'88 TBI 350 - multiple personalities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Post #4, end of first paragraph.
A bad CTS will never dump that much fuel to have Droplets form from the injectors.

Without a doubt this is your area, but I will still argue with that. My '91 4.3 did it once when I was driving down the road. Lost most power, a crap ton of black smoke from the exhaust, no throttle response and it refused to idle. It's like the injectors were literally pouring fuel into the motor. It set the CTS code, so I changed the CTS and it was back to running like a new truck and the injectors still have a nice spray pattern today too. That was 100K ago.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Hmm....the only time I have seen smoke, is when the MAP vac line comes off, otherwise, it is supposed to run off the Calpack for limp home in the event of sensor loss like that. Not saying it didn't happen, but I will say I don't know everything, and just learned something new!

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Didn't intend for post 9# to be a smartass reply, but looking back....sorry. Didn't mean it that way.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Didn't intend for post 9# to be a smartass reply, but looking back....sorry. Didn't mean it that way.

I didn't think it came off as smart assery :favorites13:

brendo613

Reaction score
First Name
Brendan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Vandura 2500
Engine Size
350ci
I've sensed nothing here but top-notch Square Bodiedness.

TBI rebuild is underway. It feels good, not wasteful, replacing parts that aren't broken yet. Reckon the van'll be back together in time for a November 16 trip to NY. Thanks for the help thus far, folks.

Oh, I tried the pump manual prime / injector test - they held pressure. Drips seen with engine running must indicate a need for cleaning. Andy, I am curious to see if the injectors spray well with the new CTS installed, but I wish I didn't have Witchhunter's long turn around time to contend with. Coast-to-coast shipping twice and a 5 day turnaround put me up against the wall for a November 9th inspection date, and a November 16th trip to NY. Maybe I can find someone local to clean injectors. Decisions, decisions!

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Might could be the o2 sensor went bad on Yuh too.
Might have stretched the wire when working the new transmixer in er.
On the o2 sensor that is.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I've sensed nothing here but top-notch Square Bodiedness.

TBI rebuild is underway. It feels good, not wasteful, replacing parts that aren't broken yet. Reckon the van'll be back together in time for a November 16 trip to NY. Thanks for the help thus far, folks.

Oh, I tried the pump manual prime / injector test - they held pressure. Drips seen with engine running must indicate a need for cleaning. Andy, I am curious to see if the injectors spray well with the new CTS installed, but I wish I didn't have Witchhunter's long turn around time to contend with. Coast-to-coast shipping twice and a 5 day turnaround put me up against the wall for a November 9th inspection date, and a November 16th trip to NY. Maybe I can find someone local to clean injectors. Decisions, decisions!
Did you do this with the key power on? I wanted you to power up the injectors, to see if maybe the ground wires from the ecm may have chaffed on something, and wer grounding out and dumping fuel.
I didnt know you were back east...and its right there in front of me.
Send them to Jon at http://www.fuelinjectorconnection.com ...24.50 each for service, and he is in GA. I sent him my TPI injectors for cleaning, and instead of cleaning them, he sent me a new balnced set in, just for cost of cleaning service. Sinc mine still worked, he just threw them in a pile to be cleaned, and then later flow matched. Helluva guy!

Or...if you can crack your fuel lines, and empty your tank into a few gas cans, You can dump a coupla cans of sea foam, Berrymans, or 3m fuel system cleaner, and connect the lines to your injector pod while it is dismounted from the throttle base. Next, make 2 wires with gator clips on each end, long enough to reach from the battery, or other 12v source of choice. connect 1 wire to the + side, and the other to the - side of the power source, then connect the + side to an injector post. Hold the injector pod over a metal dog bowl, put the fuel circuit into prime to pressurize the system with concentrated cleaner, and then puls the injector with the - wire. Be careful about sparks. watch for the spray pattern to return to a fine mist, then move to
the next injector. When the bowl fills, get a funnel, with a paper coffee filter in it, and dump the used cleaner back into the tank. you just dont have the ultra sonic doohiky they use.

This has worked okay for me, I built a little setup at one point, where i had an extra injector pod, and an old in tank pump from my sisters old T bird. Mounted the pump in a black 5 gallon bucket, made a mount at the top of the bucket for the pod, and used a 12 volt 30 amp power supply to run the pump, and to pulse or hold the injectors with a button. the cleaner was recirculated constantly, and was filtered by the sock filter on the bottom of the pump. I did multiport injectors too.

Last edited:

brendo613

Reaction score
First Name
Brendan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Vandura 2500
Engine Size
350ci
Tested as described - no chafing evident, as pressure holds. The injectors appear to pulse when they should, but drip inbetween open & closed pintle positions.

East coast Georgia is a better bet for this time crunch - thanks for that link. Also gonna call around to local shop friends: see if there's someone in my backyard I'm not privy to the services of.

O2 wire is intact, but good thinking. Reckon they will conk out on me eventually soon. Van used to burn so much oil when I got it. Valve stem steals allowed rather massive oil consumption.

DIY injector cleaner - I'd done something similar, but not as thorough. Rigged the injectors to open & close with a 12v AC adaptor, and I shot carb cleaner through them frontways & backways. TBI is currently disassembled for new gasketry, and while tempted to clean them myself, I must wager the value of my overextended time against the low price to outsource.

I'm really a musician, who has an expensive & time consuming car hobby :D I took the van as a free gift, and have since repaired "what's needed." While I love the van, I understand why it was free!

Last edited:

brendo613

Reaction score
First Name
Brendan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Vandura 2500
Engine Size
350ci
Hey all. Trying not to abandon communication here - the reassembly has been a 2-steps-forward, 1-step-back endeavor. Had no fuel spray and it turns out the injectors are frozen :( Removed them, rigged them up with 12v, but I can't get the pintle to move. I had them sonically cleaned but maybe that is what killed them. Preventative maintenance, haha. New ones for $79.99 / ea. @ Advance Auto, but there's a coupon for $40 off orders over $110. Guess that's what I'll do ... d'oh!

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Hey all. Trying not to abandon communication here - the reassembly has been a 2-steps-forward, 1-step-back endeavor. Had no fuel spray and it turns out the injectors are frozen :( Removed them, rigged them up with 12v, but I can't get the pintle to move. I had them sonically cleaned but maybe that is what killed them. Preventative maintenance, haha. New ones for $79.99 / ea. @ Advance Auto, but there's a coupon for $40 off orders over $110. Guess that's what I'll do ... d'oh!

Who cleaned them?
I am going to warn you, I have bought new injectors from the parts store, Autozone to be exact, and they swore up and down that they were for a 350, but when I installed them, the truck ran like they were 4.3 injectors...Just be prepaired for that possibility.

Last edited:

brendo613

Reaction score
First Name
Brendan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Vandura 2500
Engine Size
350ci
Hehe, oh boy.
Had them cleaned by Joe @ East Coast Auto Machine's, a local machine shop. He's a good dude and knows his stuff. I don't fault his cleaning method; reckon the injectors were close to done because they dripped, anyhow. Maybe the sonic cleaner just finished them off ;)

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
good luck my 88 tbi setup is crapped out and it's gonna get carb'd I'd tired of trying to figure it out and changing everything new on it.

mine ran bad when cold but good when warmed up, then I rebuilt the tbi and cleaned my injectors, now it's horrible.

brendo613

Reaction score
First Name
Brendan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Vandura 2500
Engine Size
350ci
Sounds like a pain. My F150 is carburetor-equipped, which I like on that. I'm familiar enough with carbs to have that truck running well, but I'd be in new territory with a carb for a 350. I like the TBI, even when it's not working :D
Took today's opportunity to adjust rear brakes, and paint the wheels white. I like this van.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I have to say I see a pattern here. 2 members here reporting that they tried to clean their injectors one way or the other and it got worse.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Swims didnt have his done, I think he just soaked them. Its very rare that a tBI injector ever really takes a ****....most cases I have seen, are where the truck sits for a long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aultinator