'84-'87 Steering Column Swap into '78 Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Positrack

Reaction score
First Name
Clark
Truck Year
'76 and '78
Truck Model
K25 and K30
Engine Size
400 in both
I'm swapping an '84-'87 (not sure of year) steering column with tilt, cruise, and intermittent wipers into my '78 K30. I realize there will be some custom wiring necessary to make it work (I'm hoping to get the stock cruise controls hooked up to an aftermarket cruise unit as well), but is there anything that will cause real difficulty with this? Will my '78 non-intermittent wiper motor work with the later intermittent column and module (which I also have) or will I have to replace the motor? I am aware of the differences in the shafts. Thanks.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I believe... you do have to change the wiper motor. If changing the wiper motor I do believe... you have to change the wiper linkage in the cowl area too.

Take lots of pics and im sure @HotRodPC , @RetroC10Sport and @chengny and others will help out :)

I am planning on doing an 84' column with intermittent and tilt into an 83' which has tilt but no other features. So I will be following closely :popcorn:

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Us kanooks are planning to do this so any and all help will be awesome.

Positrack

Reaction score
First Name
Clark
Truck Year
'76 and '78
Truck Model
K25 and K30
Engine Size
400 in both
Thanks for the responses. Good Lord, why does everything seem to turn into a can of worms...:whymewhyme: I can probably get the wiper motor and linkage from the truck the column came out of, but of course the cowl was changed - will the later linkage work in the earlier cab cowl?

Another question; I've been looking into cruise control. I was planning on using a Rostra kit, but they advise only using one of their control units (either a stalk or pad with the button controls). In my previous research, I read that the factory turn signal/intermittent wiper/washer/cruise stalk CAN be used if wired properly. Can anybody confirm this? I want to reuse the factory multifunction stalk if possible. Thanks for any and all help.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
'78-'84 wiper motors are the same. '85 and later use a remote washer pump (better, IMHO) but either style wiper motor can be used with the '84-up wiper switch.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I believe... you do have to change the wiper motor. If changing the wiper motor I do believe... you have to change the wiper linkage in the cowl area too.

Take lots of pics and im sure @HotRodPC , @RetroC10Sport and @chengny and others will help out :)

I am planning on doing an 84' column with intermittent and tilt into an 83' which has tilt but no other features. So I will be following closely :popcorn:

You may only need to change the arm on the wiper motor. I am currently running a 78 wiper motor in an 86 cab. I have a universal washer pump mounted on the firewall below it with the wires connected to the wires for the washer pump on the stock motor.

Positrack

Reaction score
First Name
Clark
Truck Year
'76 and '78
Truck Model
K25 and K30
Engine Size
400 in both
'78-'84 wiper motors are the same. '85 and later use a remote washer pump (better, IMHO) but either style wiper motor can be used with the '84-up wiper switch.

Good to hear. I've looked up the part and they LOOKED the same except for the lack of washer pump, but I didn't know if they might be different somehow electrically.

I agree completely on the remote pump. The stockers are nothing but aggravation both in use and reliability. An electric universal pump will be used from the get-go on this.

You may only need to change the arm on the wiper motor. I am currently running a 78 wiper motor in an 86 cab. I have a universal washer pump mounted on the firewall below it with the wires connected to the wires for the washer pump on the stock motor.

Good to know, but assuming the motor will work with the newer column-mounted wiper controls and delay module, I should be good. The motor, linkage, and cab all match ('78).

I haven't done any wiring yet, but a couple things I have had to deal with so far for this swap:
-the newer column came with a backup light switch, but there are no separate neutral safety switch terminals like they used on the '78. I just swapped the switch from my old column.
-the newer column did not come with the gear indicator cable and bracket and has no provisions for one. The one from the '78 would not work as-is even if I cut a slot in the shift collar because the back of it hit the larger plastic wire conduit at about the neutral position. In order to use the old cable assembly, I had to cut the little arm off the screw bracket and weld it on the other side so the bracket is as far away from the conduit as possible. This was fun with a stick welder, but it gave me just enough clearance for full shift range. I then cut a slot in the collar as the original '78 column had for mounting. I'm sure that's clear as mud, but I'll post some pics when I get them uploaded if anyone's interested. I would like to know how the later gear indicators worked though...
-the ignition switch is also different. The connectors are compatible, but the switch on the newer column was somewhat worn so I swapped the actual switch components with those from the '78 column (which was like new). The basic components are the same; only the bracket is different between the two. My advice: buy a new one. I got the job done, but assembling an ignition switch is like putting Humpty-Dumpty back together except in this case, he's greased and spring loaded.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AzLuke