92 Camaro RS 3.1L Gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Gotta take it all apart. Another student adjusted the rock arm nuts and the teacher checked his work. He went by what all data said to do it. It has loud lifter noise.

Data in books are guide lines that are established when everything is new. That's why you have to think for yourself.
When adjusting valves after a teardown, I usually turn the engine by hand to get an initial adjustment so it will run, then I warm it up, and pop the valve covers back off and do the fine adjustment while it is running, and the lifters are guaranteed to be pumped up. The other way I do it if the engine is on the stand, is to use the oil pump primer on the drill to insure that the lifters stay pumped.

Last edited:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
These cant be adjusted when running. You have to take the pendulm apart to remove the valve covers.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
These cant be adjusted when running. You have to take the PLENUM apart to remove the valve covers.

Then the oiling system can be pressurized for a more acurrate adjustment. If not, I usually go a 1/4 to 1/2 turn beyond the point to where you can spin the pushrod with your fingers. maybe they were trying to adjust it with a stuck lifter.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Data in books are guide lines that are established when everything is new. That's why you have to think for yourself.
When adjusting valves after a teardown, I usually turn the engine by hand to get an initial adjustment so it will run, then I warm it up, and pop the valve covers back off and do the fine adjustment while it is running, and the lifters are guaranteed to be pumped up. The other way I do it if the engine is on the stand, is to use the oil pump primer on the drill to insure that the lifters stay pumped.

Then the oiling system can be pressurized for a more acurrate adjustment. If not, I usually go a 1/4 to 1/2 turn beyond the point to where you can spin the pushrod with your fingers. maybe they were trying to adjust it with a stuck lifter.

I never bother with adjusting when running or priming the motor. 1/2 turn past zero lash always does it for me. I had one Celebrity that had an intermittent noisy lifter on the rear bank (original and untouched motor), I just tore it down and turned them all in 1/2 turn from where they were. That sticky lifter never made noise again and the motor ran great, lol. My question for Dave is, why was anyone messing with the valve adjustment if the problem was a fuel leak?

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
I never bother with adjusting when running or priming the motor. 1/2 turn past zero lash always does it for me. I had one Celebrity that had an intermittent noisy lifter on the rear bank (original and untouched motor), I just tore it down and turned them all in 1/2 turn from where they were. That sticky lifter never made noise again and the motor ran great, lol. My question for Dave is, why was anyone messing with the valve adjustment if the problem was a fuel leak?

The last part is what im trying to figure out myself. Fuel leak as nothing to do with valve adjustment. If theres no noise why mess with them.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
From the bringing of this repair we had to replace valve cover gaskets and intake gasket. The female chick decided she wanted to take all pushrods out and clean them. Its her car anyways.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
um sounds like a dumb idea but like everybody has said its a high milage why go by factory settings you should run the nut down till there is a lil resistence and call it good.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
um sounds like a dumb idea but like everybody has said its a high milage why go by factory settings you should run the nut down till there is a lil resistence and call it good.

You should've the valley when the intake was pulled. Its looked like someone put a hugh pile of black mud in there. It was covered all over the valley except where the pushrods are.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
You should've the valley when the intake was pulled. Its looked like someone put a hugh pile of black mud in there. It was covered all over the valley except where the pushrods are.

And that my friends, is why I run Synthetic.
Its also a lack of maintenance.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
And that my friends, is why I run Synthetic.
Its also a lack of maintenance.

Yeah, a few more oil changes I'm sure wouldn't have hurt.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I don't run synthetic, I do however run a half quart of ATF though...My engines are clean enough to eat off of inside.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
My 2.8 in my S10 is clean as a new motor with 270,000 on it. Just regualr maintance is all i do regular oil and a wix filter ever 3000-3500 miles. She must not be doing them often enough.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
My 2.8 in my S10 is clean as a new motor with 270,000 on it. Just regualr maintance is all i do regular oil and a wix filter ever 3000-3500 miles. She must not be doing them often enough.

She bought it like that. She just got the car over spring break in April 2012.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS