Added factory style body molding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tater dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
tater
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
Lining the tape up straight took a good chunk of the time to do this . Scary cutting the pieces but made sure I measured 26 times and cut once . You get only one chance with this stuff because once it’s on it ain’t coming off . Really pleased with how it turned out and think it really makes the truck pop .
Best advice I have is take your time and make sure it’s a really warm day .

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Agree; well done, you.

Warm day AND make sure the body side is clean (like with alcohol or some kind of adhesive prep) AND press really hard.

In the assembly plant the rollers would press hard enough to oil can the door, just to give you an idea.

I used a rolling pin from my wife's kitchen when I did mine.

K

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
It does look really good. That's a nice looking rig in general.

When I bought my truck it was suppose to be a farm work truck only. It was missing hub caps and some of the trim. After I started really getting into fixing her up and trying to make her look nice the missing bits were bothersome, so I picked up some used caps from someone on the forum and bought some trim that was similar. It's pretty close. Here's a good example, (I'm trying to show off the running boards not the trim when I took the picture so bear with me). Anyhow the trim on the fender is factory, the trim on the door is the aftermarket stuff that is close. I doubt the casual observer notices that the chrome on the factory stuff is wider.

I did not buy enough to do the entire truck, and at this point I'm glad I didn't because the new trim is starting to loose it's chrome. Lesson learned I should have at least bought a brand name like 3M, it still looks good but down the road I'll have to redo it. And yes it's hard to get it straight. I did ok, again I doubt the casual observer notices my mistakes.

Zelph

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 TBI
1- how did you cut the trim?
2 - how did you determine where to lay the tape down? Looks like you did it in one solid stripe? did you measure from the body line down?
thanks.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
The body line under the tail light look like the determining factor for height.

tater dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
tater
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
Agree; well done, you.

Warm day AND make sure the body side is clean (like with alcohol or some kind of adhesive prep) AND press really hard.

In the assembly plant the rollers would press hard enough to oil can the door, just to give you an idea.

I used a rolling pin from my wife's kitchen when I did mine.

K
Yes a clean surface is a must

tater dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
tater
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
2 - how did you determine where to lay the tape down? Looks like you did it in one solid stripe? did you measure from the body line down?
thanks.

Just a pair of cutters like these . Make sure you keep it in a straight line along the side of the blade , tried to show what I mean . One piece of tape along side of vehicle starting from just under the tail light and to top of fender marker light . This is the factory position for 81-87 burns . On 88-91 it’s lower going from the top of the front bumper. Yes I made several checks from the body line down to the tape .

tater dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
tater
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
The body line under the tail light look like the determining factor for height.
Yes correct just like I described to Zelph

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
thanks.
I know Tater already answered your questions, but I wanted to as well because I used a different technique.

#1. I cut mine with a sharp razor, and the door hinges ends with a band saw so I could cut a 45 degree angle so if for some reason the trim piece got close to each other they would not catch and come off.

#2. So my truck already had trim. I figured I could follow the old stain line until I wiped the area down with lacquer thinner, after doing that I had no reference stain left! The ends were easy since I had some trim remaining. IIRC I measured up from the bottom of the panel and made marks with a dry erase pen so I could get them straight.

As others have said it needs to be perfectly clean, anything that does not leave a residue can be used for cleaning, lacquer thinner is one of those things and dries quickly. And it needs to be pushed on hard. I did not use any tools to push my trim on I just used my hands and those rubber faced gardening gloves, so I could push hard and run my hand along it.

FYI the factory corners in the back, on each side of the tailgate were metal and bolted to the body. Only one of mine is that factory piece. It was a little tricky for me to do the one corner, because the body both curves and slopes.

tater dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
tater
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I know Tater already answered your questions, but I wanted to as well because I used a different technique.

#1. I cut mine with a sharp razor, and the door hinges ends with a band saw so I could cut a 45 degree angle so if for some reason the trim piece got close to each other they would not catch and come off.

#2. So my truck already had trim. I figured I could follow the old stain line until I wiped the area down with lacquer thinner, after doing that I had no reference stain left! The ends were easy since I had some trim remaining. IIRC I measured up from the bottom of the panel and made marks with a dry erase pen so I could get them straight.

As others have said it needs to be perfectly clean, anything that does not leave a residue can be used for cleaning, lacquer thinner is one of those things and dries quickly. And it needs to be pushed on hard. I did not use any tools to push my trim on I just used my hands and those rubber faced gardening gloves, so I could push hard and run my hand along it.

FYI the factory corners in the back, on each side of the tailgate were metal and bolted to the body. Only one of mine is that factory piece. It was a little tricky for me to do the one corner, because the body both curves and slopes.
nothing wrong with cutting with what ever you have but obviously do a small test piece first before you commit to cutting a piece to the exact size you need .

yes just used my hands to and a clean rag to slide my hand along the trim pressing hard

yes the corners are tricky as they are not completely flat . 88-91 square trim is even lower and have that corner piece that goes between the bumper and body . i decided to put mine higher like the 81-87 models (mines a 90) the molding is the correct year just not in the factory position but thats ok with me . you can see in the pic i cut the corner molding and taped it in a curved position over night . it went on just fine still curved . its very slightly off because of the sloping corner you mentioned . its not a show truck though and again im ok with that . molding had 3 lines of 3M tape on them and at least the top 2 pieces are stuck on the corners good .

Jeff Lewis

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Will rust out in short order.

TooFrank

Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Lining the tape up straight took a good chunk of the time to do this . Scary cutting the pieces but made sure I measured 26 times and cut once . You get only one chance with this stuff because once it’s on it ain’t coming off . Really pleased with how it turned out and think it really makes the truck pop .
Best advice I have is take your time and make sure it’s a really warm day .
I’ve cut this thing three times and it’s still too short!!‍

BadBowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
5.0L
That's correct. The 1989-91 SUVs had those molded, rear corners. These helped move the molding down lower. Below the fuel door even. The tailgates & barn doors only used that top chrome "piping" on their bottom edge....

jpinnc

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Where did you get the molding from?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads