Adding accessories to top post batteries

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
What’s the best way to do it? In the process of adding backup lights. With those, push bar lights and police scanner wiring, my side posts are getting busy. I want to move everything to the top posts and just have the truck run off the side posts. My first thought is to grab a set of battery cable ends and just bolt my accessory leads to those, but is there a cleaner, more reliable way?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
There are all kinds of bus bars/junction blocks available. Just run a single cable from the battery post to something similar to what’s pictured in a more remote/discrete location. Then run all the accessories of of it. They make all different styles. I’d recommend one with an integrated fuse block so you don’t need to run a bunch of inline fuse holders.
You must be registered for see images attach

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Thanks for the recommendation guys. I’ll look into those. Never really thought about anything other than straight to the battery.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
In the junkyard I pulled a power junction block off a squarebody (the one next to the brake booster), and another 4 or 5 post power junction off a newer GMT400 truck. I mounted the squarebody junction block on the passenger side fender near the battery and use it to power the relays (and fuse) for my headlight power harness. Still looking for how to use the other junction block.

The GMT400 junctions usually have several factory wires connected that have fusible links. There are factory markings on the plastic body of the fusible link, so its easy to figure out the wire size and look up the amp capacity.

Bruce

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I used this Blue Sea System model in my truck as I only needed 4 extra circuits. 100A total or 30A max/circuit.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I used this Blue Sea System model in my truck as I only needed 4 extra circuits. 100A total or 30A max/circuit.

I like that, looks nice and clean.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
There are all kinds of bus bars/junction blocks available. Just run a single cable from the battery post to something similar to what’s pictured in a more remote/discrete location. Then run all the accessories of of it. They make all different styles. I’d recommend one with an integrated fuse block so you don’t need to run a bunch of inline fuse holders.
I have this on my k5.
Ran a lead to provide power. The other 3 posts are for my LS swap power needs and accessories.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Several of my 78's factory auxiliary terminals were already in use, so I installed this Buss panel for future additions. I didn't want to overload the stock wiring. So far I only have a power port wired to it, but I may wire the original lighter socket to it as well. There will end up being a CB running off of it too, and some lights.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
You can find these under hood of many late 80s-mid 90s GM cars. Cadillacs and Buick usually have them somewhere near the battery. I think they have been discontinued from GM, it would be nice if you could find them new. After 20plus years under hood, the plastic is kinda brittle.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Several of my 78's factory auxiliary terminals were already in use, so I installed this Buss panel for future additions. I didn't want to overload the stock wiring. So far I only have a power port wired to it, but I may wire the original lighter socket to it as well. There will end up being a CB running off of it too, and some lights.

might need to keep the posts covered so they dont get grounded?

You can find these under hood of many late 80s-mid 90s GM cars. Cadillacs and Buick usually have them somewhere near the battery. I think they have been discontinued from GM, it would be nice if you could find them new. After 20plus years under hood, the plastic is kinda brittle.
Oh thats rare? I threw that POS away and installed a top post in my buick. Since it bolted right up.

to the OP, if you needed extra power lines a marine terminal made out of brass is nice. You could use that to run to a fuse block, so you have the ability to unhjook the whole lead

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
might need to keep the posts covered so they dont get grounded?

Those spade connectors are only live when they have a fuse installed. Generally if a fuse is installed, the spade connector will have a wire plugged onto it and will be protected.

The group of spades at the lower left are just ground terminals.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I plan to install a buss panel inside the cab to help clean things up. At the battery, I've got the truck running off the top terminals, and the LS engine running off the side. I've got the side terminals running to posts similar to the ones below on the firewall.

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128