'88 TBI 350 - multiple personalities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brendo613

Reaction score
First Name
Brendan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Vandura 2500
Engine Size
350ci
Paw Paw, either the conversion company covered it up with carpet or I'm a bad ECM searcher :D

HotRod, absolutely. Much eddjoo' in this journey.

Quite very happy with this van finally. Thing's turning into a real babe. Installed new heater yesterday. That was awful! 9:00-2:00 is too long for a simple operation. User error maybe ;)

NY trip - the van fit 7 friends, drumset, 2 guitars, guitar & bass amp, & misc. gear comfortably. The van is a roadtrip warrior! NY traffic moved at 1mph for a bit, and cruising @ 70-75 isn't the best for mileage ... 13.6mpg avg. That's pretty piss poor, but I think it computes. Unaerodynamic van weighs 4700lbs, friends weigh ~1000lbs, band gear weights ~200lbs; 350 was working but holding strong. Half throttle on some longer grades.

A trip w/ 5 ppl to the Jersey Shore yielded 17mpg last year. That's an easy, 55-65mph, flat ride. Back then I didn't have lockup in 3rd & 4th with a 2200 stall speed, ooooh aaah.

Thanks all very much for your help. I consider this a resounding success. Here are some friends & some glamour shots. Red flannel makes me look 42 @ 24, but I assure you - I felt 8 the whole trip.

You must be registered for see images attach

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
One of these days I am going to try and get one of those squarebody conversion vans. Always wanted to try one. Thanks for sharing the trip and pics. Glad everything went well and you made it back home in the 'ol girl.

brendo613

Reaction score
First Name
Brendan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Vandura 2500
Engine Size
350ci
You guys are a good lot here :)

More updates are to come as time progresses. This summer I painted my work van with an HVLP gun & Rustoleum. You can bet my van's gettin' it too.

Even leant the ol' gal to my parents last week. I'm 1 driver with 3 cars; now that sis has her license, they're 3 drivers & 2 cars, heh.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You going to go with one solid color? How bad is that rust under there, I see a few spots on the rockers.

brendo613

Reaction score
First Name
Brendan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Vandura 2500
Engine Size
350ci
Negative. A stripe'd break it up quite well, reckon.

I have a filing cabinet ready to donate fresh metal for those rockers :D Didn't get around to it this season. Fun fun!

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Paw Paw, either the conversion company covered it up with carpet or I'm a bad ECM searcher :D

HotRod, absolutely. Much eddjoo' in this journey.

Quite very happy with this van finally. Thing's turning into a real babe. Installed new heater yesterday. That was awful! 9:00-2:00 is too long for a simple operation. User error maybe ;)

NY trip - the van fit 7 friends, drumset, 2 guitars, guitar & bass amp, & misc. gear comfortably. The van is a roadtrip warrior! NY traffic moved at 1mph for a bit, and cruising @ 70-75 isn't the best for mileage ... 13.6mpg avg. That's pretty piss poor, but I think it computes. Unaerodynamic van weighs 4700lbs, friends weigh ~1000lbs, band gear weights ~200lbs; 350 was working but holding strong. Half throttle on some longer grades.

A trip w/ 5 ppl to the Jersey Shore yielded 17mpg last year. That's an easy, 55-65mph, flat ride. Back then I didn't have lockup in 3rd & 4th with a 2200 stall speed, ooooh aaah.

Thanks all very much for your help. I consider this a resounding success. Here are some friends & some glamour shots. Red flannel makes me look 42 @ 24, but I assure you - I felt 8 the whole trip.

Love it! a mini tour bus!
What do you play?
I am doing the band thing meself here...Drums.

brendo613

Reaction score
First Name
Brendan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Vandura 2500
Engine Size
350ci
Exactly - such reasons are why I took the free beast. Potential spikes dreams time & time again :)

I'm a guitarist & singer mainly, but I play drums, keyboard, bass, pedal steel as well. Last year I recorded an album by myself. Since then I've been practicing it with friends. I've also made other albums with people, heh.

http://theflashingthoughts.bandcamp.com
http://brendanandjason.bandcamp.com

Music is my real focus; cars are my real hobby, heh.

brendo613

Reaction score
First Name
Brendan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Vandura 2500
Engine Size
350ci
What a great tune. Thanks for sharing it, Martin

Forum statistics

Threads