Alternative Radio Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Years back I had a nissan maxima with a double din radio from kenwood in it. Absolutely loved it. Someone tried to steal the car (buggered up the wiring underdash pretty bad). Anyway, sold the car, kept the radio. I bought a 94 k2500 and this was supposed to be for it, but the motor and trans went out. So I bought the 86 K10 about a month ago.

The plan I came up with was to take the front display/control panel off the front. Then solder in wire about 6 ft long and walla.....display up front, radio in the back.

Soldering directly to the blades on the connector on the unit didnt work out too well. If you look at that connector, you can still see remnants of flux and solder. The radio would not function at all. So I thought I have nothing to lose, rip it out of that square box and solder on the bottom of the board.

Instead of "hardwiring it", I soldered on some parallel connectors to the faceplate and the unit. Easier to install that way.

Now I've got to come up with a way to blend it into the dash somewhere. I thought somewhere near the ashtray would be fine, but that might be a bit low. We'll see.

Thoughts/Ideas?

You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's be nice !!! But you damn have alot more patience than I'd have. Be sure to update with progress on this project. Looking forward to the finished result. :waytogo:

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That seems like a big ass face plate to "incorporate" into a square body dash. I would be tempted to move the climate controls up to make room for the face in the lower stock radio position. Or move the climate controls down and mount the radio up.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I had to ditch the idea. A few of the functions no longer work so it defeats the purpose. I had an idea of getting a portion of the dash cover and "melding" it in to the right of the temp controls. Vinyl repair stuff to blend the 2 together?

Oh well, I tried.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
The usb, bluetooth, and HD radio didn't work. The menus with searching through your usb stick was just too easy. I got spoiled using it, usb is a must now with any radio I put in.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ah
Well I'm sure you can figure it out
Farther along than id have been