I finally realized why I like working on my '81 C10 so much

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pinballlarry1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250 6 cylinder
Because its simplicity reminds me of my younger days of working on my first cars. I started with a '70 Landcruiser FJ40, '62 Ford Falcon sport futura, and later several Datsun 1963 320 pickup trucks. All were simple and easy to work on and I enjoy my '81 for the same reason. And it is larger than all the others. I do regret selling them all, hindsight is 20-20.

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I had a late model Silverado 2500 that I put almost 300k on the motor before selling it. I could go months before lifting the hood to put washer fluid in the tank.
I won't get that out of any squarebody gen 1 small block. But I also won't be dependent on scan tools, my ability to guess which non returnable electronic piece I need to make it go again or living with all the glitches one gets when owning something with thousands of gadgets, bells and whistles.
I keep driving to town using a couple beat up squarebodies that are on the list for restorations. I haven't driven my newer Chevy truck for about a month. There is a place for both.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I had a late model Silverado 2500 that I put almost 300k on the motor before selling it. I could go months before lifting the hood to put washer fluid in the tank.
I won't get that out of any squarebody gen 1 small block. But I also won't be dependent on scan tools, my ability to guess which non returnable electronic piece I need to make it go again or living with all the glitches one gets when owning something with thousands of gadgets, bells and whistles.
I keep driving to town using a couple beat up squarebodies that are on the list for restorations. I haven't driven my newer Chevy truck for about a month. There is a place for both.
100% true. I love my square, but I’ll say this. How many of you have taken a road trip in one? I drove mine about 7 hours round trip a few years ago to pick up my wheels that I have now. Had to take it because it was the only truck I had. They are not pleasant to ride in on the interstate for hours on end, just being honest. Newer trucks are much better in that respect. I will say though, it’s funny to see the looks on people’s faces when you blow past their luxury car in a rusted out 4x4 with a 350 screaming at 3500 rpm through a pair of flowmasters. They can’t process what just happened.

Last edited:

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
100% true. I love my square, but I’ll say this. How many of you have taken a road trip in one? I drove mine about 7 hours round trip a few years ago to pick up my wheels that I have now. Had to take it because it was the only truck I had. They are not pleasant to ride in on the interstate for hours on end, just being honest.
I must respectfully disagree.

My square was a daily for 30 years (and 200,000 miles), which included commuting to work, light hauling, part chasing, pulling trailers, and moving from Michigan to Arizona (with a car on the trailer).

It was, and is, one of the most comfortable vehicles I own. The steering, throttle, brake feel, shift effort, seating, ride, handling - are all right where I want them to be.

K

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
We had a black '75 regular cab that we pulled a 5th wheel travel trailer with.

Growing up, we would vacation in that rig: Mom, Dad, me and my sister, and the dog - in the cab of that truck. No air. From Michigan to Phoenix and back.

We'd get back and Dad's left arm would be all tanned, and my right arm would be all tanned. Nothing else, though.

K

WFarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
350 tbi
Ok - now that I'm not driving it every day I will admit the shifter is a bit sloppy - but all other comments still apply.

;)

K
I’m with you. My square is very comfortable even with my 6’4” frame. It’s smooth, has plenty of power and is a joy to drive for short or long distances. It doesn’t talk or ding or chime nor make its own decisions like locking doors or when to really turn the headlights off after I hit the switch.

All the instruments I need are right there in that awesome wrap-around instrument panel. When one gas tank is low I hit the switch and it changes tanks without the slightest hiccup.

Plus, and I may be biased, it’s gorgeous!

Attachments

• 87FC3B58-37E2-4B47-A011-5BFFE3A6BC39.jpeg
    87FC3B58-37E2-4B47-A011-5BFFE3A6BC39.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 37
  • FCE392A2-0411-431E-B967-8C2AE6CB025E.jpeg
    FCE392A2-0411-431E-B967-8C2AE6CB025E.jpeg
    405.2 KB · Views: 35
  • B1C6AFAF-AAC3-430D-AF16-B29D96368FBC.jpeg
    B1C6AFAF-AAC3-430D-AF16-B29D96368FBC.jpeg
    267.3 KB · Views: 35

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Our 75 K20 with a 9.5 foot camper on it went all over, numerous trips to the Oregon coast, couple to the LA area, one back to Champaign Illinois and the long one, to the East coast and into downtown New York City, up to Boston(WHY??) and then back. That last one was about 6500 miles! Great trips, but my family, My Bride, son Tony and daughter Katie were a helluva lot younger then and the truck was practically new. Wouldn't trade it for the world, but also wouldn't drive THAT far anymore without my heated seats!!!!! Also will NEVER give up my SQUARE!!!!!!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Our black '88 4x4 Suburban was our family hauler from '06 through '14-ish. We drove it everywhere and went on countless trips 1000+ plus miles away. It was dead nuts reliable other than maintenance stuff, just like a modern vehicle. And stuff rusting and corroding, but that's just Ohio for ya. Still to this day, everyone in the family wishes it was still our family hauler.

Derick C.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
454/700r4
Our 90 suburban was the family hauler/ road trip vehicle until last year. I'm happy to let the new truck take over those duties for now but I'm keeping the burb, besides, it has new role now.... exploring in the mountains.

Trucksareforwork

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
There's a lot of passion in this thread. Modern trucks ride and handle extremely well.

My '95 long bed handles and rides really well...for a 40 year old vehicle.

I took it on a 2.5 hr round trip last weekend and it cruises really smoothly on the interstate at 70. It will never be as quiet as a later model truck, however.

And, to the OP: I agree one of the joys of working on the truck is its simplicity. Shockingly logical and easy/forgiving to work on.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Well, the Silverado trims are much more comfortable I’m sure. But a strip down custom deluxe with no ac and no insulation or sound deadening makes for a loud, moist ride. And vinyl seats make you sweat no matter what season it is lol. That being said, I do like the simplicity of my square. Mainly, no sensors to trouble shoot. If it gets fuel, air and fire, it will run, and I like that aspect. But for daily drive ability especially in cold weather, I’ll take fuel injection any day.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well, the Silverado trims are much more comfortable I’m sure. But a strip down custom deluxe with no ac and no insulation or sound deadening makes for a loud, moist ride. And vinyl seats make you sweat no matter what season it is lol.

Hey hey hey... you HAD A/C, lol.

But yeah, the trim level makes a difference. Our '88 is a Silverado trim and had working front and rear A/C when it was our daily hauler. I drove my '78 everyday for 3 years and it wasn't nearly as comfortable. Rubber floor, no insulation, plastic door panels and Inop A/C. It has cloth seats though, but the bench is not as comfy as the 88's buckets. Really though, it was dead nuts reliable too. Other than that pesky $2 fuel filter and the cam sprocket incident in south Georgia a few years ago, which is why I didn't include it in my first post in this thread lol.

1980 Big Ten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Big 10
Engine Size
Plus, and I may be biased, it’s gorgeous!
Yep--it's gorgeous. Well done. Question: Does your air cleaner use a THERMAC or is it electronic? I ask because I'm thinking of going back to my factory unit and I've been wondering what others are doing. Don't mean to hijack the thread--just had one quick question.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag