1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

84 Tilt column shaft not out far enough

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering & Brakes' started by Ronno6, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Matt69olds

Matt69olds Full Access Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    GMC 1/2 ton
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    I suppose the bearings could be worn, but it’s pretty unlikely. I’m thinking maybe the spring that keeps tension on the bearings could be weak, or maybe something is missing causing excessive clearance.

As I mentioned earlier, steering columns can be a pain in the ass!! Who knows who may have tried repairs in the past? Wouldn’t be the first time someone couldnt figure out how something went together, and left out “extra unneeded” parts. I’d suggest getting a good service manual, or a detailed exploded view of all the parts and order they go in, and see if anything is missing or damaged.

2. Chevyguy

Chevyguy Full Access Member

First Name:
    Clayton
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V20
    Engine Size:
    5.7 Litre
    Everything is there I used the tutorial that Jazzman from the Fiero forum posted. Same column and he showed lot's of pictures with cutaway views. I've had the truck for 30 years and I admit I used the steering wheel to pull myself up into the truck. I wonder if the plastic knuckle is wore out. Good used columns are hard to find and part's aren't cheap.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

3. Chevyguy

Chevyguy Full Access Member

First Name:
    Clayton
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V20
    Engine Size:
    5.7 Litre
    Looks like my column tube where the plate sits that the four torx bolts are bolted to warped and cracked. The plate doesn't have much metal to sit on. With everything tight and the tilt being used it get's stressed causing the bolt's to be loosened over time. I'm going to have mine repaired and the cracks welded up if I can't find another good column.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk