2004 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 rattle noise from behind dash on driver's side.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
On my '04 Silverado 2500 I keep hearing a rattle noise at random intervals. The steering shaft and column bushing is new and still tight. I also changed out the brake pedal pivot bushing, since I thought that it could be causing the noise, but that did not stop the noise either. I cannot not find anything loose behind the dash. Does anyone have an idea of what this noise could be? Thanks.

MarineOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Do you have bose stereo?
I've had the tweeter in a piller fall down before.

Also the fuse blocks sometimes come loose

Make sure e brake pedal is all the way up

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
I presently have the dash top pad removed from my 2004 2500 HD Duramax, if you want me to look for anything specific or take some pictures.

(Mine doesn't rattle - but the HVAC is wonky).

K

RaisedK5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Leland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
I have a 2005 2500. And occasionally have that jiggle, clunky sound. Never been able to find what does it. All the research I did on the interwebs pointed me at nothing. Some guys spent weeks insulating things, tightening things, padding things. All for not. I guess it's like the rear exhaust manifold bolts on these trucks snapping all the time. Just something you have to live with.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Do you have bose stereo?
I've had the tweeter in a piller fall down before.

Also the fuse blocks sometimes come loose

Make sure e brake pedal is all the way up
Mine has the standard speaker setup with the non-speaker pillars. The fuse panel seems secured. The parking brake linkage could be a possible suspect.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I presently have the dash top pad removed from my 2004 2500 HD Duramax, if you want me to look for anything specific or take some pictures.

(Mine doesn't rattle - but the HVAC is wonky).

K
I'm not entirely sure what I am looking for, but if you see anything that looks like a potential rattle point, maybe I can look for it on mine. Seeing that your HVAC is acting up scares me, because I just got mine to start acting right.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
I'm not entirely sure what I am looking for, but if you see anything that looks like a potential rattle point, maybe I can look for it on mine. Seeing that your HVAC is acting up scares me, because I just got mine to start acting right.
Are you ok to discuss here what yours was doing and what you did to fix it?

K

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I guess it's like the rear exhaust manifold bolts on these trucks snapping all the time. Just something you have to live with.
I had some snapped on my 2011 Suburban 5.3L when I needed to get the exhaust manifold off to replace it after the studs got destroyed on the outlet. I replaced them with ICT Billet bolts and torqued them to spec and haven't had a single issue with them since. Got them on amazon for the same price listed on the ICT billet website. That was in August 2020 and I have almost 60k miles on them since then with no breakages.
https://www.ictbillet.com/usa-bolt-...fold-header-flange-bolts-ls1-lt1-ls3-lq4.html

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Are you ok to discuss here what yours was doing and what you did to fix it?

K
Mine would randomly stop working entirely at random times. It seemed to kid more reliable after I changed the blend door actuator, though that was not done in response to the random shutoff problem. I honestly have no idea if there is any correlation, since the blend door worked fine during the time the random shutoffs were more frequent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod