A/C Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DMZ20

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have a 1987 V10 4x4 with factory air. My air blows cold when the engine is at higher RPM's, but at idle blows warm. What could be the issue?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Do you have a tach? The compressors usually don't circular the Freon enough at low rpms.

DMZ20

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
No, my truck doesn't have a tach. If that is the way it is supposed to work I am fine with it. Just didn't know if the compressor wasn't kicking on for some reason at low RPM's.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
You might want to put a e-fan on the condenser, it usually helps.

DMZ20

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Good deal, Thanks!

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yea that's how it usually works. Does your trucks idle sound real low?

DMZ20

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yes, it lopes while idling.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yup that's lil too low for the AC to function properly

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
with 134a you need a fan on the condenser when you are not moving. 134a is not as efficient and it really shows up when there is no air flow over the condenser. highdesertranger

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
If you add an electric fan at that rpm make sure you get at least a 130 amp alternator with an over driven pulley to charge at that rpm

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
just a random thought....might try a idle kick up solenoid..that usually came on Factory A/C Square Bodies....but yours is an 87 so idk if you could it being TBI

DMZ20

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Does anyone have a picture of where you are mounting the fan to blow on the condenser so I can try to do the same? Thanks for all the help!!!!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You just would use a small pusher fan. But in my opinion, an add-on fan is sort of a bandaid fix. It's true that there is probably a lack of air flow through the condenser at idle, but it's most likely because of a restricted condenser and/or a weak fan clutch. I would definitely replace the fan clutch first, as well as making sure the truck idles fast enough.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
The suggestions that you have already received are very good assumptions and more then likely spot on. But the FIRST thing you should consider doing is hooking up to a set of gauges and check to see what your pressures are reading.

Next you need to actually check the airflow thru the condenser, The easiest way to do this is with an inferred thermometer. Measure the temperature at the inlet fitting of the condenser and then measure the outlet fitting of the condenser. The ideal readings should be between 20-40* differences.

If your readings are higher then 40* then that means your condenser itself has a blockage allowing the refrigerant to stay in the condenser to long. To fix that I highly recommend replacing the condenser, orphus tube as well as flushing the rest of the system.
If your readings are less then 20* difference then that means your airflow is insuffient thru the condenser and not allowing the refrigerant to cool enough. Now the cause of this could be either the idle is too low, or the fan clutch is not working correctly. The easiest way to check is to have some one raise your idle speed to around 1000 rpm's and re test. If your readings are still to low then I would recommend changing or at least adding an auxiliary electric fan.

The condenser in these trucks are designed for R-12 systems, and are honeslty to small for r-134a if you could find an aftermarket condenser that is bigger then you would be able to cool more efficiently.

First lesson in A/C work is temperature=pressure.

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
My air blows cold when the engine is at higher RPM's, but at idle blows warm. What could be the issue?

It is usually not so much a refrigeration cycle issue as it is a control problem - specifically loss of proper pressure (vacuum) within the interconnecting tubing.

While it is true that a marginally functioning system can pull the cabin down quicker at higher engine speeds, a system in good shape doesn't need that.

All the dampers, doors and louvers in these systems are dependent on a good source of vacuum to move (and keep them) to the desired position. In the case of warm air issuing from the vents at low engine RPM, the blend door is most likely drifting away from the heater core opening.

As the vacuum generated by the intake manifold falls off, the diaphragm that positions the blend door is no longer able to maintain a tight seal at the heater core outlet. This allows very hot air to enter the stream of cold air that is flowing from the evaporator.

In addition, the force/pressure of the hot air trapped in the hot side of the plenum works on the blend door and tries to "fling" it open.

The climate control panel valves stay steady. So consequently, when the engine speed increases and vacuum returns to normal - the various dampers move back to their proper position.

Long story short, before doing any major repairs to the refrigeration portion of your climate control, it is a good idea to thoroughly inspect all your vacuum hoses.

Pay particular attention to the runs on the engine side of the firewall. They take a beating from heat, oil, grease, vibration etc. and after 23 years don't hold a vacuum as well as they did when new.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmritz