77 Factory tach addition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lcfman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I am planning on adding an aftermarket factory style tachometer to my 77 350 ci truck. My truck has the factory big fuel gauge and I will need to add the small fuel gauge where the current emergency brake light hole is. My question will the wiring just switch over from the big gauge to the small gauge or will I need additional wiring or harness?

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
you will need the tach harness the E-brake and fuel gauge can be jockeyed around. highdesertranger

lcfman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Thanks for the reply. Has anyone made this conversion? I wanted to know what all is needed. Is a tach bracket, changed printed circuit board needed? I looked on the LMC site and they offer a conversion kit (no 77 back) and it included the tach, fuel gage (small), wiring harness for tach, printed circuit board, addition bracket for tach and assembly hardware. Is all that necessary?

Nonstop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
When I did mine years ago, factory MD Diesel tach, I just got the tach, harness, and printed circuit. The harness can likely be shifted around, but I went with the circuit instead as it seemed like less of a hassle. Come to think of it, I think I still had to change some wires around, but was not that hard.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I have a '75 Tach cluster, and the tachometer wiring is a separate plug with 3 wires (power, ground, tach signal). I assume they use the same setup for a '77. The connections for the fuel gauge would be the spring clips in the cluster and posts on the back of the gauge, so there must be some way to route that signal over to the new gauge location. If I was doing it manually I would just use a jumper wire, but maybe they have a more elegant solution.

Bruce

Best truck design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chas
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra C2500
Engine Size
Lmc sells what you need. I have my eye on doing the same thing. I will need two gauges, one tach, one fuel, the bracket for the tach and the extra wire (small) loom.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Best truck design - I also used info from an internet article to convert my ammeter over to a voltmeter on my '75 cluster. You might want to consider that, since the old ammeter gauges seldom work correctly.

Bruce

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Best truck design - I also used info from an internet article to convert my ammeter over to a voltmeter on my '75 cluster. You might want to consider that, since the old ammeter gauges seldom work correctly.

Bruce
In my 75 K20 the ammeter needle points down to 6 oclock and when it fires up it swings toward 5 oclock. Had the cluster apart , don't have a clue what went wrong, but it does charge!

Best truck design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chas
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra C2500
Engine Size

Bruce
Thanks I will do that! Probably to the Chevelle as well!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kipps5000