Air cleaner assembly/CAI/open air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shawn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350; 700R4
AFAIK, I'm running a stock 350 TBI with a K&N air filter. The PO didn't have the stock air cleaner assembly but had an aftermarket Edelbrock cover on the air cleaner.

Here's my question: Should I try and find a stock air cleaner assembly and modify it to CAI out the front of the grill, or should I just run as is/open air?

I'm getting about 12MPG currently and have heard mixed opinions on CAI vs open air. Money is tight so it's a huge factor. Thoughts?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've actually hear that Cold Air Intake will increase hp to almost noticeable difference but harm mpg to a noticeable difference.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Also forgot to mention, several people I know, have actually lost mpg going to K&N. Mostly those with ECM controlled vehicles. Mostly those in OBD2 though. Then to have a chance for same or a tad better mpg with a K&N, have a chip tune done to take advantage of the K&N along with some exhaust work, then you'll do good, but without the exhaust and the tune, it hurts mpg more than helps. You might try to find an OEM air cleaner and try your mpg that way before you do anything else just to see for sure if the K&N is certainly offering any benefit to your TBI ECM system.

The NON ECM controlled vehciles, the K&N doesn't seem to harm mpg at all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04