86' my first square body, also I'm new here.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey all, glad to be here! I hope to learn a lot from this forum. I bought my first square body from a family friend, it has 81k original miles on it. It was her Dad's truck and he passed away and it has been sitting ever since. He bought it used in '93 with 58,000 on it. The truck itself is in good shape, obviously needs some tlc but not a whole lot! I plan on repainting it the same color(s). I can't find anything other colors I'm a big fan of for these body styles. Also, what site do you guys use for ordering parts? I've been looking on Rock Auto, any pro's and cons with them? Thanks!
You must be registered for see images attach

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Welcome to the site, nice project.. Rock Auto is one of the better sources for parts..

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for the welcome and thanks for answering my question. How are there parts as far as quality goes? There prices seem really good, was considering using LMC but I read some negative reviews that make me not want to use them.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Welcome, clear it ,drop it and call it done. Love the weathered look.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I have limited dealings with Rock Auto but all were positive and quality parts.

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I don't mind the weathered look as well, but I've always wanted a clean square body. Also, the only reason she sold me the truck was because I'm going to fix it up and repaint it. She had plenty of offers for it, but didn't sell it to anyone else because she knew that they weren't going to take care of it or fix it. I've heard nothing bad about Rock Auto, where do you get your parts? Thanks.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I don't mind the weathered look as well, but I've always wanted a clean square body. Also, the only reason she sold me the truck was because I'm going to fix it up and repaint it. She had plenty of offers for it, but didn't sell it to anyone else because she knew that they weren't going to take care of it or fix it. I've heard nothing bad about Rock Auto, where do you get your parts? Thanks.
No one place really all depends what I need and what I'm working on. Carquest used to be good but they got bought out by Advance but the old carquest near me has good people. Used to use Summit as well.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Same colors as my first '87 K20. If you re-paint, take good photos and measurements of the stripes as I'm not aware of anyone reproducing those. With regards to parts supplies, I've had good luck with Rockauto and Napa. If you are looking for specific restoration parts, here a partial list:

LMC Truck, Brother's Truck, Truck Shop, Classic Parts of America, Tucker's and Classic Industries

There are several more, but these should get you started. Quality can vary between companies though.

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
No one place really all depends what I need and what I'm working on. Carquest used to be good but they got bought out by Advance but the old carquest near me has good people. Used to use Summit as well.

Thanks, I appreciate the information. I'm not a huge mechanic but I know a little bit. Everything helps!

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Howb
Same colors
Same colors as my first '87 K20. If you re-paint, take good photos and measurements of the stripes as I'm not aware of anyone reproducing those. With regards to parts supplies, I've had good luck with Rockauto and Napa. If you are looking for specific restoration parts, here a partial list:

LMC Truck, Brother's Truck, Truck Shop, Classic Parts of America, Tucker's and Classic Industries

There are several more, but these should get you started. Quality can vary between companies though.

Have you done business with LMC? If so how is the quality of the part(s)?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Howb

Have you done business with LMC? If so how is the quality of the part(s)?
I've done quite a bit of business with LMC over the years. IMO, (and you'll get a LOT of differing opinions here) overall the quality is decent BUT it is aftermarket so don't expect perfect fit or something better than OEM. The body panels I've gotten could be worked to fit decent. There other stuff is alright, as well. I've heard some say that their shipping is high. They are local for me so I wouldn't know about that aspect.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Thanks, I appreciate the information. I'm not a huge mechanic but I know a little bit. Everything helps!
I've used LMC for sheet metal that's about it they were the cheapest with shipping for whole wheel arches but Summit for rockers, inner rockers and cab corners.

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've done quite a bit of business with LMC over the years. IMO, (and you'll get a LOT of differing opinions here) overall the quality is decent BUT it is aftermarket so don't expect perfect fit or something better than OEM. The body panels I've gotten could be worked to fit decent. There other stuff is alright, as well. I've heard some say that their shipping is high. They are local for me so I wouldn't know about that aspect.

I know it's going to need front inner fender Wells and at least one cab corner, I'm going to take the running boards off and leave them off and also to check the rocker panels for rust. What's the average cost for repainting? I've never had a vehicle painted so I'm not sure what the ballpark would be.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD