Dual fuel tank filling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Adding sumps to a fuel tank is no big deal. It's been done time and time again. Preferably you start with a new tank, but you can safely weld on a used tank if the proper precautions are taken. I see zero issue with adding a crossover tube, if a shutoff valve is used at both tank outlets.

Another option is to tee the supply lines from the tank to a single electric fuel pump and use a bypass style regulator. Then run the return line back to the tank area and tee it off to each tank. The factory senders will need the return pipe lengthened to reach near the bottom of the tank. Doing this will turn the return line into a siphon tube that balances the level in both tanks. It's simple and effective, and also how GM did it on the '03-'09 medium duty trucks with the optional dual tank.

MarineOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Adding sumps to a fuel tank is no big deal. It's been done time and time again. Preferably you start with a new tank, but you can safely weld on a used tank if the proper precautions are taken. I see zero issue with adding a crossover tube, if a shutoff valve is used at both tank outlets.

Another option is to tee the supply lines from the tank to a single electric fuel pump and use a bypass style regulator. Then run the return line back to the tank area and tee it off to each tank. The factory senders will need the return pipe lengthened to reach near the bottom of the tank. Doing this will turn the return line into a siphon tube that balances the level in both tanks. It's simple and effective, and also how GM did it on the '03-'09 medium duty trucks with the optional dual tank.
Thankyou :) someone who knows my idea isn't crazy or dangerous and pretty commonly done this way

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Welding on a tank put a garden hose in a car tailpipe leave the car running put the other end in the tank. Your tank now is filled with inert gas under pressure. No oxygen no kaboom.

MarineOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
It wouldn't blow up anyway. Has Noone welded a gas tank before?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Back in the day (80's -90's), there used to be a company that marketed the dual tank fill set up like you've shown. I'm sure if you looked in some old Peterson's 4 Wheel and Off Road you'd find adds for this. I can't recall the name of the company.

Granias12

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
V-8
Thank you for the tip MarineOne I have an 87 dual tank set up I was trying to get to where I can fill both tanks at once. I was going to use more rubber line than you did but I like the stainless option. I like the passenger side fill up because in the city almost everyone has driver fill up and all the new gas stations are directional pull in. Especially sam's club which always has the cheapest gas. Since I traded my TBI for carb I installed 2 external pumps into a regulator and have the switches inside to activate the pump. This has helped with theft because you have to throw 3 switches to activate the first pump.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
It wouldn't blow up anyway. Has Noone welded a gas tank before?
I have, but I had a garden hose in the tailpipe of a running car blowng the tank full of inert gas. It was how I learned to do it,and the only way I've done it. How do you do it.

MarineOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
I have, but I had a garden hose in the tailpipe of a running car blowng the tank full of inert gas. It was how I learned to do it,and the only way I've done it. How do you do it.
I just blow it out real well if it had gas recently I will parts wash it and dry it good

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

That's a neat idea.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
At work, the welders (body guys) fill the gas tanks with water, then weld them.

I watched one old guy (I was younger then) put the torch over the fill and the tank would go "fum". He did it a few more times until the tank stopped talking and then brazed it empty. Kids, don't try this at home.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg