82 K10 Gas Tank Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Alright, so the saga continues! My driver's side gas tank is leaking, so I'm just biting the bullet and replacing both...

What is the best replacement tank that's no-rust and not super expensive (or where's the best place/price)?

It's two 16 gallons and I'm wondering if I should get any new straps or anything else while I'm doing this?

I guess I should also add now as well...is there anything preventing me from adding two 20 gallon tanks? It's a long bed K10. I was under the impression that all long beds came with 20s, but apparently not!

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I think the only real difference between 16 and 20s are the fuel fill hoses. I think? LOL

RockAuto probably has the cheapest tanks. Our tanks are super cheap! It is a good time to spend the dough and get new sending units to go with your new tanks.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
And replace all the rubber hoses and clamps back there while you are into it.

No difference in the filler hoses, fuel lines, senders, mounting straps or anything else between the 16 and 20 gallon tanks. Same-same. The tank is a bit longer is all.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
And replace all the rubber hoses and clamps back there while you are into it.

No difference in the filler hoses, fuel lines, senders, mounting straps or anything else between the 16 and 20 gallon tanks. Same-same. The tank is a bit longer is all.

It is impossible to use the same filler hoses on a different length tank because they are hard formed hoses and you need to shorten them in the middle. You can not simply shorten the hose because you will never get it onto the tank.

Vice versa going from a 20 to a 16 you would not reach the tank with the hose. And although it doesn't sound like much of a difference there is quite a considerable difference in where the short 16 gallon tanks end vs the 20 gallon tanks!

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It is impossible to use the same filler hoses on a different length tank because they are hard formed hoses and you need to shorten them in the middle. You can not simply shorten the hose because you will never get it onto the tank.

Vice versa going from a 20 to a 16 you would not reach the tank with the hose. And although it doesn't sound like much of a difference there is quite a considerable difference in where the short 16 gallon tanks end vs the 20 gallon tanks!

LMC shows only one part number for the filler hose and vent hose, regardless of whether it is the 16- or 20-gallon tank, but looking at pics of the two tanks, I think you may be right. It sure looks like the filler hose fitting on the tank will end up in a different spot.

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
There's a Hell of a lot of sending units...which one are people liking best? I am on RockAuto. Also, please forgive my ignorance, but will it make a difference on any of this new equipment since the engine is swapped to a 350tbi? Tanks are the OEM for the 82, as far as I can tell. Just want to make sure I am doing it right the first time.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
There's a Hell of a lot of sending units...which one are people liking best? I am on RockAuto. Also, please forgive my ignorance, but will it make a difference on any of this new equipment since the engine is swapped to a 350tbi? Tanks are the OEM for the 82, as far as I can tell. Just want to make sure I am doing it right the first time.

If you are going to do a TBI swap, buy tanks for an 87'. They have internal baffles to keep the fuel pump supplied under low fuel/cornering conditions, since there is no float bowl to cover temporary losses of fuel like in a carburetor.

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
If you are going to do a TBI swap, buy tanks for an 87'. They have internal baffles to keep the fuel pump supplied under low fuel/cornering conditions, since there is no float bowl to cover temporary losses of fuel like in a carburetor.

I'm not doing the swap, it's been done...just not 100%. I had to add an o2 sensor a couple weeks ago since the person who did the swap (Previous owner) never did. The 87 tanks will bolt right up, no problem? Anything else to check for/replace?

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Any recommendations on sending unit from RockAuto? Seems to be quite a few choices. I'm having a local mechanic who has done this before install, so I'd imagine the hoses could come from any auto parts store, I think they have NAPA or someone drop parts off. That may be better than winging it on the possibly one-size hoses.

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Want to get a cart together this weekend on Rock Auto, so I really would appreciate feedback from anyone. Just want to make sure I do this right...first squarebody, so still learning the tricks and tips.

Thank you in advance!

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I redid my dual setup a few years ago. I actually found that autozone was cheaper than RockAuto..then. I bought Spectre tank and sending unit. You should buy 87 tanks if you have TBI. I wanted to get new hoses but it was too confusing to figure out which ones I needed. I somehow have factory metal piping. See link below

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showpost.php?p=197891&postcount=6

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thanks for the reply! Pretty sure mine are rubber, but I will double check tomorrow if I remember. I am going to do the 87s, hopefully that will help her run a little better! Still some work to do.

Oddly enough, I noticed that my cab light doesn't come on with my drivers door, but it does with the pass. side door open. The driver's side switch in the door jamb is different, so I may try replacing them both. Love the truck to death, but it's one thing after the next! LOL

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Ok, so I actually postponed this to do some front axle work.

But now I'm finishing up my parts list and I want to get a new fuel selector valve. The truck is an 82 with a 90 Suburban TBI. I am putting 20 gallon 1987 truck tanks w/ the baffles. Is the ACDELCO 15548979 part the correct piece? Is there a cheaper option that will work?

Also I will probably replace the hoses, so I know there is a material that is resistant to Ethanol, so can I just get those through NAPA or something?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
SAE 30R9 hose is good for ethanol.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Ok, so I actually postponed this to do some front axle work.

But now I'm finishing up my parts list and I want to get a new fuel selector valve. The truck is an 82 with a 90 Suburban TBI. I am putting 20 gallon 1987 truck tanks w/ the baffles. Is the ACDELCO 15548979 part the correct piece? Is there a cheaper option that will work?

Also I will probably replace the hoses, so I know there is a material that is resistant to Ethanol, so can I just get those through NAPA or something?

You can get the valve from Pollak. They are probably the original manufacturer. They sell a lot of fuel switching and fuel tank related products for RVs and such.

Also made in the USA.

http://www.carid.com/john-pollack/fuel-tank-selector-valve-mpn-42-159.html

http://products.pollakaftermarket.c...-valves/light-truck-6-port-motor-driven-valve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
south456