77 seat belt recoil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lcfman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
My 77 drivers side seat belt will not always recoil making impossible to use the seat belt when this happens. I can jingle it sometimes at the base and it will then recoil. Is there a fix or hack or do I need to buy a new seat belt assembly. I find that aftermarket parts are a crap shoot and prefer to stay with GM oe parts when possible.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
We’ve discussed gutting the seatbelt assembly of the switch mechanism that the door being closed is supposed to engage. That, however, would render the seatbelt only visually compliant and wouldn’t help you in the event of the crash because the seatbelt wouldn’t tense up. I’d like to know the same thing because neither of the front seatbelts work in my car, which those use essentially the same thing as the trucks, and I imagine my truck is destined for the same fate. I was not able to find anything concrete to rectify this issue, which blows my mind since seatbelts were already mandated equipment at this time, and there should be a rebuild kit of some sort available.

86Peter454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
a couple things. id start by pulling as much of the belt out you can then clamp it so it cant retract.

then wash the belt with some dawn dish soap or laundry detergent. sometimes the grime over time (look at me i can rhyme) causes the belt to not retract. while its pulled out you could wd inside the mechanism to try to help that along. (be sure to let the belt dry as much as possible before letting it retract back)

then the other thing to check. the plastic cover (if yours has it) up on the cab corner like by your shoulder. pop that off and see if it retracts better. mine was rubbign the belt causing it to not retract. i shaved some plastic off and its much better now. could be worth a shot.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
then wash the belt with some dawn dish soap or laundry detergent. sometimes the grime over time (look at me i can rhyme) causes the belt to not retract.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wacky