Always working alone...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbrodine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Collin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
Obviously I am a car/truck guy or I wouldn't be into the GMSB's and old cars. I do enjoy working on them, fixing them up and what not but I'm starting to get tired of working on them by myself with no one else to enjoy it with. My wife isn't into it at all and my two girls are into other things that require their attention, and they are only 10 & 11 yrs old. I guess I just wish I had other car buddies that enjoyed workin on these old things and could help. Sometimes I get overwhelmed with all the things to do on my projects and just wish others were around to help and enjoy it with me.
And it goes the other way also, I wish I had some friends that were working on old cars/trucks that needed some help. It would be cool helping them build their project and getting it done with them. Who else works on their stuff alone all the time? You ever wish you had a buddy/friend to work on it with you?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7

See that number next to where it says Age: - the higher that number gets, the lower will be the number of friends who are willing to help.

cbrodine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Collin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
:suicide:

See that number next to where it says Age: - the higher that number gets, the lower will be the number of friends who are willing to help.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
****, i should have an army of freinds then LOL.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I feel your pain. I don't have anybody to help or help me. Really sucks cause I could use some help every now and again.

datto62073

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Usually I have my son help but sometimes I feel alone. My wife sometimes keeps me company but not always. So I feel your pain man.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I actually prefer working on my truck by myself because my friends dont share the same level of attention to detail. Good example is a friend of mine who is also the mechanic that works on my bulldozer at work, I asked if he would help me stab my big block and when it came to bolting on the flexplate he lookd at me like I was crazy for looking up the torque specs on the flexplate bolts. Thats when I knew he could not be trusted un supervised...... He claims he tunes everything by ear and feel and knows how tight bolts are by feel. Well I have a snap on torque wrench and a chilton manual so **** that......

Working on my truck is not a group thing, its me time. Sanding paint is definitely a group thing, I will be calling every friend I know when that happens.

My wife and I work on stuff together, its mutual enjoyment. She likes learning about cars and I like watching her do it instead of me. She is pregnant now and without beers its not as fun so I have been flying solo working on the 454SS.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
If I need help I usually rely on my dad but these days he's usually best at holding the tools and sometimes he's good with good ideas for those odd to get to things or just pain the butt things that old guys have little tips and tricks for. However the new guy who's local to me may be on this list if we can get together :)

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I usually go at it alone. It is a opportunity for me to focus on something and "forget about" everything else I have going on like work, and even family. Like Irish said, it's me time! If I do need or want some help I call on my dad first and my father-in-law second. They are both extremely knowledgeable and always willing to help any way they can. There are a couple of guys at work that I know I could ask, but I really just use them to bounce ideas off of. And it gives us something to BS about when we should be working!

I am hoping my kids will join me in the garage when they are a little older. My oldest daughter is in love with truck and I think will actually take to working on cars. I plan to find out. Not sure about the middle daughter yet, and my son is too young to tell anything yet. However, if he continues to need daddy's attention and follow me around, it is a great bet he will be out there working with me! And I have drug my wife out to the garage to help with bleeding brakes and other minor chores I can't physically do myself. She pretends to be into it, but I don't believe her. Don't tell her I said that...

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Yeah I agree....the tinkering is me time. My dad is only there if a second hand is needed or if just taking an opportunity to spend time

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a couple friends that will help me, but they both moved out of town so that doesn't happen too often. The one has a wife and kids now so he rarely has time anymore. The other one is pretty much like Irishman said, he just isn't meticulous enough for me. He gets mad and breaks things too.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I do a lot of solo work, but I do have a buddy or two that will help when the need arises. I usually end up being mentor and coach more often than not. Most of my true automotive friends live far or have families that take up their time.

I don't mind a whole lot on flying solo as I usually get more work done that way. :crazy:

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I prefer to work with someone. My son is 15 and enjoys working on the truck and I have a friend that is very helpful when it comes to working on vehicles. I tend to get easily distracted and it helps to have someone around to help keep me on task. It also helps to bounce ideas and plans off someone as I am still trying to figure out what I am doing.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I do have a friend who has the same attention to details like cleaning parts and painting them before installing. I had no idea he had the same attitude because we just get all drunk and do stupid **** to cars.

Last big project was cutting this kids enormous smoke stack off his power stroke and giving it a hot rod look by aiming it out of the side before the passenger side tire. This was when I almost got my finger cut off with a grinder........

Next project we worked on I actually watched him wire brush an entire cross member before installing. Working on his stuff or other peoples stuff with him is a blast but his suggestion for fixing my recent transmission issue was "putting my foot to the floor and giving it an attitude adjustment". Its not like he would jump in there and deal with anything too technical but damn sure fun to drink beer with and work on stuff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
88SQDRW