Adding a Suburban Gas tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slooptin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vance
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
Ok, so here's a question I've been floating around in my head. I've got the dual 20 gallon saddle tanks on my truck and while I'm currently getting a whopping 10mpg (LS swap in the future to hopefully raise that a bit), I'd like to add some fuel capacity for the time being. I'm going to be pulling some front seats out of a wrecked 89 suburban soon to put in my truck and I've been throwing around the idea of pulling the suburban gas tank as well and using it in my truck as a sort-of transfer tank. In theory, I'll add an inline pump to transfer fuel from the burb tank to one of the 20 gallon tanks (I'll need to tap a new port into one of the 20g tanks/sending units to do this) and I'm assuming I'll have to ditch the EFI sending unit in the burb tank and use a carb sending unit since I'll only be concerned about the fuel level.

Anyone see anything in my logic that doesn't work or is missing?

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
What about a "T" in the vent line to fill from the aux. tank?

Slooptin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vance
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I'm assuming it'll have its own separate vent since its so far back

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok, so here's a question I've been floating around in my head. I've got the dual 20 gallon saddle tanks on my truck and while I'm currently getting a whopping 10mpg (LS swap in the future to hopefully raise that a bit), I'd like to add some fuel capacity for the time being. I'm going to be pulling some front seats out of a wrecked 89 suburban soon to put in my truck and I've been throwing around the idea of pulling the suburban gas tank as well and using it in my truck as a sort-of transfer tank. In theory, I'll add an inline pump to transfer fuel from the burb tank to one of the 20 gallon tanks (I'll need to tap a new port into one of the 20g tanks/sending units to do this) and I'm assuming I'll have to ditch the EFI sending unit in the burb tank and use a carb sending unit since I'll only be concerned about the fuel level.

Anyone see anything in my logic that doesn't work or is missing?
So back in the day when third tanks were added, what we'd do is added a second tank switch so for example on the main switch left would be left tank and right would be right tank, but we'd plumb the new new switch in so with the main switch on right, you'd hit the aux switch and get the back tank. That switch could also handle the gauge for that tank.

You gotta be really careful doing a transfer tank like you are describing. You have 20 gallon saddle tanks, you add a 20 gallon rear tank and you're rolling along and misjudge the level or get distracted and next thing you know your dumping gas on the ground and pumping it up the vent line and it's spilling out in the engine compartment. It's safer and easier just to plumb it in as a regular tank. I can get you a diagram and part #s for valve kits if you'd like.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I removed my saddle tanks and installed a 31 gallon blazer EFI tank in the back of mine. Like Rob said, you need to be really careful when adding a third tank and trying to transfer into the existing tanks. Adding another entire switching valve system is a good way to go. You can also plumb the system to use the existing electric in-tank pump to transfer to the other tanks. Personally I think it is better to just have the single tank with the electric pump in it for when you put the LS in.

Slooptin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vance
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
So back in the day when third tanks were added, what we'd do is added a second tank switch so for example on the main switch left would be left tank and right would be right tank, but we'd plumb the new new switch in so with the main switch on right, you'd hit the aux switch and get the back tank. That switch could also handle the gauge for that tank.

You gotta be really careful doing a transfer tank like you are describing. You have 20 gallon saddle tanks, you add a 20 gallon rear tank and you're rolling along and misjudge the level or get distracted and next thing you know your dumping gas on the ground and pumping it up the vent line and it's spilling out in the engine compartment. It's safer and easier just to plumb it in as a regular tank. I can get you a diagram and part #s for valve kits if you'd like.
ooohh part #'s would be great

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I've seen this done before. One guy I saw do it put the the filler neck for the suburban tank behind the driver side tail light and used magnets and a hidden hinge to disguise it as a regular tail light. I don't remember how he plumbed it though.

Since you are thinking of an engine swap anyway, have you ever considered a 6BT or 4BT Cummins? both are more expensive than a LS, but both would consume much less fuel.

Slooptin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vance
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
42-308P is a common one used and includes the valve, dash switch and pigtail connector. Go to this link https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0612/8493/files/pollak_instructions_2.pdf?1231 There is a wiring diagram for 2 and 3 tank setups and even how to make it trigger electric pumps. There is more info on that page than I could type out in a few minutes. Hopefully this helps you some.
Hell yeah, thanks

I've seen this done before. One guy I saw do it put the the filler neck for the suburban tank behind the driver side tail light and used magnets and a hidden hinge to disguise it as a regular tail light. I don't remember how he plumbed it though.

Since you are thinking of an engine swap anyway, have you ever considered a 6BT or 4BT Cummins? both are more expensive than a LS, but both would consume much less fuel.
Yes, but I'd like to keep an auto trans and for my needs, diesel would be cost prohibitive. I'm also not stuck on LS, I'd consider an 8.1 or possibly even a gen 6 454/4L80e if i came across one in decent condition for cheap. MPG isn't my main concern because I know I'm not going to get diesel fuel economy with a 6.0 or 8.1, I really just want better drivability, efi/more tunability, overdrive, reliability, and a boost in power, plus a slight increase in mpg. My current 454 burns oil and could use a rebuild and I'd rather upgrade than dump money into this engine. I've had a diesel before and I have friends with diesels as well, and to me, since I'm not towing heavy, it doesn't make sense. They're fun when they work, but they can break the bank when they break.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
My solution was not ideal, but works if you are careful. If you have the TBI sender and pump in the burb tank, you can pump into the filler neck vent on one of your saddle tanks by adding a T. It is possible in theory to aerate the fuel this way, but hasn’t happened in my experience—that I’m aware of, at least.

I went this route because I didn’t have a tank valve that was rated for 60 psi. In my case, my truck only came with one tank from the factory and a second saddle tank was installed at some point. So the driver’s tank is my primary tank with a 60 psi pump and the passenger tank has a 10psi tbi style pump. It’s just switched 12v, so nothing fancy. I never fill the main tank past 1/2 tank (as indicated by the gauge) off the secondary tank. That avoids most potential for over filling.

I’ll see if I can find the venting diagram I drew for myself. It’s set up so that I pour fuel on the ground if I’m bone headed enough to screw up. No vent lines go anywhere near the engine bay or hot exhaust.

Gguy1

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
292. 4.8

He must have been familiar with the 56 Chevy Bellaire that’s where that one was located

BMac Attack

Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I also wanted to do this to get additional range as I like to explore remote areas. Additionally, I’m setup to fuel dirt bikes or generator or help someone with some gas if needed. I learned a lot and also absolutely love having the additional range. I now have 65 gallons of capacity with the two saddle tanks and a 25 gallon aux tank in the spare tire location. My filler cap is in the bed with a flush mount boat filler cap and I have a transfer set up to transfer fuel from the aux tank to the filler neck of the passenger side tank with a cheap clickity-clack electric fuel pump mounted on the frame rail and a gauge and transfer switch on the dash. A one inch body lift made clearances quite easy. Check it out.

Attachments

• BDA6AF06-9DAF-453F-8D81-5D2ECCCFC084.jpeg
    BDA6AF06-9DAF-453F-8D81-5D2ECCCFC084.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 62
  • 63E22867-AE94-4981-B9AF-0A5EE8BF295F.jpeg
    63E22867-AE94-4981-B9AF-0A5EE8BF295F.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 6C889822-1FBC-4DE4-890D-5032AD8D2784.jpeg
    6C889822-1FBC-4DE4-890D-5032AD8D2784.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 63
  • AF1FE881-8165-4C04-A7CC-490B0965A4BD.jpeg
    AF1FE881-8165-4C04-A7CC-490B0965A4BD.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 69
  • E3E67FCF-CBCB-46D0-99BB-9F1DFF8DFB2A.jpeg
    E3E67FCF-CBCB-46D0-99BB-9F1DFF8DFB2A.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 55

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
My solution was not ideal, but works if you are careful. If you have the TBI sender and pump in the burb tank, you can pump into the filler neck vent on one of your saddle tanks by adding a T. It is possible in theory to aerate the fuel this way, but hasn’t happened in my experience—that I’m aware of, at least.

I went this route because I didn’t have a tank valve that was rated for 60 psi. In my case, my truck only came with one tank from the factory and a second saddle tank was installed at some point. So the driver’s tank is my primary tank with a 60 psi pump and the passenger tank has a 10psi tbi style pump. It’s just switched 12v, so nothing fancy. I never fill the main tank past 1/2 tank (as indicated by the gauge) off the secondary tank. That avoids most potential for over filling.

I’ll see if I can find the venting diagram I drew for myself. It’s set up so that I pour fuel on the ground if I’m bone headed enough to screw up. No vent lines go anywhere near the engine bay or hot exhaust.
What size tank were you able to add in the back? Would like to add a tank to mine when I get going on it. Keeping fillers on the same side, along with the additional capacity of a blazer/suburban tank, is of great importance to me.
Should add, I did read through your build thread over the past few days. Was a lot to take in. Don't remember if you mentioned it.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I have dual saddle tanks, so 20 gallons on each side. A burb/blazer tank was mentioned in my post in reference to someone mentioning using one. The setup would be almost identical. Routing the filler for a rear tank is always an interesting choice. My bed, only had one fuel door like all cucv beds. The PO routed a filler into the passenger side wheel well. It works.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave