1988 3/4 Ton Suburban - Front Leaf Spring Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ztrain727

Reaction score
First Name
Zane
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20 3/4 Ton
Engine Size
350 TBI
Hi all,

I've got an '88 V20 Suburban 3/4 ton with a TBI 350 used for primarily for towing plus some casual offroading and highway miles.

The front springs are shot, but before jumping in with a stock replacement, I was wondering if there's a relatively painless way to get a softer ride up front without too much body roll, reduced tow capacity, or expensive steering upgrades.

Option 1 would be cheap parts store replacements, new bushings, much needed maintenance regardless.

Option 2 would be to try skyjacker or similar soft ride stock length springs (47" I believe)

Option 3 would be a 52" or 56" conversion and modified mounts, but I think this would also mean crossover steering/more body roll and probably more time and $ than I'm willing to put in.

Is there another option worth considering?

I know it's always gonna be a solid axle 3/4 ton, but I sure get thrashed on some of our forest roads around here.

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
:popcorn:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I’d call Deaver. They’ll consider everything you want the truck to do and build you a custom spring. A 2-3” lift will give you some curvature to the front springs and won’t require anything more than a drop pitman arm.

New set of bushings all the way around is always a good idea, as are shocks like the bilstien 5100s.

Since you tow and do mild trails a front sway bar disconnect would likely be a decent upgrade.

ztrain727

Reaction score
First Name
Zane
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20 3/4 Ton
Engine Size
350 TBI
I’d call Deaver. They’ll consider everything you want the truck to do and build you a custom spring. A 2-3” lift will give you some curvature to the front springs and won’t require anything more than a drop pitman arm.

Appreciate the advice! I'll give them a call on Monday. My steering box needs new seals anyway, as much as I dread getting the pitman arm off...

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@ztrain727,

Air bags! Unless you have to have leaf springs many upgrades are done with an air bag system front and rear. There is other hardware you can use with them with struts, bars, etc. Included the compressor that comes with the air bags and you can go up and down as you please.
Another option would be coil overs all around. Many leaf spring setup is replaced with coil over shocks. You'd be surprised how stiff coil over's can be made to be. And the size will dictate just how versatile your ride can be made.

Last edited:

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Deaver's prices might shock ya a bit..

I would try ORD first. They make a Deaver copy, multi leaf super flexy.
They could set you up with a 2" lift which rides awesome and frankentruck above mentioned, unhook the the sway bar
for more flex... but he didn't mention longer shocks for the bigger monty. ORD has the Ford extended shock mounts for the longer shocks as well. It's amazing what that flex and extra droop will do for any technical terrain. You still won't be able to turn left if you drop the drivers wheel down into a ditch (without crossover).

If you're thinkng cross over, the steering box is the easy part haha. You'll need a drivers side knuckle you can pin a steering arm on.

ORD.com also sell Tough country... which have the proper spring rate so you get a nice ride.

For shocks I always recommend Doetsch,

bad_idea

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
I am in a similar boat. Can anyone with experience expound upon the 52" leafs option? I have heard of such a thing, but thought it was just for off road capability. On road manners is of more value to me.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@shiftpro,

How can you tell if your leaf springs are worn out? It's not like with shocks is it? And I have the same question about coil springs. How so you know if they are worn out?

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
@shiftpro,

How can you tell if your leaf springs are worn out? It's not like with shocks is it? And I have the same question about coil springs. How so you know if they are worn out?
Truck looks like it has been lowered...
Front springs on 4x4 are flat from factory... sacked they get a reverse arch.
Coil springs simply do not lift the truck to where it was originally. Here's a tip for 2x trucks... if it's has a small block, install heavier springs from a 454 truck. Raises the front end and it looks (imo) and performs much better, truck handles better, lands from jumps. Win/win.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@ztrain727,

Air bags! Unless you have to have leaf springs many upgrades are done with an air bag system front and rear. There is other hardware you can use with them with struts, bars, etc. Included the compressor that comes with the air bags and you can go up and down as you please.
Another option would be coil overs all around. Many leaf spring setup is replaced with coil over shocks. You'd be surprised how stiff coil over's can be made to be. And the size will dictate just how versatile your ride can be made.
What your suggesting is either a very expensive/involved conversion kit(s) or some serious custom work.
There are too many options for replacement leaf springs to make this a worthwhile venture for 99.9% of users, imo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL