a/c in a non a/c truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lostranger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
I’m gonna try it the hard way. I no longer use the 89 GMC 3500 van that we bought new. Many of the AC parts were new shortly before I parked it. I want to use other donor parts to convert my 87 R30 to serpentine, so AC at the same time seems an almost logical choice. Wish me luck.

Lostranger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
Is it WORTH the effort to put factory in? He told me I can have everything for free as long as I remove it, the only thing that isn’t there is the compressor. All Input is welcome.

Would be hard to stop me with that availability. Been driving my 87 R30 daily for two years without AC, and i’m Tired of the situation. I’m gonna try to adapt factory unit from an 89 van. That’s how desperate I am.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Would be hard to stop me with that availability. Been driving my 87 R30 daily for two years without AC, and i’m Tired of the situation. I’m gonna try to adapt factory unit from an 89 van. That’s how desperate I am.
Well I went over there today, and lo and behold, there is a late 70’s short bed with the entire ac system still intact, compressor, brackets and all. Kind of got me thinking about it again. I’m not sure what all vacuum hoses I would need though.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Well I went over there today, and lo and behold, there is a late 70’s short bed with the entire ac system still intact, compressor, brackets and all. Kind of got me thinking about it again. I’m not sure what all vacuum hoses I would need though.

If the system is still complete the vacuum hose harness should have everything you need. Only one hose goes through the firewall and into the engine compartment. These dwgs might be of some help:

You must be registered for see images attach

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Parts lists:

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Parts lists:

Those diagrams are a huge help, thank you for those. Unfortunately the truck that everything is on has had the engine removed, so I can’t immediately look at it and see first hand where the lines run.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Those diagrams are a huge help, thank you for those. Unfortunately the truck that everything is on has had the engine removed, so I can’t immediately look at it and see first hand where the lines run.

lcfman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I am in the process of installing a Vintage Air kit for my 77 C20. My problem is the v belt routing. I can not get a combination to align with the compressor/crank/power steering pump pulleys. Anybody mage this swap? If so let me know how you routed the belts. Do I need a 2 groove power steering pulley? My pump is a single groove.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128