Rattle noise from A/C compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vettenut

Reaction score
First Name
Blaine
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
Thanks to a post in a sister forum, I think I found the source of the noise from my A/C compressor.

I had recently replaced the compressor, accumulator, orifice tube and hose manifold on my '84 Silverado due to a severe rattling noise from the compressor area. I had also thoroughly flushed the remaining hard line, evaporator and condenser finding no signs of "black death" or any type of debris in the liquid that was flushed from system. Triumphantly, I took the vehicle to the local repair shop to have them vacuum the system down, and install the R134A they had evacuated from the system prior to my DIY repair. When the system was checked and filled, I had ice cold air with no noise!!!

To my dismay, the rattling noises I experienced prior to the repairs was back within a week. System was still blowing ice cold, and the noise was only apparent at idle, if RPM's were increased, even slightly, the noise went away.

I started searching this forum, Youtube, Google, and everywhere I could think. Then I found it, a post on the Corvette forum describing the exact issue, and explaining what they had found. Simply loose and missing hardware from the compressor, allowing the compressor to become loose after a short time, resulting in the rattle. When I examined my system, I found a missing washer from the one mounting point and actually a missing nut from one mounting bracket, (see photos below).

I then realized that the initial noise to the first compressor only started after a mobile "technician" had removed the compressor to gain access to the valve cover on the drivers side to replace the gasket. I had been very careful when I replaced the compressor to make sure everything went back the way it was found, not knowing that the previous "technician" had failed to do the same.

With a quick trip to Ace hardware, I got the missing parts, returned home and installed them, then nervously hit the key, and, shazam!! no more noise.

The fact that I had just spent several hundred dollars in parts, plus my time to replace components that were probably not needed was bad enough, but what really frosted me was that I had taken the vehicle to 2 different shops to have the noise diagnosed, and they both said it needed a compressor, and of course all the other parts of the system because they were obviously contaminated, repairs would total well over $1,000.00!!

My points on this post are two fold, 1st, the obvious fix is not always the correct fix, and 2nd, as most of us already know, there are a bunch of "technicians" out there that while maybe not being criminal in intent, don't do the proper diagnosis before starting to run up the bill by throwing parts at a problem.

Attachments

• 1984 a c mounting.jpg
    1984 a c mounting.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 1984 a c mounting 2.jpg
    1984 a c mounting 2.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 66

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Hmmm...I need to take a look at mine, I am using a truck compressor with a car bracket though. I've got a rattle something fierce, figured it was the clutch but it might just be that.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
The funny part of this is, Corvettes have passenger's side compressor mounting! I knew about the hardware issue with R4s with driver's side mounts. The spacers/washers look a bit cobbled up, so I can see how it happened. Never thought about it with the Corvette mount.

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
Intermittent problems are the worst. Were you able to duplicate the noise in the technicians presence. The person installing the new compressor should have at least noticed the missing hardware. Sadly most technicians these days are just parts changers, sorry.

Vettenut

Reaction score
First Name
Blaine
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
I was the person that installed the new compressor, and was very meticulous about putting everything back where it was, had no idea there was a missing washer. I'm afraid you are correct, about technicians being parts changers, especially on an older model vehicle. If they can't plug in the computer to tell them what's wrong, they don't have a clue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk