88-91 Suburban welcome here? Differences?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
this thread has gotten way otta hand

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sorta did, didn't it? ******* Mods !!! Tearing threads up like that. :insane:

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Sorta did, didn't it? ******* Mods !!! Tearing threads up like that. :insane:

just think of the examples your guys are making, and to think I was suppose to look up to you guys:homoswitch:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Sorry about that. Had a few beers that night.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Actually I'd normally make issue of this and avoid the OT. But, the thread stayed on topic all the way through the OP getting his answers and several responses. Anyone who wants to read after that, it's totally optional. If it's worth carrying on with some more content we missed, the thread would be cleaned up for certain.

columnshift

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 heavy half (retired)
Engine Size
Actually I'd normally make issue of this and avoid the OT. But, the thread stayed on topic all the way through the OP getting his answers and several responses. Anyone who wants to read after that, it's totally optional. If it's worth carrying on with some more content we missed, the thread would be cleaned up for certain.

Well I was sort of hoping for more than 'just power mirrors' as information, yes. :)

Usually later years have problems solved that earlier ones don't so i'm probably going to aim for a 1991 Suburban 3/4 ton (or possibly even 1 ton if one was made) then as an acquisition goal.

I'm still curious what kind of additional changes may have been made vs _1987_ pickups though since that will be the last year most are familiar with in the pickup line, if there are unique incompatibilities, improvements, or similar.

Does anyone think that older versions "did things better" than the new ones? (totally open ended question - obviously someone who liked full time 4WD would say so and that could be swapped into a new one for instance) Anything you'd want to swap onto a newer one to make the 'ultimate' squarebody?

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
44 in IROK on stock lift for ultimate burb, also a bunch of dudes in speedos, if you get the front bench you can fit 9 total dudes in speedos. Get the deep tint factory rear windows and speedos become optional.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well I was sort of hoping for more than 'just power mirrors' as information, yes. :)

Usually later years have problems solved that earlier ones don't so i'm probably going to aim for a 1991 Suburban 3/4 ton (or possibly even 1 ton if one was made) then as an acquisition goal.

I'm still curious what kind of additional changes may have been made vs _1987_ pickups though since that will be the last year most are familiar with in the pickup line, if there are unique incompatibilities, improvements, or similar.

Does anyone think that older versions "did things better" than the new ones? (totally open ended question - obviously someone who liked full time 4WD would say so and that could be swapped into a new one for instance) Anything you'd want to swap onto a newer one to make the 'ultimate' squarebody?

No 1 ton Burbs were made. You do see some Dually Burbs but those were conversions.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Another change to the Burbs and Blazers was a change to an electric speedo in 90' I believe it was. They were no longer cable driven.

columnshift

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 heavy half (retired)
Engine Size
No 1 ton Burbs were made. You do see some Dually Burbs but those were conversions.

Really? I was sure i'd seen references to them elsewhere... :-/ Only that they were rare but that they did exist with full 1 ton running gear.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Nope, none at all, not even in another bodystyle.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Really? I was sure i'd seen references to them elsewhere... :-/ Only that they were rare but that they did exist with full 1 ton running gear.

Aftermarket conversions ONLY and that entailed adding hips and dual wheels.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins

a lot of burban 2500 had 14FF which I guess you would say is a 1ton axle, if that's what your thinking of, but it still has 3/4 perches and springs

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody