85 K1500 front end/wheel problem ?!?!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
10.50's, Normal width for a 31. Common to go 12.50 at 33's up.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
thats what I have...hmmm, must be the camera angle. I tell ya, I hate the frikken wheels i have right now.I cant wait to find a set of ralleys, and the next set of tires are going to be 235/75s.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
I had a rear do the same thing on my S10 and looked just like yours. I had one on my K20 seperate so bad it split the tread all the way to the cords.

inbowhunter713

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Off topic but the rusted out plate on the inner fender that it seems all old chevys have. What is it for and better yet can you get a replacement piece?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I think it's just a reinforcement, to spread the load of that one bolt. All the inner fenders I've seen that part is spot welded in place and not really replacable.

inbowhunter713

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That plate on my 84 is bolted in

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

78 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cheyne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
maybe the axle u-joint? when you push on the tire, wheel wobble back and forth is only the bearings held by the locking nut. holy crap that tire is crazy.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I still stand by my previous statement. Even considering the camera really doesn't show it very well, that tire can't be fully responsible for your death wobble. Back when I was dirt poor, I've driven on stuff MUCH worse than that for weeks at a time. Trust me, if you look hard enough, you will find loose front end parts.

When you get some round tires back on it, you might want to check the alignment too. All you need is a grease pencil and a tape measure.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
If he was driving any faster then 15 that lump would have been shakin the hell out of him. Ive done tires for years and it doesnt take a big lump in the tire for things to get very nasty.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
If he was driving any faster then 15 that lump would have been shakin the hell out of him. Ive done tires for years and it doesnt take a big lump in the tire for things to get very nasty.

ding ding ding!!!!!!! EXACTLY

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

ding ding ding!!!!!!! EXACTLY

Don't take this the wrong way, but you guys must be wimps :)

I understand it will cause a good shake... but a good shake and "uncontrollable shake" are two different things. I kid you not, I've driven on tires much worse than that (makes the one in the pic look like a new tire) at freeway speeds for weeks at a time. Annoying sure, but you can still keep the truck/car pointing where you want it.

...Check the front end, there's more problems on the horizon.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Your right dont take this the wrong way but drivini on tires like what your talking about will cause all those problems lol

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Don't take this the wrong way, but you guys must be wimps :)

I understand it will cause a good shake... but a good shake and "uncontrollable shake" are two different things. I kid you not, I've driven on tires much worse than that (makes the one in the pic look like a new tire) at freeway speeds for weeks at a time. Annoying sure, but you can still keep the truck/car pointing where you want it.

...Check the front end, there's more problems on the horizon.

Andy

I assure you I am NOT a "wimp". You keep saying there is more problems, and your basically (or atleast I am interpreting it) saying that the bad Tire was caused by another steering or suspention part. A busted cord is NOT caused from ANYTHING other then a Defect in the tire itself or foreign material in the roadway.

I have valued your opinions and your knowledge on this forum greatly. You have proven yourself to be VERY Knoledgeable in alot of different categories.

BUT IMHO If you have driven for weeks on tires worse then that at freeway speeds then I question your intellegence. I can understand hard finacial times More so then ALOT of other people on this Fourm. But I also realize that a broken cord is more then just "annoying" it is EXTREMELY dangerouse, not only to you but all the other motorist on the road. It is simply ignorance to jeapradise ANYONES life. That is 1 of the biggest reasons why Our state and alot of others require an Inspection prior liceeansing a vehichle.

I have had blow outs on alot of different vehichles from cars to 18 wheelers and NONE of them are any fun especially when your weighing 80,000 pulling a tanker.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
In all fairness HR did say it looked like the leaf spring bushings are bad. I wonder if it just happened while driving on a regular smooth road or if he hit a bad pothole near the time it happened? I had a double blowout on a 1,000 gallon straight truck tanker hauling blacktop sealing material, at 13# per gallon, scary ****. But they alway did the bare minimum to that thing just to barely keep it going, International gas engine, total turd. I think it had more stop-leak in the radiator than antifreeze/water. :rofl:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshuars