1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rebuilding my truck

Discussion in '4wd Pick-Ups K/V 20 2500 K/V 30 3500' started by Frankenchevy, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Frankenchevy

Frankenchevy Full Access Member

First Name:
    Jeremy
    Truck Year:
    Square
    Truck Model:
    CUCV
    Engine Size:
    Small
    parts are starting to get here. i'm going to slowly attempt to make my truck look fresh again. clean thread, from scratch documenting the process. thanks to everyone who has given advice up to this point and thanks for the help that is yet to come.

the engine is new from GM via summit. if you look at the review score it's 4.5 stars. 33 reviews total, 2 bad. here are the bad ones:
    Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 4.52.57 PM.png
    should I pull the pan and check the torque on the mains and CRs? will this void the warranty? I thought gm would be building these with those crazy machines that torque all the bolts on a particular component down at the same time. I realize of the thousands, if not more, of these particular engines sold only 33 people decided to leave a review. I figure that if anyone had as bad an experience as the previously mentioned reviewers did, a good portion of them would have left a review. so maybe it's super uncommon to get a zero mile engine from GM that has poorly torqued parts? I'm leaning towards just building it up and leaving it be but I thought id ask so the more experienced engine guys could chime in with their opinions.

carved out a little space in my garage. my wife doesn't know it yet, but I might have to pick up a carport from Costco if my new garage takes any longer.

IMG-0269.JPG

2. bucket

bucket Super Moderator Staff Member

First Name:
    Andy
    Truck Year:
    '77, '78, '79, '84, '88
    Truck Model:
    K5 thru K30
    Engine Size:
    350-454
    I've installed a handful of new GM crate motors. Every last one of them was quiet and had the rod bolts torqued. Does that improve your odds?

TerryRH and Jrgunn5150 like this.
  3. Frankenchevy

First Name:
    Jeremy
    Truck Year:
    Square
    Truck Model:
    CUCV
    Engine Size:
    Small
    haven't hit the junk yard for a radiator fan yet. I wanted to check my dimensions against some of your guy's radiator/shroud. radiator is 41.5" wide overall and shroud inner diameter is 22". is that the size on everyones truck? is it a diesel radiator?

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for the tbird or other ford fans mentioned in the numerous e-fan threads, unless those are for a smaller shroud. I'd like the fan to fit into the shroud without any brackets and I don't want to have to measure every vehicle there if I don't have to. thanks.

@HotRodPC

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  4. Frankenchevy

First Name:
    Jeremy
    Truck Year:
    Square
    Truck Model:
    CUCV
    Engine Size:
    Small
    I'm holding off on unwrapping the motor I get everything. I'm sawing a lot of wood around here and don't dust in everything.

I'll be pulling the seats and carpet tomorrow. hopefully I don't find any surprises. I hit the floor everywhere with a hammer, sounds good I think. I'm going to try to put my existing carpet kit in my washing machine when my wife isn't looking. anyone tried this before?

anything you guys would recommend over por-13 for coating floor. that's what I used to use on vw/porshce pans back in the day. It seemed durable enough but dried kinda hard. seems like something more flexible would last longer.

5. Honky Kong jr

Honky Kong jr Super Sarcastic Man

First Name:
    J-me
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V10
    Engine Size:
    Lil BB 407
    I wouldn’t do that to the carpet, unless you really want to buy a new one. I used Tide ( not Pods) a scrub brush and a weak pressure washer to good results and mine is tan.

6. Frankenchevy

First Name:
    Jeremy
    Truck Year:
    Square
    Truck Model:
    CUCV
    Engine Size:
    Small
    okay, that sounds like a plan.

7. Honky Kong jr

Honky Kong jr Super Sarcastic Man

First Name:
    J-me
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V10
    Engine Size:
    Lil BB 407
    I also had it laying on my concrete patio. Not sure if it mattered but it gives you something solid to scrub on and won’t wick crud back up threw, While it sun dries.

Snoots and Dougnsalem like this.
  8. Frankenchevy

First Name:
    Jeremy
    Truck Year:
    Square
    Truck Model:
    CUCV
    Engine Size:
    Small
    anyone know, is this for egr?

wnd-8121_xl.jpg

9. Craig 85

Craig 85 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Craig
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K30 SRW
    Engine Size:
    454/TH-400/NP205
    That's a vacuum source. EGR looks like this. GM 12496820 - Low-rise Vortec intake w/EGR.

[​IMG]

Frankenchevy and Honky Kong jr like this.
  10. Frankenchevy

First Name:
    Jeremy
    Truck Year:
    Square
    Truck Model:
    CUCV
    Engine Size:
    Small

okay, thanks! so I could put a manifold vacuum sending unit in there to run a gauge in my truck?

11. Frankenchevy

First Name:
    Jeremy
    Truck Year:
    Square
    Truck Model:
    CUCV
    Engine Size:
    Small
    so I'm kind of evaluating everything today as to what needs to happen in the spring preservation-wise. I'm getting super excited. I've pulled back the carpets and it looks incredible. most of the old vw/porsche stuff I've done have been flintstone cars when I get them. wiping the frame down in the engine bay, it looks brand new. its just dirty from ranch duty.

I have a question about a part:

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0282.JPG

it goes here on the frame in the two holes where I wiped clean, I had to remove it to fit the long tube headers that I used to have. I kept it around in the garage. I think it is unique to cucv frames but I'm not sure:

IMG_0280.JPG

when it's bolted in, it pitches back about 20 degrees and must act as a bump stop for the d60 pumpkin. it would be at this angle installed:

IMG_0284.JPG

obviously it acts like a gusset as well, so it strengthens that part of the frame. i think it'll clear my new mid length stainless headers. anyone else have this part?

12. Frankenchevy

First Name:
    Jeremy
    Truck Year:
    Square
    Truck Model:
    CUCV
    Engine Size:
    Small
    something peculiar about the radiator too. gotta love the triple hose clamp job that the PO pulled off. I think it's a 6.2 radiator:

IMG_0285 2.jpg

it has bungs on both sides. the tranny is piped into the driver side but also has a secondary cooler in front of the radiator:

IMG_0287.JPG

IMG_0289.JPG

nice and straight, I know...

on the passenger side of the radiator it has two more large bungs with nothing in them, not even a plug:

IMG_0288.JPG

they are big. I can put my finger in them. is this an open provision for cooling something else? they have clean threads. maybe for cooling engine oil?

IMG_0285.JPG

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  13. bucket

bucket Super Moderator Staff Member

First Name:
    Andy
    Truck Year:
    '77, '78, '79, '84, '88
    Truck Model:
    K5 thru K30
    Engine Size:
    350-454
    That bump bracket is an odd one. I had read in the past it was used on trucks with the quad shock option. Your frame seems to disprove that.

14. Craig 85

Craig 85 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Craig
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K30 SRW
    Engine Size:
    454/TH-400/NP205
    My K30 doesn't have that bracket. With regards to the passenger side tank, it could be for engine oil cooling, but I've never had a 6.2. Here's what my big block radiator looks like. The second photo is the engine oil cooler set up. IMG_1338.JPG IMG_1337.JPG

15. Frankenchevy

First Name:
    Jeremy
    Truck Year:
    Square
    Truck Model:
    CUCV
    Engine Size:
    Small
    so you've left the passenger side bungs open too?