'99 Silverado Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've got a chance to get a '99 Chevy Z71 from a friend for a great price. I wouldn't be getting it to keep it, it's not a bad truck at all, I'd just rather make some quick cash to finance my projects. Being I'm not used to dealing with newer stuff, I have no idea what I could easily get back out of it.

It's an extended cab shortbed 4x4 Z71, third door, black with the lighter gray interior. Cloth seats, split bench, slider window, alloy wheels... well optioned but not loaded. Has some dings, scratches, and the usual rusted rocker panels. Runs and drives well, tires getting low on tread. It has a very recently rebuilt trans with a receipt to prove it, from a very reputable local shop. Engine looks like it has been replaced with another used engine, we don't know if it's a 4.8 or a 5.3 but we just assume it's a 4.8 to be safe. It does have some sort of engine noise, and has as long as he's had it. The noise has never got any worse. We're guessing something along the lines of a wrist pin or a broken ring.

Besides the engine noise, KBB says the truck it worth about 5K. That's way too high isn't it? I was thinking much lower, but again, I really don't have a clue.

If I buy the truck, an extra 5.3 long block is included. It has 90K on it, but the original cam had a few pitted lobes. So, it has all new GM gaskets, GM timing set, new GM cam, AC Delco plugs, and a new set of roller lifters (Sealed Power IIRC). The heads are stock and still need bolted on, with the new Felpro head bolt set.

What could I expect to get out of the motor if I sell it? I'm thinking it's not worth what my buddy has in it and I should probably keep it in case I decide to actually put a modern engine in something.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
If its a Z71 then it should be a 5.3. All the trucks ive come across at work that had 4.8's in them were base models.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Is it the body style like Daves?

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I do`nt know what that noise in the engine is but it seems that a lot of those pickups in that 2000 year range had a noise as the one You are describing and the dealers say they do`nt know what it is but they do`nt seem to get any worse and they run great.
I`m not saying that this engine is that same kind of noise but if it is I would`nt worry about it.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Is it the noise that goes away after it warms up a bit? My brothers truck does that. I think I may have been somebody here said that its the piston skirt slapping the cyl wall when cold. Sounds like a rod is hammering the crank when he first starts it.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If its a Z71 then it should be a 5.3. All the trucks ive come across at work that had 4.8's in them were base models.

The sticker on the air box says it's a 4.8 originally... I just realized we've never thought to look at the 8th vin digit. Still not a sure thing though, it looks like it's been swapped (marked hood, labeled connectors, AC was never hooked back up, etc.) so it's hard to say what's in it. I think a 4.8 is a good motor anyway.

Is it the body style like Daves?

Nope, it's the first year for the newer style.

Is it the noise that goes away after it warms up a bit? My brothers truck does that. I think I may have been somebody here said that its the piston skirt slapping the cyl wall when cold. Sounds like a rod is hammering the crank when he first starts it.

It's not the normal piston slap, it does it when warm too. It's only noticeable at lower RPM. It's less than a knock, but more than a tap. The noise really doesn't bother me and I'd drive it cross country... but it will probably scare potential buyers.

It'll be the GMT800. Dave's is a GMT400

Yep. If it were that body style I wouldn't even be buying it. Around here they are becoming the beater work trucks that have little value.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well, I bought it today. So any ideas on what I should ask for it? I know pics would really help, but it looks like every other black Z71 on the road.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Geeze Louise Bucket how do you do it? Six ankle biters and a wife and a fleet of squares and you still buy another project. I'm moving into the pole barn. I'll be there in 2 days lol.

Hey you remember someone posted here about one of those motors loosing a lifter or cam lobe or something like that? :think:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I'd have to see pics to say for sure but I'd say 4-5k you could sell it for

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Geeze Louise Bucket how do you do it? Six ankle biters and a wife and a fleet of squares and you still buy another project. I'm moving into the pole barn. I'll be there in 2 days lol.

Hey you remember someone posted here about one of those motors loosing a lifter or cam lobe or something like that? :think:

Haha, those kids get us a pretty good tax return every year. It also helps that my wife loves Chevy trucks... and I'm going in the morning to scope out a '90 K20 Burb:emotions33: The only reason I'm doing it is because neither of these trucks will be projects, the '99 is strictly to resell and the '90 would just be a beater back-up Burb. We have the '86 as the current back-up, but it's just too nice to let sit outside and not get used and I don't want to ruin it by converting it to 4x4. We're currently working out the details trading off the '86.

And yep, I remember that post. I think the 5.3 I'm getting was in the beginning stages of doing the very same thing, but it was caught early enough. The noise the truck's engine has I don't think sounds like a lifter.

I'd have to see pics to say for sure but I'd say 4-5k you could sell it for

I won't have the truck for a couple more weeks (he's still driving it), but if I remember, I'll get some pics on Monday.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Got a couple crappy cell phone pics...

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

And for some reason whenever I post pics from my phone, they are downsized. Frustrating.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Cool. :)