77 fresh air duct

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lcfman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Thanks for all the info I think I will order the duct from LMC. Another thing I was thinking about doing is enlarging the core support hole opening as on my truck it is about 75 % blocked at the hose attachment assembly . I don't know why GM closed off so much of the hole, maybe it was some sort of increased flow with the smaller opening. It seems to me a full hole would be better.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
It would. But their brain was only half functioning.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Here's something I've done with several of my trucks. I cut the opening cover off so it is more of a ram air affect. I done forge water, so that's not an issue and I've never had an issue with rain.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Best truck design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chas
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra C2500
Engine Size
My 1973 Camper Special has no snorkels and we have owned it since it was 4 years old. (So they were never removed)

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
My 1973 Camper Special has no snorkels and we have owned it since it was 4 years old. (So they were never removed)

Is it an oil bath air cleaner? Cuz otherwise it should have had a snorkel on it.

lcfman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Just a follow up. I bought the LMC fresh air hose for my 77 and it fits good and looks like a good piece. LMC offers 2 lengths and I bought the shorter one and as stated it fits as it should. Thanks for the input.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You must be registered for see images

Anyone know what the fancy box is for around the inlet? 80s i think core support.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Thanks for all the info I think I will order the duct from LMC. Another thing I was thinking about doing is enlarging the core support hole opening as on my truck it is about 75 % blocked at the hose attachment assembly . I don't know why GM closed off so much of the hole, maybe it was some sort of increased flow with the smaller opening. It seems to me a full hole would be better.

I bet they designed the hole closed off partially to comply with the drive by noise restrictions. With the ever increasing governmental pollution/noise/fuel economy requirements the Big 3 had (and continue to fight) its not hard to understand why cars and trucks started to get so expensive in the mid 70s.

The Pontiac Trans Am is a perfect example. In the early 70s, the shaker air cleaner was functional. Towards the late 70s the shaker was closed off to outside air and was cosmetic only.

The tapered air intake snorkel used on air cleaners was designed to quiet the fabulous roar of the Q-Jet. To me, that’s a required driving experience!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I bet they designed the hole closed off partially to comply with the drive by noise restrictions. With the ever increasing governmental pollution/noise/fuel economy requirements the Big 3 had (and continue to fight) its not hard to understand why cars and trucks started to get so expensive in the mid 70s.

The Pontiac Trans Am is a perfect example. In the early 70s, the shaker air cleaner was functional. Towards the late 70s the shaker was closed off to outside air and was cosmetic only.

The tapered air intake snorkel used on air cleaners was designed to quiet the fabulous roar of the Q-Jet. To me, that’s a required driving experience!
79 coupe rare grille.. well half

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I need a engine fresh air duct that run from the core support to the carb air cleaner (round to oval). The only part I could find is from LMC and it for later years '80's model but none for '77. The one LMC offers looks like it might work but I am not sure. Anyone know who sells one?
I am useing a dryer duct on the setup I'm about to install on my 80. The air cleaner I have has an oval intake and the front core support duct is round. You can squeeze a 4" dryer duct to fit that oval intake. I got the black dryer hose off Amazon so it doesn't look so ghetto or like I am Peg from zip ties and bias plies spraying whole cans of canned consent into my redlined diesels.

river77

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Has anybody tried the 22" fresh air duct offered from LMC on a 77? I asked them if they thought it would fit but they won't give me an answer. My 77 came with one, there's a guy on eBay that sells them but he said he's out stock and doesn't have a clue when new ones will arrive

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I am useing a dryer duct on the setup I'm about to install on my 80. The air cleaner I have has an oval intake and the front core support duct is round. You can squeeze a 4" dryer duct to fit that oval intake. I got the black dryer hose off Amazon so it doesn't look so ghetto or like I am Peg from zip ties and bias plies spraying whole cans of canned consent into my redlined diesels.

That's good writing right there mmmhmm.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Has anybody tried the 22" fresh air duct offered from LMC on a 77? I asked them if they thought it would fit but they won't give me an answer. My 77 came with one, there's a guy on eBay that sells them but he said he's out stock and doesn't have a clue when new ones will arrive
I ran into an issue with my '85. I purchased the one for my year truck, but it turns out the one they sell is for a small block. The angle at the snorkel was wrong making it a little short. I ended up cutting the end of the hose off near the core support and purchased this silicone tube from Summit to complete the connection.

Royal Sierra 454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
15 GMC Royal Sierra
Engine Size
Both of my 1976 C-15 454 and K5 400 came with snorkels. Both from CA. Maybe an emission thing? Both still have their original Flex duct.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Both of my 1976 C-15 454 and K5 400 came with snorkels. Both from CA. Maybe an emission thing? Both still have their original Flex duct.
Wide or narrow snouts? Impressive tho. They were better for an engine overall

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave