80 C10 "Nemo" Build - Started as: Front frame buckled…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trucksareforwork

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yes, and the cool part (I think) is that though I’m swapping the frame, I actually got the original clean title and the vin plate from the donor vehicle. That will make for a nice “by the way” with the truck if I ever sell it.

Trucksareforwork

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Made it out to the shop to start on the cab floor. It’s a combination of good metal and Swiss cheese.

You must be registered for see images attach

My task is to cut out the inner rockers and the floor pans, which have been overlaid with sheet metal tack welded to rusted metal.

I started on the driver side and got most of the inner rocker and all of the floor pan cut out without too much damage to the surrounding area and supports. I cut too deep in a few spots that should be fixable with a weld and grind. The supports are in pretty good shape overall.

I’m going to try to get this side cleaned up and patched tomorrow. I should have enough time to make some progress.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yes, and the cool part (I think) is that though I’m swapping the frame, I actually got the original clean title and the vin plate from the donor vehicle. That will make for a nice “by the way” with the truck if I ever sell it.
Make sure you buy the correct rosette rivets. $60 for 4 on ebay.

Trucksareforwork

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Lots of progress this weekend.

Got the floors in the driver and passenger footwells. Got the inner rockers in as well. I can no longer see daylight through the floorboards.

The center rear under seat part of the floor is a different story. Since there isn’t a patch panel that I could find; I decided to do a combination of rust kill, sheet metal reinforcement, and kitty hair. It’s still in progress but progressing nicely. Here’s a pic of the floors at the moment.

I still have a lot of finish work to do just to get the cab to “drivable,” but am at the point where with some minor sand and fill, cleanup and epoxy and I should be able to get the body back on the frame within the timeframe I had in mind.

Other progress
- rear shocks installed
- removed and cleaned the driver side drum brake hardware, and then realized I hadn’t received my new brake shoes from rockauto. So I’m on hold there.

- installed the new core support brackets.

- my son started wire cupping the engine to start getting it ready for some minor mods and cleanup.

Besides finishing the necessary parts of the exterior of the cab, which isn’t trivial (probably a full day), I need to get the front suspension ported over. That’s a big deal.

Still, I may be on schedule for driving the truck out of this shop at the end of the month.

Trucksareforwork

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I finally rebuilt the driver side drum brakes on the rear. Have to admit that I’ve never done it and other than having to keep referencing where parts go, I was surprised that the brakes aren’t as complex as they look once you get into them.

While I can’t say it was a joy to do, I’m not dreading the passenger side at the moment.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I finally rebuilt the driver side drum brakes on the rear. Have to admit that I’ve never done it and other than having to keep referencing where parts go, I was surprised that the brakes aren’t as complex as they look once you get into them.

While I can’t say it was a joy to do, I’m not dreading the passenger side at the moment.
Are you sure you have the shoes correctly? usually you have 2 leading and 2 trailing and they have less friction material on the leading and yours look identical???

Trucksareforwork

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Are you sure you have the shoes correctly? usually you have 2 leading and 2 trailing and they have less friction material on the leading and yours look identical???
Thank you for looking. I will check again when I'm back in the shop. That would be unfortunate but on brand for me. I do everything I learn on my own twice.

Just checked pictures of the shoes I bought and I suspect you are right. Thanks again for looking. I would hope that I would notice when I do the other side but am really glad for the feedback.

The good news is I should be able to re-do in like 20 mins after learning.

Here’s my before pic. Clearly I missed that. Thanks Benny.

Last edited:

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Looks good! I prefer drums in the rear personally. A little More work but i only have to do it 1 time- to 3 or 4 times for front disk replacement usually.
I fully agree. Drums usually get better stopping power, better handling, and better mpg. Their only real weakness is rain/ mud and people that can't figure out how to change them. Once you invest in some basic tools, they're pretty easy.

Trucksareforwork

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Got the front suspension clear of the old frame and continued scrubbing and degreasing until weather derailed it. I was surprised at how loose some of the fasteners were. Not sure what to make of that. The motor mounts were maybe hand tight and a few of the crossmember bolts were not exactly torqued either.

Had my middle son scrubbing the suspension and my oldest starting to breakdown the motor.

Plan for tomorrow is to get the fro t suspension broken down further and painted, and then installed. Then we will at least have a roller.

Trucksareforwork

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Got the front suspension slathered with paint and installed today.

Also rebuilt the engine mounts. The old ones needed it.

We got into the engine to change out the cam and just get a look at things. 4 bolt mains and what look like generic roller rockers. Cylinder walls looked ok from what I can see. We got the updates done and will button it up and paint tomorrow.

tomorrow’s focus is on finishing off the engine and continuing repopulating the frame with all bracketry etc. stretch goal will be putting engine and trans back in the frame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe