1992 Camaro RS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Oh, and add a +1 to the "through the floor fuel pump access panel" win column. C'mon Andy don't be shy. Let's see pics of that.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Next will be finding out what's actually wrong with the engine.

You must be registered for see images attach

Did you find any rodents in the air cleaner?

You got me beat, I never pulled a fuel pump that looked that bad!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Oh, and add a +1 to the "through the floor fuel pump access panel" win column. C'mon Andy don't be shy. Let's see pics of that.

Yes pliz.
Moar pix!

I actually hate that the access hole was cut. Imho, it's a terrible thing to do when it's the passenger compartment and also a unibody. Besides that, you simply can't cut a hole big enough to get the whole sending unit through, without cutting the hard lines and then patching them back together. That part isn't a super big deal with a TBI engine, but it's a fire hazard on a TPI car.

I'll get pictures of the hackfest. Once I'm done sacrificing fuel pumps in that tank, I'll also post pictures of how I deal with the hackery. It will be a panel with a flanged perimeter for strength, a gasket to eliminate fumes in the passenger compartment, and riv-nuts for easy removal and install.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Did you find any rodents in the air cleaner?

You got me beat, I never pulled a fuel pump that looked that bad!

I haven't found any rodents anywhere. Just oodles and oodles of acorn remains and mouse droppings. All of it under the hood, under the rear of the car and also the exhaust was packed full. Thankfully none in the interior. The air cleaner was full of nuts, but nothing past the air filter.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So, I'm not sure what happened, but when I went back out to fiddle with the car again, the injectors where firing when I cranked it over. It starts, runs, then dies. If you really play with the pedal, you can keep it running. I had previously blown out the lines in case they were full of crap. It must have taken a bit to get the lines primed again. I also must not have had the light in there good enough when I tested for injector pulse.

I rigged up a fuel pressure gauge and not surprising, the fuel pump is extremely weak. It won't even register on the gauge. I'm surprised that pump I put in works at all. Although it only has about 45k on it, it's an original pump from an '83 Crossfire T/A that I pulled from the car back in '00-ish. I'll pick up a new pump tomorrow and see how that goes.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Bought a 29 dollar pump from the local Advance Auto, with a lifetime warranty. I'm guessing I'll have to use that warranty at least a couple times. Not just because cheap pumps are unreliable, but because the inside of the tank is so cruddy. Here's the hacked hole for some of y'alls viewing pleasure.

So with the new pump and strainer installed, the car starts and runs on it's own. The IAC valve is a bit sticky and unsteady, but it runs perfectly when warmed up. The thermostat opens, cooling fan runs when it should, it all seems good.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So then I moved on to exhaust, since I had to cut the old setup off. Turns out it was all shot anyway. I went to my stash of exhaust parts and picked out a long discontinued single Flowmaster kit. This kit was purchased back in '99 or so and this is the third car its been on. It was originally on an LG4 '86 Z28 so it has the 2.5" converter flange. I later installed it on an '88 TPI 350 so I had to weld it to the (hollowed out) 3" outlet converter. Well now it's going back on a car with the low output y-pipe, so welding needed done again lol.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Dang I wish those were easy to find down south. My side of the world. Great score. Last one I touched
was a no budget LS swap. Its stupid fun. I love this body style.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Dang I wish those were easy to find down south. My side of the world. Great score. Last one I touched
was a no budget LS swap. Its stupid fun. I love this body style.

Yeah, I used to buy these 3rd gens all the time, they are a lot of fun. I parted out many that I probably shouldn't have. I used to spend every weekend at the junkyard, grabbing parts for them whether I needed them or not. I think this is the first new one I've aquired since '07 or so. They cost a lot more now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS