86' my first square body, also I'm new here.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
LMC has been pretty good. I used them for most of my '79 K15 build. A few parts I wasn't real happy with, but my problem was I started building these trucks back in the late 80's and was buying new factory parts. I've bought most of my parts for the K30 from the Truck Shop or Classic Parts of America. Mainly due to shipping costs and they still had some OEM parts I needed.

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've used LMC for sheet metal that's about it they were the cheapest with shipping for whole wheel arches but Summit for rockers, inner rockers and cab corners.

So you would suggest Summit for cab corners? I'm going to need inner fender wells for both front driver and passenger.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
So you would suggest Summit for cab corners? I'm going to need inner fender wells for both front driver and passenger.
No matter where you get them they are gonna be from Taiwan stay way clear of Chinese stuff unless your gonna tape it on I'd say glue but the glue would probably eat threw them.

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
No matter where you get them they are gonna be from Taiwan stay way clear of Chinese stuff unless your gonna tape it on I'd say glue but the glue would probably eat threw them.

Would you prefer welding to put the cab corners on? I've heard of the 3M stuff but I haven't done a whole lot of body work on anything. Also, is there any way to patch a gas tank? Or am I going to have to buy a whole new one? The right tank has a small leak in it so I can only use the left as of now. Pretty much everything on this truck is going to be a new learning experience for me besides brakes, spark plugs, oil change, all of your basic maintenance, etc.

cooperhw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
1978, 1981, 1983
Truck Model
C-10, K-20, C-20
Engine Size
5.7L
I buy body panel parts from LMC with no huge complaints. Aftermarket is aftermarket. Rockauto is my go to place if I am buying what I call cheaper items. They have a good selection and most of the vehicles never get another

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Would you prefer welding to put the cab corners on? I've heard of the 3M stuff but I haven't done a whole lot of body work on anything. Also, is there any way to patch a gas tank? Or am I going to have to buy a whole new one? The right tank has a small leak in it so I can only use the left as of now. Pretty much everything on this truck is going to be a new learning experience for me besides brakes, spark plugs, oil change, all of your basic maintenance, etc.
I'm a welder/fabricator by trade. So I'm not shy about cutting anything up. Lol as far as the tank not really. There are some things out there but they are just band aides and won't last. I did a Blazer tank in mine just took a few frame and bed modifications but I'm happy with it. But then again mine is by no means a show pony, it's for playing in the mud and irritating people on the road. Being that my exhaust is stock truck window height lol.

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm a welder/fabricator by trade. So I'm not shy about cutting anything up. Lol as far as the tank not really. There are some things out there but they are just band aides and won't last. I did a Blazer tank in mine just took a few frame and bed modifications but I'm happy with it. But then again mine is by no means a show pony, it's for playing in the mud and irritating people on the road. Being that my exhaust is stock truck window height lol.

Haha, I'm not a welder so I would have to find someone to weld the cab corners on, what kind of welder is best for welding on body parts? I've heard a gas welder because it helps in not rusting the part.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Haha, I'm not a welder so I would have to find someone to weld the cab corners on, what kind of welder is best for welding on body parts? I've heard a gas welder because it helps in not rusting the part.
Type of welder has nothing to do with rusting steel. It will rust anyway if not treated wether you mig,stick or tig it. I'd recommend a 110v mig with 75/25 gas.

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Type of welder has nothing to do with rusting steel. It will rust anyway if not treated wether you mig,stick or tig it. I'd recommend a 110v mig with 75/25 gas.

Thanks! When I start getting at it, I'm sure I'll have more questions!

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Thanks! When I start getting at it, I'm sure I'll have more questions!
No problem measure 3 times cut once...also for a beginner I recommend lap joining not butt joining pieces. Get your self a sheet metal clanging tool it will become your friend.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Buy new tanks, they're under $100 ea. My truck had been parked since '98. The gas was bad in both and there was rust scale inside. It will clog your fuel system eventually. I would also buy new fuel senders at the same time. I took my bed off and did both at the same time. Makes hooking up all the hoses a lot easier.

kg264

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350 V8
Welcome! Nice truck!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Jiggity76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
I just got some new tanks from USA1Industries are they are really good I think. I bought all OEM body panels since I didn't want to have any surprises.

I like the color combo and considering it for my 87 GMC 4x4 restoration. I'm considering grey/black/grey and maroon/black/maroon too. I love the original maroon interior so definitely keeping that. Nice clean rig considering it's a Midwest truck.

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Buy new tanks, they're under $100 ea. My truck had been parked since '98. The gas was bad in both and there was rust scale inside. It will clog your fuel system eventually. I would also buy new fuel senders at the same time. I took my bed off and did both at the same time. Makes hooking up all the hoses a lot easier.
Where'd you order your tanks from?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD