79 C10 Burban - Replacement for Stock Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AMT1379

Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Suburban
Engine Size
Successfully made it to the Cape and back in the suburban. This was the first longer trip so I was able to get a better feel for it. I think even with the low miles, the original shocks are shot. I'm feeling a ton of spongy bounce from moderate road bumps. Feels like I'm being pushed all over the road with even moderate breezes, and there is a under/oversteering issue.

Since it is such a low miles truck (now clocking (12,700), I am not looking to modify, but I could use a recommendation for new replacement shocks. And I'm definitely looking for advice on any other areas I should be looking at to fix these problems.

Made for some white knuckle moments with the kids in the back, which was less than fun. http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/images/smilies/Insane.gif

- Aaron

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
I own a truck with 30,000 original miles, when I got it you would be surprised how much stuff was wrong with it, just because it sat for so long,

you can go to local auto parts store and pick up shocks for a fairly decent price, my advice would be get the more expensive ones

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Monroe Gas Magnums

AMT1379

Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Suburban
Engine Size
Thanks, those Monroe shocks have really good reviews. I'll probably go with those.

marks86, I'd be interested in knowing more about what you found when you started going through your truck. So far I've got rough idle from a carb that seems to be getting fouled (I'm guessing from old gas or in the tank), this suspension issue, and a dead temp gauge.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Thanks, those Monroe shocks have really good reviews. I'll probably go with those.

marks86, I'd be interested in knowing more about what you found when you started going through your truck. So far I've got rough idle from a carb that seems to be getting fouled (I'm guessing from old gas or in the tank), this suspension issue, and a dead temp gauge.

the main thing I noticed was rubber, anything to do with it, bushings, seals, weather stripping. Also Fuel anything to do with it. Rebuild/replace carb, drop gas tank clean, replace, I tried to skip some of these steps and in the long run I was chasing problems around and it eventually just came back to these things

AMT1379

Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Suburban
Engine Size
I'll check out Konis too.

mark86, what about the body mounts?

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
I'll check out Konis too.

mark86, what about the body mounts?

take a look at them, if you don't know snap a picture. I or someone else on this forum will be happy to tell you if there in need of replacement or not, If they need to be replaced I would suggest poly mounts

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1