I can print you up a label that says 5,000 gigawatts, and it won't change the reality.

I think I posted a link a while ago sowing how many of these manufacturers put wieghts in their amps and relabel them claiming hundreds and even thousands of watts, when they aren't any different than their 30 Watt amps they sell.

A TRUE 100 Watt amp in the cab of a pick up could possibly make your ears bleed.

All that said, maybe this amp/speaker combo will sound just fine, especially in the cab of a pick up, but I bet one could get a bit nicer stuff for cheaper, if they don't worry about the 1400watts sticker.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
DOn't get me started on 1400 watt claims being BS.. The real measure of just how many WATTS it can drive is, what size fuse doe is have, what gauge wire do they reccomend.

Volts * Amps = Watts. Think about whether a 30 amp fuse on a 12 volt system would be able to flow 1400 watts. (in case you don't wanna do the math, max output wattage is 360, not accounting for any resistance loss) Also, consider the gauge of wire you'd need to flow 1400watts @ 12 volts. The battery can usually flow 800 cranking amps to the starter, and look at the wire thickness there. That is about half the wattage flowing than the claim of this amp. It is as real as math, nothing hand wavy about it.

I can print you up a label that says 5,000 gigawatts, and it won't change the reality.

I think I posted a link a while ago sowing how many of these manufacturers put wieghts in their amps and relabel them claiming hundreds and even thousands of watts, when they aren't any different than their 30 Watt amps they sell.

A TRUE 100 Watt amp in the cab of a pick up could possibly make your ears bleed.

All that said, maybe this amp/speaker combo will sound just fine, especially in the cab of a pick up, but I bet one could get a bit nicer stuff for cheaper, if they don't worry about the 1400watts sticker.

someone knows what theyre talking about. :bowroflwerd6: i thought about pulling out the fuse rating x voltage trick. glad you did so i could get some support here. a rule of thumb i have heard from my uncle (electrical engineer) is multiply fuse x voltage by .5 for class a, .75 for class a/b, and .95 for class d amplifiers. this should give you a ballpark estimate for how many watts the amp will put out at maximum. of course all of this assumes you are using the sub with least resistance that the amp calls for.

but honestly 100 watts would be enough. more than enough really. and since you listen to country anyway that makes me recomend the alpine swr-8 even more. itll play much cleaner than that boss will and will blend into the music better. you arent just looking for a noise maker that people these days seem to want.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Years ago when I cared about stereo systems I did have one of those tube shaped sub/amp bass boxes and it was good enough if that helps.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
My current setup is a 400watt powering the 4 main speakers, and 160 powering 2 8" Mid's and tweeters behind the seat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD